Amy's Baking Company - Kitchen Nightmares

Food news, food media and other food-related topics
Skillet Doux

6 years ago

It occurred to me this morning that perhaps the most amazing thing about it was that Ramsay was the least profane person in the room.

Then today happened.

And now -- particularly due to the comically amateurish and obvious Photoshop job on the Reddit screencap they posted -- I'm starting to circle back to the possibility that they're actually evil geniuses.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
ScottofStrand

6 years ago

Wow. I want to like their FB page just follow the avalanche of craziness.
PHXeater

6 years ago

I really hope they got hacked. Because I'm honestly a little scared by the comments they made on their Facebook page. I do think some of the FB comments such as "go kill yourself" are very out of line. I don't even know what to say at this point... :-?
Skillet Doux

6 years ago

Oh, most of the comments are way out of line. It's a full-blown internet mob now. I just keep thinking that they can't possibly be this oblivious to their own self-destruction, so it must be intentional, right?

Right?
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
BarbaraToombs

6 years ago

No way their Facebook was hacked. Sounds just like her Yelp rants. They seriously need help. What cracked me up most on their FB posts were the comments from the likes of Christopher Gross, Slade Grove, and Tony Morales...hilarious. Reading that stuff provides some serious entertainment! Can't bring myself to "Like" their page, though!

Hey...let's do a Foodnik Friday lunch there!!! :lol:
Independent George

6 years ago

I never thought I'd say this, but... I actually sympathize with them on the Facebook comments and Yelp reviews that have sprouted since the show aired. As awful as they may be, I actually respect them a lot more than the people who are harassing them now. She was paranoid and delusional before, but the deluge that followed really is awful and, yes, unwarranted.

Yes, they're crazy. Yes, they're awful. No, they should not own a restaurant. So why rant at them online? (Just to be clear - I'm directing this at the crazies writing their Facebook page, not anybody here on the forum). Why pick a fight? Why kick them while they're down? What does that prove except that you're every bit as bad as they are?

They might have opened the floodgates themselves, but what's happening now is so, so wrong.
sinosoul

6 years ago

I have nothing to add except it's even on 4chan.
sundevilpeg

6 years ago

I don't think these two are basically good people who just happen to be going through a stressful time in their lives
. . .though not as stressful as the time that Amy spent in the slammer for felony identity theft. (courtesy of the "Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares" page of TelevisionWithoutPity.com)
FoodnWineEnthusiast

6 years ago

I myself and BiPolar-II and am going through a manic phase. I am doing it the right way, time off work, therapy, no alcohol / drugs, attempting to get enough sleep and eat the correct foods as well as taking herbal supplements to quell the anxiety. I can not tell you how terrified I am for the workers that went through that restaurant as well as the owner and his wife. This is the kind of trigger that will blow the top off of any person with a mental illness. I am not sympathizing with their actions as I am able to control my anxiety / rage / reactions this time around and be calm / attentive / share ideas and listen. Which is the opposite for them. The thing I am scared of is that they are totally and completely capable of going on a murdering rampage a la natural born killers style and think they are completely and totally justified by doing this, or they are going to pull a Romeo & Juliette. This is not even me being an alarmist because I am far far far to familiar with how these emotions feel on the inside - what you saw on the outside is the teeny tiny tip of how it's feels in your mind. They need to be committed, they need psycho-therapy and they need pharmaceutics and they need us to leave them alone - they need a quiet place with absolutely no access to technology of any kind. Nature, therapy, exercise, sleep, clean diet (maybe even a raw diet) and most of all time and patients. It is the only way they will be able to heal themselves and those that were affected by their mental illnesses. I get it, I watched the whole thing, but honestly - shame on us as a society to feed on the negativity that is mental illness by throwing that negative energy right directly back in their face. How else do you think they are going to react. They are certifiably insane and their going to blow their F()%&# minds at us in ways people who don't deal with these things will never understand. They need compassion from afar and a lot of help. We should be grateful for the people who will assist with their recovery and help them rebuild positive, production and most of all stable healthy lives. This article on an ABC website had a lot of good points that I was much more aligned with. Thank you for listening. This was my two cents.
FoodnWineEnthusiast

6 years ago

* My friend adds: "It's like we're all gawking at a wreck and nobody is calling an ambulance." ~ So sad, so true. We are all here to raise each other up - not bring the world crashing to the ground. :oops:
transparent

6 years ago

Problem is, there's no ambulance for this. Any intervention would be seen as part of the conspiracy.

Watching the shitshow doesn't help, but at least it doesn't make things worse like getting involved would.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
sinosoul

6 years ago

and their twitter is active again: https://twitter.com/AmysBakingCompa , and I quote:
Amy's Baking Co. & Bistro. Try our Pizzas, if you don't like it, then FUCK you!
(edit) wait, n'mind. that's the fake. but still hella funny.
Independent George

6 years ago

I remember my conflicted emotions after word got out of Terrell Owens' alleged suicide attempt. I'd long despised the man, but then realized that all the crazy things he'd done were because he was likely actually crazy, and not just because he was a douchebag. Then I felt sad and guilty. It doesn't justify the behavior, but it explains it, and there is no such thing as accountability when you're talking about actual mental illness (which I'm now convinced he had). Ditto for Cincinnati Bengals receiver Chris Henry - I made more than my share of jokes about his legal troubles and the Bengals reputation as being more of a halfway house than a pro football team. Then he died in a car accident, and the autopsy revealed he'd had a severe case of CTE likely due to repeated head trauma from two decades of football. He was behaving erratically because he'd long ago destroyed his brain for my entertainment.

