Pork belly sources?

Cooking at home and sourcing ingredients
Mike Todd

6 years ago

I guess I kind of knew this day would come, but I hadn't really prepared for it. Today when I called The Meat Shop today I found out that the wait for their pork belly is now 3-4 weeks, and here I am down to my last 6 ounces of bacon.

I'm wondering if anyone here has any leads on local sources of pork belly. The stuff I've seen at Asian supermarkets isn't really what I'm looking for, but if you have any other ideas, please pass them along.

*shines Lunchbox signal at the sky*
Lunchbox

6 years ago

What have I done?!?!?!?!?!? :mrgreen:

It's funny because The Meat Shop just posted this on their Facebook feed:

FRESH PORK JOWL at The MEAT SHOP only $ 2.75/lb
Limited amount each week. Use instead of Pork Belly

How to Use Pig Jowl
By Fred Decker, eHow Contributor

Although pork is eaten widely across America, hog jowls are associated primarily with Southern cooking. Pig Jowls (the fatty part of the cheek) have layers of strong muscles alternating with bands of fat. This gives the jowls a resemblance to pork belly, which is similarly constructed, and the two are often prepared in similar ways. Jowls are more compact than pork belly, and can be a better choice for small meals. They are generally cured or slow-cooked.

Read more: How to Use Pig Jowl | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_8516243_use-pig ... z2M34QRoNF

I do have a guy... I'll send you a PM.
-- LBX

Instagram: @zachary.garcia

Twitter: @zach_garcia
Skillet Doux

6 years ago

Lunchbox wrote:It's funny because The Meat Shop just posted this on their Facebook feed:

FRESH PORK JOWL at The MEAT SHOP only $ 2.75/lb
Limited amount each week. Use instead of Pork Belly

If this means we can look forward to Lunchbox Guanciale, I'm in.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
Lunchbox

6 years ago

Skillet Doux wrote: If this means we can look forward to Lunchbox Guanciale, I'm in.
I have plans Dom, just not enough hours in the day right now. So many visitors right now and also super crazy at work = projects put on the back burner. :)
-- LBX

Instagram: @zachary.garcia

Twitter: @zach_garcia
Mike Todd

6 years ago

Thanks!. PM received and replied to. :)

I didn't catch their jowl post until just past 5:00. I'm going to set a reminder to call them first thing tomorrow. [fingers crossed]
BarbaraToombs

6 years ago

I got mine at Lee Lee's and it really turned out great (for bacon anyway).
M_L

6 years ago

Jowls are delicious.
Mike Todd

6 years ago

I'm never especially close to either Lee Lee, so I haven't done any looking there. When I've had meat counter staff at Super L and Tan Phat show me their pork belly, it has been kind of thin and limp compared to what I've been getting from The Meat Shop over the years. One thing I do like about the belly sold the Asian grocers is that it is skin-on, which until recently hasn't been an option at The Meat Shop.
BarbaraToombs

6 years ago

Mike Todd wrote:When I've had meat counter staff at Super L and Tan Phat show me their pork belly, it has been kind of thin and limp...
Limp is never good. ;)

Plan a trip to Lee Lee's at Warner & Dobson (which is highly entertaining all on its own!), and then partake of any of the great restaurants around there: China Magic Noodle House, Shimogamo, Chou's Kitchen....just a thought! :)
AZScott

6 years ago

The times I've purchased pork belly I have been happiest with what I bought at Midwestern Meats in Mesa. If you want to spend a bit more money try calling Tender Belly.
Dapuma

6 years ago

I would try Von Hansen's

Their turkey's are fantastic
LaPan

3 years ago

Anybody try the Pork Shop in Queen Creek

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk