Pimp Your Project

Food news, food media and other food-related topics
Lunchbox

6 years ago

Joanie wrote:Zach Garcia was brilliant on Restaurant Live AZ today! Spreading the Food Nerd love and talking about Beckett's Table. Thanks for calling in, Zach! Side note, all Phx Food Nerds are welcome on the show. If you want to call in or have something to talk about, just let me know. Here's the link to the episode featuring Zach http://restaurantliveaz.com/wp-content/ ... ay_1st.mp3
Thanks Joanie! It was super fun!
-- LBX

Instagram: @zachary.garcia

Twitter: @zach_garcia
golbsalt

6 years ago

Zach, it sounds like you were a bit modest when relating your call in story last night! I happen to know for a fact that Joanie is working on her use of adjectives... so "brilliant" is pretty impressive! Well done! On a side note, I'm pretty stoked about the waiving of the corkage fee at Atlas!
blog.golbsalt.com - "happiness IS just a lick away!"
@_go_lb_salt_ or @fhmarket
PHXeater

6 years ago

Trying to work my way through recording but work seems to keep getting in the way....what is this about no corkage at Atlas? Details please!
golbsalt

6 years ago

On the Joanie's - Restaurant Live AZ website, the post regarding yesterday's show (http://restaurantliveaz.com/2013/05/wined-and-dined/) concludes by saying..."if you mention Restaurant Live AZ" they will waive the corkage fee."
blog.golbsalt.com - "happiness IS just a lick away!"
@_go_lb_salt_ or @fhmarket
exit2lef

6 years ago

With the announced shutdown of Google Reader now less than two months away, I'm looking for means other than RSS to distribute content. With that in mind, I've resurrected the Facebook Page associated with my PHX Rail Food blog:

http://www.facebook.com/Phoenixrailfood

I had maintained a previous version of this page for years but found it wasn't generating much traffic compared to Google Reader. Nevertheless, any assumptions based on previous traffic patterns will cease to apply when Google pulls the plug on Reader July 1.

Please "like" the PHX Rail Food page if you're interested. Even better, "double like" by clicking "show in newsfeed" or "add to interests lists" or whatever else Facebook makes users do to make it clear that they really want to see updates from a particular page.
M_L

6 years ago

exit2lef wrote:With the announced shutdown of Google Reader now less than two months away, I'm looking for means other than RSS to distribute content.
There should be some other feed options to push your page through. Not certain what you would need to do but some popular options:

Feedly
TheOldReader

You may want to checkout this article http://lifehacker.com/5990881/five-best ... ternatives
exit2lef

6 years ago

M_L wrote:
exit2lef wrote:With the announced shutdown of Google Reader now less than two months away, I'm looking for means other than RSS to distribute content.
There should be some other feed options to push your page through. Not certain what you would need to do but some popular options:

Feedly
TheOldReader

You may want to checkout this article http://lifehacker.com/5990881/five-best ... ternatives
Thanks. I'm aware of those options and have been exploring them for my own personal RSS consumption. My concern is not that RSS will suddenly go away on July 1 or that my feed will cease on that date. Neither will happen. I do think that RSS will become less prominent, though, with Google having effectively abandoned it.
M_L

6 years ago

exit2lef wrote:I do think that RSS will become less prominent, though, with Google having effectively abandoned it.
Sadly that is probably the case, unfortunate since I find RSS to be the most efficient method to consume large quantities of information in a short amount of time.
BarbaraToombs

6 years ago

Hey guys, decided to do a long-overdue blog post on POSH Restaurant, with a particular focus on Ramen Night.

If you're interested, here's the link:

http://dineoutphoenix.com/blog/split-pe ... e-streets/

(It's written for the masses, so forgive my detailed descriptions of ramen and okonomiyaki!!) :)
Desert Gal

6 years ago

Me and many of my cohorts get a shout out in the latest New Times Gardening blog.

