Home Alone

Cooking at home and sourcing ingredients
Tim H

3 years ago

My wife is visiting family in Thailand, so I need to shift for myself for the next several weeks. Any suggestions for cooking for one? (My microwave is dead.)

The first thing I always do when my wife is away is to extract my Georgio Foremoni panini press from its secret undisclosed location (I hid it from my wife during the Great Kitchen Purge of 2015). I've been making grilled cheese sandwiches with 17-month old Great Value pepper jack slices (still fresh as a daisy), Oscar Mayer meat product, and a schmear of mustard. They keep me alive, more or less.
20160322_131824.jpg
20160322_131824.jpg (72.72 KiB) Viewed 1785 times
20160322_132518.jpg
20160322_132518.jpg (63.21 KiB) Viewed 1785 times
There is nothing either good or bad but gravy makes it so. - Kevin Hearne
davej

3 years ago

Cooking for one sucks. It really depends on how much effort and motivation you want to put into it. There's always bacon and egg sandwich. Reduce some balsamic vinegar and throw on some arugula. Tomatoes if you are into that. The salty and sweet comes out pretty well.
Tim H

3 years ago

davej wrote:There's always bacon and egg sandwich.
Thanks for the suggestion, Dave. That's exactly my kind of food, so I'll definitely give it a try.

Pan fried a ribeye last night. My wife won't eat beef, so we rarely cook it at home, and it's usually a cheap cut when we do. Walmart had a deal on a couple of ribeyes, so I decided to make steak and eggs with some skillet potatoes. It’s been a year or more since I had a ribeye, and I have to say I ended up chewing on the fat to get every ounce of deliciousness out of that steak. So happy.

I seared it in a GreenPan, which I like a lot more than regular nonstick. It browns things at a much lower temperature than a regular pan, and it's easier to clean than cast iron. Did a great job on the potatoes as well.
ribeye_taters.jpg
Ribeye with fried egg and skillet potatoes
ribeye_taters.jpg (102.81 KiB) Viewed 1658 times
Tim H

3 years ago

Braunschweiger on Saltines. Another thing I love but that my wife doesn't, so I'm going to indulge while she's gone.

I once ordered foie gras in one of my very few forays into a fine dining restaurant. I didn't know what it was, I just wanted to impress the girl I was with. I was still a very picky eater, and it took some courage to put the thing in my mouth. What a relief: it tasted just like braunschweiger to me! (My date saw right through me. She still does.)
braunschweiger.jpg
Braunschweiger on Saltines
braunschweiger.jpg (52.7 KiB) Viewed 1599 times
DMancini

3 years ago

Braunschweiger on white bread is definitely a guilty pleasure of mine.
Tim H

3 years ago

DMancini wrote:Braunschweiger on white bread is definitely a guilty pleasure of mine.
DMancini, I Googled that and apparently it's a thing. I might try a recipe I found for a braunschweiger club sandwich: Rye bread, mayo on both slices, braunschweiger, bacon, tomato slice. Thanks for the inspiration!

In the meantime, I got a big piece of beef at Costco. Cooking it sous vide now at 131°F.

Go on, my son!
20160331_140054.jpg
Round tip roast, cooking sous vide at 131 F
20160331_140054.jpg (83.51 KiB) Viewed 1497 times
DMancini

3 years ago

I cook a lot of Tritip. Do a short cook and finish over mesquite.
Tim H

3 years ago

Dude, all I've got is a bucket full of hot water. I don't even plan to sear it, just chill it and cut it thin for sandwiches. And this is a round tip, not a tri tip. El cheapo cut o' meato.
Desert Gal

3 years ago

DMancini wrote:Braunschweiger on white bread is definitely a guilty pleasure of mine.
My Mom was first gen from German and Norwegian folks, and we only had it when my Dad wasn't around. Loves me that stuff.