Mandoline recommendation???

Cooking at home and sourcing ingredients
NightBloom

3 years ago

Anyone have a mandoline that they love?
Mine is old and tired and I'd like to replace it with one that can handle root veggies and paper thin slices.
Any recommendations?
Thanks!
CRISTEN :)
IG: oldtownfoodfanatic
LaPan

3 years ago

I'm looking, too
3leches

3 years ago

I have a Benriner based on a recommendation from Serious Eats. There are extra wide and narrower versions w/ and without the box underneath depending on your needs.

See number 10 on the list.
http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/03/the- ... -gear.html

I also have an OXO v-shaped one too but find it more difficult to use for root vegetables.
azhotdish

3 years ago

---
Joel
@azhotdish
NightBloom

3 years ago

3leches wrote:I have a Benriner based on a recommendation from Serious Eats. There are extra wide and narrower versions w/ and without the box underneath depending on your needs.

See number 10 on the list.
http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/03/the- ... -gear.html

I also have an OXO v-shaped one too but find it more difficult to use for root vegetables.
Thanks! I was looking at that one.
NightBloom

3 years ago

azhotdish wrote:This one.
Thanks!
HrHamada

3 years ago

I would recommend the slant angle version or the flat angle version over the v shaped. Takes less force.

I would get a "good" one, but wouldn't break the bank because the blades eventually do lose sharpness just like any other blade. If you just need to borrow one, or want to try one brand. You can borrow mine. I don't even remember the one I'm currently using.

If you just need one for a short time, I might go to the Chinese restaurant for lunch on May 3rd, I'll try to remember to put it in the car and you can return it next time. If you want to buy a new one, I remember I was pretty impressed by the OXO steel one and probably would buy it again. If you're just talking those little hand held ones, I was pleasantly impressed by the Kyocera.

I know you've had one for a long time, but I always warn people, Mandolines are crazy dangerous. Not just using it, but also even cleaning up afterwards. Be careful, no matter which one you decide on.