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bella/ ... desert.php

I must mention that The Urban Farm is NOT a nursery and the Singh Farms Compost should be tested before using as it may not be composted completely and has been known to burn up gardens.
BarbaraToombs

6 years ago

Woot! Nice, Suzanne!! :)
AZScott

6 years ago

I'm sure some of you have seen my posts about barbecue but recently we chose to pursue a dream of ours and open a barbecue restaurant similar to what we visit when we go to Austin. We bought a massive custom offset smoker from Texas and are trying to get a place opened up. We have a signed lease and are currently waiting to get our outdoor cooking variance before our lease commences. Long story short, hopefully we will be open at the beginning of the year.

Recently, we have started selling barbecue out at the Phoenix Central Market on Saturdays during the normal farmers market hours. Each week we sell brisket, beef short ribs, pulled pork, pork ribs and our custom sausage. We often will be doing a special, like beef belly, which we will be serving tomorrow. It's straight up meat market style. The meats are cut in front of you and sold by the pound like Rudy's or Texas BBQ House. Bread, pickles, onions and sauce are on the side. If anyone is in the mood for BBQ, come on down.

Here's a couple of shots for you.

Lunchbox

6 years ago

Awesome Scott! Can't wait to try your 'Q! Judging by these pictures it looks like you know your stuff...
AZScott wrote:We have a signed lease and are currently waiting to get our outdoor cooking variance before our lease commences. Long story short, hopefully we will be open at the beginning of the year.
If you don't mind me asking, what part of town are you going to be in?
-- LBX

AZScott

6 years ago

Thanks! We have practiced countless times over the last 3 years to get where we are today. We are still tweaking a little here and there, especially the sauces and sides, but we are pretty happy with everything.

We will be just west of the 143 on University. It took us absolutely forever to find a location since we have wanted to cook on offsets since day 1. In Phoenix you need to be 300 feet from any residential structure. That, along with the age of many buildings in central Phoenix, eliminated our desired area in central Phoenix.
Last edited by AZScott 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
BarbaraToombs

6 years ago

Lunchbox! Not far from work...we'll have to check it out!!
Lunchbox

5 years ago

AZScott wrote:Thanks! We have practiced countless times over the last 3 years to get where we are today. We are still tweaking a little here and there, especially the sauces and sides, but we are pretty happy with everything.

We will be just west of the 143 on University. It took us absolutely forever to find a location since we have wanted to cook on offsets since day 1. In Phoenix you need to be 300 feet from any residential structure. That, along with the age of many buildings in central Phoenix, eliminated our desired area in central Phoenix.
Hey Scott it's been a few months... How's this looking?
-- LBX

Lunchbox

5 years ago

I had a chance to speak to Lisa Fetterman on my podcast (The Great Business Podcast) about how she raised money to start Nomiku on Kickstarter. It's not super food related but there's a little talk about it. It was pretty fun to hear the backstory...

Listen here.
-- LBX

AZScott

5 years ago

It's looking like, hopefully, it will be two weeks until we open. I have a big meeting with MCHD on Thursday to discuss a few items relating to our smoker and the idea of of cooking only enough BBQ for service each day is a foreign concept here so they have a couple questions about my business plan. I'll keep you posted or PM you when a date is set. I absolutely can't wait to start cooking again.
Skillet Doux

5 years ago

AZScott wrote:...the idea of of cooking only enough BBQ for service each day is a foreign concept here...
Excuse me while I stick a fork in my heart.

Fight the good fight, Scott... looking forward to it :-)
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
Lunchbox

5 years ago

AZScott wrote:It's looking like, hopefully, it will be two weeks until we open. I have a big meeting with MCHD on Thursday to discuss a few items relating to our smoker and the idea of of cooking only enough BBQ for service each day is a foreign concept here so they have a couple questions about my business plan. I'll keep you posted or PM you when a date is set. I absolutely can't wait to start cooking again.
Can't wait! Definitely let me know!
-- LBX