What's For Dinner?

Cooking at home and sourcing ingredients
grrlscout

7 years ago

phxmacbear wrote:When I find myself at a Carrabba's (gasp! - a chain!), I can hardly bring myself to get anything but the Chicken Bryan
That really is the best item on the menu there, and your version looks scrumptious!
~ Korina
gardener | forager | permie | maker of things
Skillet Doux

7 years ago

Where do you get beef hearts, grrlscout? I've been wanting to play with those.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
phxmacbear

7 years ago

Thanks grrlscout! It's simple and mighty tasty!

As a matter of fact, I was at Carrabba's with my parents last night and they now have a "special" item: Chicken Bryan Ravioli! It was ok...it didn't have that punch that the regular dish has. I think it was missing the lemon-butter zing.
But it wasn't bad.
grrlscout

7 years ago

Skillet Doux wrote:Where do you get beef hearts, grrlscout? I've been wanting to play with those.
Believe it or not... Fry's. They were that Rumba brand. I bought them when they were on sale, with the intent of making tacos.

http://www.rumbameats.com/product/beef/beef-8505

I was fully prepared to separate the chambers and start removing blood vessels -- as I read one is supposed to do -- only to find that they were already prepped *pieces* of hearts! I sharpened my knives for nought.

Actually, they really, really needed to be sharpened anyway.
~ Korina
The Cosmic Jester

7 years ago

Tonight for dinner: Dry run of this year's Thanksgiving stuffing. Combining two recipes (J. Kenji López-Alt's from his The Food Lab column on Serious Eats, and Sarah Leah Chase's from The Nantucket Open House Cookbook), and giving it my own touches. This one is a chorizo stuffing with pecans, apples, and drunken apricots. It's still in the oven. Will let you know how it goes.
Tim H

7 years ago

Bolognese from the Mozza cookbook. It's different from the bolognese recipe I've been using for years, with the standard milk and wine reductions, then slow braised with lots of tomatoes. The Mozza recipe uses milk and wine, but just a little tomato paste and three cups of chicken stock as the braising liquid. The end result is all about the meat rather than the tomatoes. The milk is added toward the end, and it's finished in the pan with more chicken stock rather than pasta water. Delicious, but so rich I couldn't finish this portion.
Attachments
bolognese.JPG
Bolognese
bolognese.JPG (44.45 KiB) Viewed 4882 times
Last edited by Tim H 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
There is nothing either good or bad but gravy makes it so. - Kevin Hearne
Skillet Doux

7 years ago

The way you describe it, Tim, that sounds like a version that would be really interesting with just a little bit of chicken liver.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Lunchbox

7 years ago

Is it this recipe? I don't have that cookbook but it's on my xmas list. (Big fan of Silverton.) This looks pretty tasty.

Ragu Bolognese

I'm going to have to try this one on Sunday night...
-- LBX

Instagram: @zachary.garcia

Twitter: @zach_garcia
Tim H

7 years ago

Skillet, adding chicken livers would certainly up the ante. I really like that this recipe is about everything but the tomatoes.

Lunchbox, that's the recipe, though I just grabbed the nearest open box of pasta rather than making my own. I've only cooked a few things out of Mozza but they've all been winners. Making the meatballs on Sunday.
Lunchbox

7 years ago

Tim H wrote:Skillet, adding chicken livers would certainly up the ante. I really like that this recipe is about everything but the tomatoes.

Lunchbox, that's the recipe, though I just grabbed the nearest open box of pasta rather than making my own. I've only cooked a few things out of Mozza but they've all been winners. Making the meatballs on Sunday.
Cool... Does the Mozza soffritto call for tomatoes or is it just the tomato paste in the recipe? I always thought soffritto was just a basic mirepoix but uses olive oil instead of butter...? But apparently some of them use tomatoes. Looks like I might have to hit up Barnes and Noble for the cookbook tomorrow... :D
-- LBX

Instagram: @zachary.garcia

Twitter: @zach_garcia
Tim H

7 years ago

The Mozza soffritto is two cups Spanish onion, one cup carrots, one cup celery, two cups olive oil (makes three cups). No tomatoes in the soffritto, just the tomato paste in the Bolognese recipe. The onion is sauted for 20 minutes, then the other veg added and cooked for three hours until "a deep brown caramel color and the vegetables are almost melted." I just went with a quick saute on the soffritto.
grrlscout

7 years ago

We got a bunch of jerk seasoning from St Maarten, so I grilled a big batch of jerk chicken on Tuesday.

Friday, I made up a batch of brussels sprouts with shallots and bacon, to go with steaks.

Saturday, I was on my own for lunch. So I raided the fridge for leftovers, and ended up making a jerk chicken, goat cheese, pickled melon, and blackberry panini, with brussels sprouts on the side.

I wasn't sure how the sandwich ingredients would work out together, but it actually turned out rather nice.
~ Korina
CelticBellaAZ

7 years ago

Skillet Doux wrote:Where do you get beef hearts, grrlscout? I've been wanting to play with those.
Dom you can get them at the Maricopa Skills Center. It has reopened. Give them a call.
Good food does not have to be difficult or expensive! Sláinte!
phxmacbear

7 years ago

Stumbled across a recipe for Moroccan chicken with olives and preserved lemons the other day and decided I had to make it. Of course, that first required finding "preserved lemons", which are more difficult to track down than one would expect. Of course my neighborhood grocery stores (Fry's, Walmart and Safeway) did not have them. I thought surely Baiz Market would have them, but they did not. As luck would have it, there was a line to check out after lunch at Haji Baba this week, so I decided to browse the market aisles until it subsided. Just as I was about to get back in line, my eye caught a jar of lemons...yup, there they were! Preserved lemons! Thanks Haji Baba!

Anyway, I made this recipe: http://www.food52.com/recipes/1017_brai ... and_olives
And served it with some Israeli couscous to which I added some pine nuts and almonds browned in ghee and a handful of raisins.
And also a shirazi salad, which I just had for the first time the other night, and will probably now make every time I make couscous - they go perfectly together!
IMG_0012.jpg
IMG_0012.jpg (71.9 KiB) Viewed 4589 times
Skillet Doux

7 years ago

phxmacbear wrote:I thought surely Baiz Market would have them, but they did not.
Perhaps they were out, but FYI, they generally have them. That's where I get mine.

Looks awesome!
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Tim H

6 years ago

Two very satisfying recent recipes from the NY Times Dining section: Smothered Pork Chops and Pork and Beans. For the pork chops, I'll get a good thick chop next time, but even with a thin, cheap cut, it was delicious. I'm not usually a fan of brining (brined poultry seems like deli meat to me), but the star anise in the brine came through and complemented the pork chops without taking over the sauce.

The beans were some of the best I've had, partly because they were good beans, but I think mainly because they were cooked in homemade chicken stock. With garlic, greens, mustard, and tomatoes. I'll eat beans without complaint, but these beans were maybe the best thing I've cooked all year.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/09/magaz ... ref=dining
http://www.nytimes.com/recipes/1014362/ ... reens.html

IMG_6954.JPG
Smothered Pork Chops
IMG_6954.JPG (37.09 KiB) Viewed 4470 times
Attachments
IMG_6537.JPG
Pork and Beans with Garlic and Greens
IMG_6537.JPG (35.36 KiB) Viewed 4470 times
Skillet Doux

6 years ago

Those beans look fabulous, Tim.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Tim H

6 years ago

Pho and ramen seem to get all the love these days, but chicken noodle soup is still first in my heart. Why do we not have chicken noodle soup joints worthy of a pilgrimage?

Sometimes I add parsely and sometimes mashed potatoes (a midwestern thing my dad does), but usually I like it plain. The stock was made from a Costco roast chicken with the breast meat removed and saved for the soup.
IMG_7768.JPG
Milk noodles
IMG_7768.JPG (49.8 KiB) Viewed 4389 times
IMG_7784.JPG
Chicken noodle soup
IMG_7784.JPG (37.46 KiB) Viewed 4389 times
CelticBellaAZ

6 years ago

Tim H wrote:Pho and ramen seem to get all the love these days, but chicken noodle soup is still first in my heart. Why do we not have chicken noodle soup joints worthy of a pilgrimage?

Sometimes I add parsely and sometimes mashed potatoes (a midwestern thing my dad does), but usually I like it plain. The stock was made from a Costco roast chicken with the breast meat removed and saved for the soup.
That looks really good. I am with you on chicken soup. I love the stuff. I would love to have your recipe.
Good food does not have to be difficult or expensive! Sláinte!
grrlscout

6 years ago

Some stuff I've made lately:

Chicken quesadilla, with pears and pepperjack. Zucchini on the side:

Beef pot pies:

Buffalo chicken casserole:

Chicken and dumplings:

Smoked pork shoulder tamales, it being Christmastime and all.

Greens and lemon chess pie.

FnB's braised leeks (sans egg, at MIL's request), sunchoke & roasted cauli puree, and jerk chicken.

~ Korina