I've had to deal with various mental illnesses in my family over the years, and it's especially hard to deal with because even if you are consciously aware that the people involved are sick and not in control of their actions, you still have to bear the full brunt of the emotional assault. You can't help but be hurt and angry, but you also feel guilt about that anger, which, in fact only makes you more hurt and angry. It sucks all around.

Based on percentages, I'm willing to wager that more than one person here has an alcoholic in the family. Someone who has systematically abused and lied to and manipulated and taken advantage of the people around him or her. Someone who is loved and hated all the same. At some point, it becomes too much. You have to cut yourself off, because you can neither force nor reason them into recovery, and every attempt to help just enables them even further.

If you're lucky enough to have seen them through to a sustained recovery, then you know that you've effectively been dealing with two completely different people the entire time. All those terrible things they've done to you are real, and they still hurt years later, and can't ever be undone, but... they're over. If you can't put it behind you, then that person won't, either, and the continued recrimination will just push them into another relapse. Letting go is important the both of you.

Which brings us back to Amy's Baking Co. Does anyone here really doubt that Amy and Samy are actually crazy? Not just arrogant or rude or what have you - but truly and certifiably crazy. The equivalent of a high-functioning alcoholic - able to survive on a day-to-day basis, but ultimately living on borrowed time while inevitably being consumed by the disease. I understand the feeling of vindication given their past actions - understandable, and justifiable. They've been pretty awful have treated people terribly. But the piling-on that's occurring now is the equivalent of pointing and laughing at the handicapped kid in school.

Did they bring this on themselves? Sure. Should the long list of people they've wronged be angry at them? Absolutely. That still doesn't make it right for people who watched the show, and have never once set foot in ABC, to start piling on the way they have. As awful as they are, I'm even angrier at the people who've decided it's their job to step in and start poking at these complete strangers because of something they saw on TV.
transparent

6 years ago

Well, they've hired the PR firm responsible for those horrible stingray sushi political ads. At least there's a filter for what they're putting on the internet now.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
anonman

6 years ago

Not being a regular on the Phoenix side of this board, I'm late to this party and saw it when a friend posted a link to their fake Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Amys-Bak ... ion=stream

Motto: "Perfect food all day every day. Pizza is perfect, burgers never soggy, salmon wet AND dry! No complaints ever because our food is perfections. Haters can check your comments at the door and stop your online bullying and lies!"

I've never eaten here and don't have a dog in the fight but I must say it is a fascinating study in how not to handle customers and criticism.
PHXeater

6 years ago

The press release and the fact that "Baptist minister and political and civil rights activist" Jarrett Maupin will be there disgusts me to no end. I honestly felt really uncomfortable/astonished as I rewatched the show compared to the first time I watched when i was amazed/astonished. But by hiring the PR firm, bringing in Jarrett Maupin (whose back story I don't even want to get started on because that guy deserves NO attention as much as Samy and Amy don't deserve attention), I'm just back to disliking them.

Maybe one day they'll get the help they need and be nice, contributing members of society. But just because someone is mentally ill doesn't mean they're nice people underneath it all, they could just be bad people at the core. The server who got fired also did an AMA on Reddit. It wasn't anything earth shattering but confirmed she got paid $8/hour without tips.

I just really don't know what to say anymore except I hope nobody goes there to eat to give them attention. Sadly, I have many acquaintances who keep putting on Facebook that they are going to eat there. IMO, that's the worst thing that could happen. I plan to stay far away from that entire strip mall until the place closes, I really do worry they are unstable to the point that something worse than yelling at customers could happen.
sinosoul

6 years ago

who's going to the grand "re-opening" comped event? I demand live tweets from Scottsdale.
M_L

6 years ago

PHXeater wrote:But by hiring the PR firm, bringing in Jarrett Maupin...
My assumption is that Rose also does the PR for him so they are just using this as an opportunity to cross promote people the represent thus pushing their own product given the particularly unique situation.
sinosoul wrote:who's going to the grand "re-opening" comped event? I demand live tweets from Scottsdale.
I was talking with Bruce St. James from KTAR last night and he was saying they were going to "tailgate" the event, he would likely be tweeting from it but I could not say for certain.
BarbaraToombs

6 years ago

Ah...so they've hired Rose? That is entirely appropriate. I'll shut up now.
Taylor

6 years ago

I watched this on Hulu tonight, and a search on Google brought me here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nexQhKIx39Q.

Is that azhotdish?? Did you start all of this unwarranted cyber-bullying?! :mrgreen: