Knife Sharpening [Phoenix Knife House]

Cooking at home and sourcing ingredients
Dapuma

7 years ago

We have classic ikon wustof knives and need them sharpened, Sur La Table said they can sharpen them in the store, does anyone know if they do a pretty good job or is there someone else i should take them to?
Skillet Doux

7 years ago

Go directly to Phoenix Knife House.

We talked a bit about them here, but they really deserve their own thread at some point.

Sur la Table will, unless they've changed SOP sometime recently, run your knives through a machine grinder.

The guys at PKH -- generally speaking -- will start it on belt, switch to a series of whetstones, finish it on a leather strop, and charge you just a few bucks. Plus, Eytan and Cory are awesome guys, it's a local store, and they have a freaking cool selection of knives to look through.

They specialize in Japanese, but they'll handle anything, naturally including German.

The only danger is that you get sucked into the Japanese knife obsession and end up buying a whole new set of knives :-)

Note: recent location change... the old address may still be floating around if you look it up elsewhere, but this is the current one.

Phoenix Knife House
www.phoenixknifehouse.com
4837 E. Indian School Road
Phoenix, AZ 85018
480-946-2758
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
PHXeater

7 years ago

Yup, I second Dom. Just got my Japanese knife sharpened at Phoenix Knife House this week for $8 using the Japanese method of sharpening - not sure exactly what that entails but they recommended it and they're the experts.

I also bought my main chef's knife there a couple years ago and love it. They are definitely good guys, Eytan actually talked me out of buying a whole, expensive, set based on how much I cooked at the time, what I cooked, etc. It was very informative, he really took his time walking me through why he was recommending certain types of knives to me and explaining the differences. At this point I'm cooking A LOT more so I should do some shopping there but I didn't have time when I stopped in the this week.

He also was very nice about the sad state of my knife - I had a former roommate who used to always wash it in the dishwasher (drove me crazy!) and I caught once trying to open a can with it. we're not roommates anymore luckily....
CelticBellaAZ

6 years ago

I'll mirror that! I took my favorite knife there for the first time, and I think it came back sharper then when I first got it. The owner is a very nicer person too.
Good food does not have to be difficult or expensive! Sláinte!
M_L

6 years ago

You may want to check out the event I just posted:

http://www.phxfoodnerds.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=681

If you are too lazy to click Phoenix Knife House is doing some sharpening classes in early Jan. while their services are very reasonable it is a good skill to have in case the next apocalyptic prediction is more accurate.
wee_eats

6 years ago

Don't go to SLT. They will have anyone sharpen them, and they just use the motor sharpeners sold at the store. I'm not saying it's **BAD** but I have sharpened them when I worked there and had NO CLUE what I was doing... the machine makes it pretty hard to mess up (impossible) but Phx Knife House at least has professionals doing it, and they're reasonably-priced. Only thing is it's a pain to drive all the way out there (if you don't live near Arcadia)
golbsalt

6 years ago

just picked up my first piece of steel from PKH this week. been trying to stay away, but man was I an IDIOT for not getting here sooner. i took home a knife and a really nice 1/6 stone (just keep it on the counter says Etyan). i shoulda made this trip months ago!

point is, they have a really nice selection of stones too. put a few bucks into a nice stone, you won't regret it!
blog.golbsalt.com - "happiness IS just a lick away!"
@_go_lb_salt_ or @fhmarket
tracik

6 years ago

My husband is really in to knives (not just kitchen ones), and he has a Lansky system that he uses to sharpen our knives at home. It's a series of whetstones, with a guide to help you with the correct angle for each of your knives. I must say I always have incredibly sharp knives, which makes the things I do in the kitchen so much easier.

I'm interested in thoughts on these systems from the people on this board. Y'all seem like you definitely know what you're doing.
"I cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food." WC Fields
M_L

6 years ago

I have used those in the past and I know people who still use them and swear by them.

They are perfectly effective imo and if that is what you have and you know how to use it I do not see the reason to invest in something else. If you were using one of those chef choice grinding monsters then I may have a different opinon.
tracik

6 years ago

NEVER! Those things are horrible. We've turned several friends away from the dark side. ;)
"I cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food." WC Fields
PHXeater

3 years ago

I love Phoenix Knife House, I really do. But their business hours drive me batty - 10am-6pm Monday-Friday. I've had a knife there for about 6 weeks because I can only pick it up after work but it's not anywhere near my way home. Consider this my official plea to open for at least a few hours on a Saturday!
M_L

3 years ago

I swear they used to be open on Sat. I agree their during the week hours are pretty difficult. Wish they would adjust them back an hour.