New restaurant rumors

Food news, food media and other food-related topics
J Live

5 years ago

Since this group seems rather plugged in I thought I'd see if anyone here knows anything about two vacant sites. The old Chuy's/Baja Loco site at 32nd and Indian School (that was a favorite spot for a drink of two for me on the way home) seems to have some activity the last couple of weeks and I see it's not longer for lease on loopnet. Anyone know anything about what might be happening there? I saw Cullen Campbell checking it out in the last days of Baja Loco. I also heard a rumor about a BBQ joint from two people in the past month. Curious about that as Angry Crab is doing BBQ just down the street. Whatever it is, I'm hoping it can continue to be my go to stop on my way home for convenience.

The other location is the SEC of 44th St. and Indian School. I live at 43rd St. and Devonshire so I'm particularly curious to see what happens with that prime location. I'm expecting it to be similar to the center across the street which is actually a great mix of places for those of us who live in the hood, just avoid the parking lot at all costs mid-day....and another strong retail center will make that intersection an absolute beast. Still hoping someone brings a killer sushi joint to that area as we lack one near there (no, sushi brokers doesn't count).

- J Live
azhotdish

5 years ago

Assuming you mean the SWC of 44th and Indian School where the Circle K and those questionable apartments once were?
---
Joel
@azhotdish
J Live

5 years ago

Sorry...yes, the Southwest corner. Very happy that apartment building is gone so anything is better. But it's been awhile for such a prime piece of land. Also will be interested to see how Aaron May's Arcadia Yacht Club does down the street. He seems to get more chances to open places than anyone I've ever seen. I honestly think his best place ever was Sol y Sombra up on Market Street. Hard for anything to survive on Market Street but that was a killer place about 7-8 years ago.
Skillet Doux

5 years ago

Is 32nd/Indian School where Frasher's Smokehouse is going in? I feel like I heard the location at some point, but now I don't remember.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
J Live

5 years ago

You might be right Dom and that would be in line with the BBQ comment I've heard a couple of times (including from the previous tenant). I was excited when I saw Cullen Campbell checking it out as Crudo is one of our favorite spots in town. I work south of downtown so I like to zip up 32nd St and have a place to stop for a glass of wine and takeout then east on Indian School or Campbell to the casa. Baja Loco was a good spot for that (well, not good for wine).

The SWC of 32nd and Indian School is also getting ready for a lot of work (Food City property) and I know the plan has called for a few dining spots in the strip mall as well as a restaurant pad out front (I think where JBs was). DeRito Partners put out some nice looking renderings a while back.
M_L

5 years ago

J Live wrote:The SWC of 32nd and Indian School is also getting ready for a lot of work (Food City property) and I know the plan has called for a few dining spots in the strip mall as well as a restaurant pad out front (I think where JBs was).
I have fond memories of that JB's and the Bob's Big Boy before it. While I know JB's is essentially old person catnip I still would not mind a weekend morning breakfast from there. I am kind of amazed that particular corner has been vacant for so long. It seems like it would have been a great spot for a restaurant. Plenty of parking, good location, easy access, maybe the rehab cost is just too high considering how long it has been sitting? I would think with the additional aparments/condos they are build at 28th and Indian this should push some development of that whole complex which has gotten pretty sad since Food City and the Bowling alley bailed out.
J Live

5 years ago

M_L....Food City (Basha's) actually owned the property and decided to sell it. This article talks about plans for the space but I think everything should be moving forward on it shortly. The guys at O'Reillys tell me they are staying and they are so helpful for a car idiot like me that I hope they are.

I think you'll see activity on that site pretty soon. Nice to see something happening on that 28th St. corner. that looked like an old Long John Silvers or something but that prime spot was for sale for a long time...must have been asking too much. And it looks like Angry Crab will be the one to finally stick in that space in the Sprouts center and with the Starbucks and Manuels upgrade that corner has had a pretty good year I'd say (not saying Manuel's is good as I've never eaten there but you can now see inside driving along Indian School and business seems to be brisk).

http://www.azcentral.com/story/money/re ... l/8818199/
M_L

5 years ago

Yeah the biz that Angry Crab has generated there is great. That parking lot has been busy in a way I have not seen in a long time. As for Manuels I am not objective about it. I grew up eating there so I really like it. I know it is not amazing but it is one of those places I love. The food is decent, cheap and fast. Service has always been great there.

The development in the area is promising and I hope it continues as having even more options than we do is certainly welcome.
AZScott

5 years ago

There's a lot of development going on in that area. I think something is in the works over at 40th and Indian School and also over at the old Crown Import Building on 7th St. just south of Bethany Home. I've heard of one restaurant going in the Crown Import building. It's going to make people in the area happy. I know that I'm thrilled about it.
Hililly

5 years ago

Whatever else happens at 44th & Indian School, the BF, who's in construction, says In -n- Out Burger is going there.

Also he heard rumor of In -n- Out at the Colonnade. I can't imagine how.
M_L

5 years ago

Hililly wrote:Whatever else happens at 44th & Indian School, the BF, who's in construction, says In -n- Out Burger is going there.

Also he heard rumor of In -n- Out at the Colonnade. I can't imagine how.
I do not believe it is the Colonnade but across the street at Town & Country on the SE Corner of 20th and Camelback that is the rumored destination. At least that I what I have heard.

There is a commercial development being advertised for the SW corner of 44th and Indian but who knows what will end up there.
J Live

5 years ago

It's not an in-n-out at 44th and Indian School. I have the plans at my office as we're bidding some of it and it looks very much like the place directly across the street. A strip area with shops and what looks like four independent pads. Being called Arcadia Gateway. I guess I shouldn't say 100% an in-n-out isn't going there but the plans certainly don't appear to allow for one.

I live right there at 43rd st and Devonshire so I'm rather eager to see what happens.

I still hate that we don't have any sushi in the area....although I heard a rumor yesterday that sushi is going in next to the Grind which would be pretty awesome.

As for Arcadia Fiesta, SWC 32nd St. and Indian School. The O'reillys and ACE are staying. McDonalds is moving across the street onto the corner of that property and a Ross is going in as a major tennant. :(
Rockitman

4 years ago

The 44th st and I.S property finally is showing activity. they've had the "dirt movers" there for the past week doing grading on the site. I would expect to see some further activity very quickly now.