What are you reading!?!

Food news, food media and other food-related topics
Tim H

4 years ago

+1 for Dan Barber’s The Third Plate: Field Notes on the Future of Food . If you’ve seen his two brilliant TED Talks, both stories are covered in more detail in the book. I couldn’t put the book down. It’s every bit as good as The Omnivores Dilemma, but it’s less a polemic than a hopeful vision of how agriculture and food culture can be improved.

If you haven't already, watch his TED Talks.

A foie gras parable

How I fell in love with a fish
There is nothing either good or bad but gravy makes it so. - Kevin Hearne
Mike Z

4 years ago

Thanks for the recommendations of "Yes, Chef" by Marcus Samuelsson! Wow, what a fantastic engrossing read, and I knew basically nothing about him beforehand. I can't recommend it enough. One of the best memoirs period, chef or not, that I've read
BarbaraToombs

4 years ago

Just downloaded Yes, Chef on my Kindle. Can't wait ro read it!
Mike Z

4 years ago

"The Man Who Ate the World: In Search of the Perfect Dinner" by Jay Rayner
http://www.amazon.com/Man-Who-Ate-World ... jay+rayner

I hadn’t watched any Top Chef Masters, but after reading Marcus Sammuelson’s “Yes, Chef” I ordered his season, and found Jay Rayner’s (one of the judges) character interesting, his voice and style intriguing. The book is a melding of self depreciation you can only get from somebody who’s partially full of themselves but can’t pull the trigger on being completely full of themself. If that makes any sense to you

And it’s chock full of that personality . . .

Talking finding hidden wine gems . . . “Then bang! Australia was declared the land of quality wines and it was out of my price range. New Zealand fell next, then South Africa. The way things were going, I’d soon be drinking the wines of Moldova or Tajikistan, and praising their youthful vitality”

“Food flavored with lavender makes me think only of an old lady’s underwear drawer”

“These people had come for the Gordon Ramsay experience, and if the man himself had popped out of the kitchen and told them all to f’ off, just like he does on TV, they would probably have been quite happy”

One of the few breaks into non-fine dining at Katz Deli . . . “So I stood there and ate meat while he sliced up another pound of the stuff and piled it between two slices of rye bread like he was trying to hide a rhino in a jewelry box”

It’s a somewhat obscene quest he puts himself on that leaves him with more questions than answers, and less pocketbook than sense. Dips into the sociopolitics of fine dining, morality, and taking “the greatest” food cities by chapter

Is it a must read? Not at all. But if his personality is to your taste, as it is mine, it was a very fun insightful diversion, I learned a fair bit, and it had me laughing out loud at times
Last edited by Mike Z 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Z

4 years ago

Sous Chef by Michael Gibney
http://www.amazon.com/Sous-Chef-24-Hour ... 0804177899

Truly a nose to tail account of a day in the life of a sous chef. If anything, I found it a cautionary story for anybody finding themselves seduced by the "glamour" of working in somebody else's kitchen