Spring Training Dining Guide

Food news, food media and other food-related topics
PHXeater

6 years ago

Saw someone post this link on CH and checked it out. Wow, this ESPN writer is spot on with a ton of restaurants. Obviously there are some missed but his Maryvale advice alone is impressive :)

http://meadowparty.com/blog/?p=2669
M_L

6 years ago

Clearly the guy has done some legwork.
Lunchbox

6 years ago

Yeah this is a nice list... I get asked about this all the time... As a Brewers fan, I couldn't agree more about Maryvale... But we just tailgate anyway so it doesn't matter much...
-- LBX

Instagram: @zachary.garcia

Twitter: @zach_garcia
themis

6 years ago

I feel as if he completely drops the ball on Goodyear and Surprise. Peoria, too. Fairly obviously an eastsider. Although, if the Saigon Kitchen he mentions is the same people whose store burned down in Avondale, that was the best banh xeo I have ever had, and is definitely worth a stop.

There is plenty of good food near Maryvale. I never hated seeing clients there the way I did, say, Tolleson.
Dapuma

6 years ago

yeah pretty good list
CWeb

6 years ago

He's pretty knowledgeable about food in general. He was actually a fan of the SD blog, and the Top Chef recaps Dominic did inspired him to do some of his own.
Skillet Doux

6 years ago

CWeb wrote:He's pretty knowledgeable about food in general. He was actually a fan of the SD blog, and the Top Chef recaps Dominic did inspired him to do some of his own.
News to me!
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
Keith Law

6 years ago

I had lunch with Laura Hahnefeld of Chow Bella/PNT and her husband today, and they alerted me to the existence of this thread.

Thank you all for the kind words on the list - and yes, Dom, Skillet Doux is still in my RSS reader for the occasional Quarterly Report and such.

Suggested additions to the list are welcome, either here or (preferably) in the comments on the original post where more of my readers will see it. I intend to update the post as often as possible between now and the end of spring training.

Keith
Skillet Doux

6 years ago

Wahey! Welcome, Keith! Glad you found (or were introduced, as the case may be) to us :-)
Keith Law wrote:Thank you all for the kind words on the list - and yes, Dom, Skillet Doux is still in my RSS reader for the occasional Quarterly Report and such.
Yyyyyeah, I should probably be taking care of the blog more than once a quarter, but you can see where my efforts have been lately. I think PHXfoodnerds could mean a whole lot more in the long run.

Anyway, I think it's completely awesome that you're using the big megaphone to steer folks towards more than the usual middle of the road stuff (not that there's anything wrong with some of that middle of the road stuff). I'm a couple of weeks behind in updating, but the Geographical Index should be a really easy way to pull up threads based on the restaurants' proximity to the different stadiums. It's unabridged -- just means we talked about it, not that we liked it -- but it's an easy way to filter by area.

Come on by and talk grub anytime :-)
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Keith Law

6 years ago

Skillet Doux wrote:I'm a couple of weeks behind in updating, but the Geographical Index should be a really easy way to pull up threads based on the restaurants' proximity to the different stadiums. It's unabridged -- just means we talked about it, not that we liked it -- but it's an easy way to filter by area.
That's very useful, thanks. The coffee place in Avondale will be on my to-do list this month. It looks like you've had some of the same trouble I've had out west - there just aren't the same caliber of places out by those ballparks that there are near the two Scottsdale parks or closer to Phoenix Muni. It's a shame, since with nine of the fifteen teams training west of I-17 plus Fall League teams in Peoria and Surprise, I'm out that way a ton for work.

I'm glad to see there are more and more of us advocating for the Phoenix/Valley food scene. I've been blown away since moving here two-plus years ago by how many great places there are at all price points. You can spend all of spring training here without exhausting the supply of restaurants. I'll be sure to keep an eye out here for new suggestions. Thanks again.

Keith
Skillet Doux

6 years ago

The regulars here definitely tend more towards the east than the west, but I think that's just how it happens to have shaken out in the early going, and I hope and expect that that will change as we get more established. Themis lives south, but drives all around the city for work and seems to have a treasure trove of good joints on the west side. If you search the word "west" and specify her username on the search page, I bet you'll turn up quite a bit (I'm on a phone at the moment or I'd give you a link... just look up and right). Phxmacbear lives out in that direction as well, and though misterk has left us for the Bay Area, he's done quite a bit of exploring on the west side and has a good list of central Asian joints that sound mighty interesting.

Long story short, even given the limited amount of time I've spent on the west side, I think there's plenty of great eats out there... they're just less obvious and well-promoted, perhps. Again, that's the kind of thing I hope we'll help to remedy.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Mike Z

3 years ago

The Cubbie's emailed me . . .

"Fans will enjoy two new food carts at the ballpark this year, with offerings from fan-favorite Chicago establishments Hot Doug’s and Portillo's"

Let's hope the Hot Doug's line is nothing like what it was back in Chicago
Mike Z

3 years ago

I never made it to Hot Doug’s in Chicago before it closed, so had to try one of the two dogs on offer at the Cub’s game (even at $9 a pop). Bad picture, and it was sloppily constructed, but here’s The Champ Summers, spicy Vienna Polish with a nice kick, craft beer mustard, and French’s onion. Man, that was a good dog

Two locations. One under the bleachers and one a cart on the third base line with barely a wait

https://www.facebook.com/hotdougs/?fref=ts
HotDougsdog.jpg
The Champ Summers
HotDougsdog.jpg (138.01 KiB) Viewed 1966 times
HotDougs.jpg
HotDougs.jpg (132.93 KiB) Viewed 1966 times
Skillet Doux

3 years ago

Let me guess... you were going to get the Steve Trachsel but it took them over 20 minutes to make it?

#cubshumor

In all seriousness, I can't make out what's on the Trachsel... do you remember?
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Mike Z

3 years ago

It was a jalapeno cheddar sausage

I was going to get the Keith Moreland, but I didn't want them to drop a routine sausage