Sichuan, szechuan, or szechwan

Food news, food media and other food-related topics
PHXeater

4 years ago

Someone just tell me which one to use!
BillBuitenhuys

4 years ago

I think Sichuan is correct from what I've read here and there and the other two are Anglicized attempts at phonetic spelling.
Skillet Doux

4 years ago

Sichuan (actually Sichuãn) is the Hanyu Pinyin Romanization. There are other systems for Romanizing Chinese, but I believe Hanyu Pinyin is the one officially recognized by the Chinese government.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
AZLobo

4 years ago

Skillet Doux wrote:Sichuan (actually Sichuãn) is the Hanyu Pinyin Romanization. There are other systems for Romanizing Chinese, but I believe Hanyu Pinyin is the one officially recognized by the Chinese government.
Yeah. I personally love the Wade-Giles spellings, but that's just because I'm a curmudgeon and I love old maps (also "Beijing Duck" doesn't have the same ring as "Peking Duck" does it?).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wade-Giles
J Live

4 years ago

If anyone asks why this group is the "Food Nerds" this is exhibit A (actually example #1,453).

Exhibit B is that I now want Peking Duck.
AZLobo

4 years ago

J Live wrote:If anyone asks why this group is the "Food Nerds" this is exhibit A (actually example #1,453).
HA! But seriously, I suggest picking one spelling and being consistent. They're all technically "correct" insofar as the answer to the question "what's the correct way to render the number forty-six?" can be "46" and "XLVI"…to that end, I'll be using "Szechuan."

Cross-referencing the Pho Avina meet-up tomorrow, I'd like to take this opportunity to introduce you all to one of my favorite Jesuits, to whom all food nerds are indebted for their ability to read a Vietnamese menu, Alexandre de Rhodes:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandre_de_Rhodes
olllllo

3 years ago

Late to the party.
I have a friend that pronounces is Sez Juan.
It's morphed over time to Chaise Lounge.

Carry on.
¡Salud!

Rob
BeerPHXation A local Phoenix Metro beer culture celebration and admonition
@olllllo