Pimp Your Project

Food news, food media and other food-related topics
PHXeater

5 years ago

Not my project but I'm pimping it anyways. A good friend of mine (Adam Hargett) and Chef Chris McKinley (of Atlas Bistro) are opening up a new place in downtown Phoenix called "The Local". I hope to be out for a visit as soon as they open and hopefully will see a long, glowing thread about this place one day. I don't know Chris McKinley but have known Adam for many years, from when he started out as a bar back at Merc Bar and worked his way to GM; I'm very excited to see how they do.

http://iamthelocal.com/
exit2lef

5 years ago

PHXeater wrote:Not my project but I'm pimping it anyways. A good friend of mine (Adam Hargett) and Chef Chris McKinley (of Atlas Bistro) are opening up a new place in downtown Phoenix called "The Local". I hope to be out for a visit as soon as they open and hopefully will see a long, glowing thread about this place one day. I don't know Chris McKinley but have known Adam for many years, from when he started out as a bar back at Merc Bar and worked his way to GM; I'm very excited to see how they do.

http://iamthelocal.com/
The location will be the site briefly occupied by Scratch at 3rd St & Roosevelt. Scratch's brief life there was unfortunate, but I'm glad these two are going to open a restaurant there. The building, sometimes known as "Canvas" and once the scary "Libations" liquor store, is at a key corner in the heart of Roosevelt Row and deserves a productive use.
Mike Todd

5 years ago

I really enjoyed Chris's food at Atlas, and I work right down the street from that spot. I'm pretty excited to see what those guys will bring to the neighborhood.
exit2lef

5 years ago

exit2lef wrote:With the announced shutdown of Google Reader now less than two months away, I'm looking for means other than RSS to distribute content. With that in mind, I've resurrected the Facebook Page associated with my PHX Rail Food blog:

http://www.facebook.com/Phoenixrailfood
I've rebooted this page because I've finally been able obtain the custom URL I want:

http://www.facebook.com/PHXRailFood

Your "likes," if you are interested, would be most appreciated.
Desert Gal

5 years ago

Not really sure if this is the place but just in case someone wonders why I am so quiet on the board, it is because we are making the big move of my propagation operation to The Simple Farm over the next few weeks. Gah. In the middle of tomato season, with the DBG sale coming up. So if I'm absent from lunches for a while, know that I wanted to be there.
LaPan

5 years ago

I thought it was me. Phew.
Skillet Doux

5 years ago

Excited to see the works after the move :-)
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
BarbaraToombs

5 years ago

Exciting! Keep us posted! :)
Desert Gal

5 years ago

LaPan wrote:I thought it was me. Phew.
LOL!
AZScott

5 years ago

As an update to the barbecue restaurant Little Miss BBQ that I have been working on we are finally opening. We will be opening tomorrow and our weekly schedule will be Tuesday through Saturday from 11am to 4pm or until we sell out. As we begin and try to gauge what our daily needs are we will be cooking conservatively so if you come, come early. We will be posting to facebook when we sell out to save any wasted trips.

Little Miss BBQ
4301 E. University
Phoenix, 85034
www.littlemissbbq.com
BarbaraToombs

5 years ago

AZScott wrote:As an update to the barbecue restaurant Little Miss BBQ that I have been working on we are finally opening. We will be opening tomorrow and our weekly schedule will be Tuesday through Saturday from 11am to 4pm or until we sell out. As we begin and try to gauge what our daily needs are we will be cooking conservatively so if you come, come early. We will be posting to facebook when we sell out to save any wasted trips.

Little Miss BBQ
4301 E. University
Phoenix, 85034
http://www.littlemissbbq.com
Great! Lunchbox, wanna check this out soon?
exit2lef

5 years ago

AZScott wrote:As an update to the barbecue restaurant Little Miss BBQ that I have been working on we are finally opening. We will be opening tomorrow and our weekly schedule will be Tuesday through Saturday from 11am to 4pm or until we sell out. As we begin and try to gauge what our daily needs are we will be cooking conservatively so if you come, come early. We will be posting to facebook when we sell out to save any wasted trips.

Little Miss BBQ
4301 E. University
Phoenix, 85034
http://www.littlemissbbq.com
Is this where the La Canasta Burrito Shop used to be?
Lunchbox

5 years ago

BarbaraToombs wrote: Great! Lunchbox, wanna check this out soon?
Yes! We're planning to hit it next week but I'm always down for some good BBQ...
-- LBX

Instagram: @zachary.garcia

Twitter: @zach_garcia
BarbaraToombs

5 years ago

Lunchbox wrote:Yes! We're planning to hit it next week but I'm always down for some good BBQ...
Well, if you're going for lunch, let me know if I can crash your party!
Desert Gal

5 years ago

I just want to put this out there for folks who are intimated by the thought of growing even the least little bit of their own food.

I know some Food Nerds (two) who really like to garden, but if your idea of growing food consists of a neglected basil in a pot on the back patio, I just want to say that is a great beginning and just as worthy as a mega-garden. Food Nerds have special status at Vilardi Gardens so if you have any aspirations of growing something you like to eat, please hit me up here via PM or the VG Facebook page, and I will try to help. My advice is free, just trying to spread the home-grown garden love! Big pepper season coming up, pepper lovers, and many can be grown in a container on the patio. Just sayin'!
Lunchbox

5 years ago

I'm really proud that my first podcast is up... I sat down with Sal from Zappones. Thread here.

Give it a listen here: Order What You Want | Eat What You Get
-- LBX

Instagram: @zachary.garcia

Twitter: @zach_garcia
ACpaceace

4 years ago

As a registered pimp in several states, I am happy to announce that the pizza oven I have designed and built is about 99% complete! Should be learning its capabilities this week...
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (143.79 KiB) Viewed 3660 times
Last edited by ACpaceace 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Desert Gal

4 years ago

ACpaceace wrote:As a registered pimp in several all states, I am happy to announce that the pizza oven I have designed and built is about 99% complete!
Congrats on both the pimp status and the nearly complete pizza oven! Looks awesome. Is there a Food Nerd test drive in our future? ;)
azhotdish

4 years ago

So I'd like to share some really exciting news on the fromage front... :lol:

I'm sure many of you have heard by now, but Downtown Phoenix is getting a cheese shop!!! As part of the Canvas Startup project put on by Marriott Hotels, we submitted a business plan, financial statements, submission video and design docs for a food & beverage concept to take over an old Starbucks at the corner of Central & Adams on the street-level of Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel. They received 134 entries, picked five finalists and last week we did our pitch...AND WON!!!

Craft + Culture is the name, and at its core, it's a cheese and charcuterie-centric eatery and bar. We'll be featuring AZ-produced beers and wines and American artisan cheese and charcuterie (those of you familiar with Petit Fromage will be familiar with the idea). Since it's right next to a light rail stop, we'll have a grab-and-go case with pastries (from Tracy Dempsey), salads, sandwiches and cheese plates in to-go packaging for those who don't chose to sit down. For everyone else, we'll have a menu of cheese & charcuterie boards, salads, grilled cheeses and other hot and cold sandwiches, some vegetable dishes and bar snacks. We're hoping to do a couple of nightly features for dinner, and will probably look into doing a brunch on Sunday shortly after we open.

We have a lot of work to do in the next couple months, and while we don't have an exact opening date, the plan is to be open sometime in April! If you'd like to keep up-to-date on the progress, I'll include the social media links below (website is coming soon).

Here's a little 12 News piece Lara did yesterday.

Craft + Culture
50 E Adams
Phoenix AZ 85004
Facebook
Instagram
---
Joel
@azhotdish
BillBuitenhuys

4 years ago

^^ most awesome thing I've heard about in quite a while! So happy for you both.