Sous Vide Cookery at Home

Cooking at home and sourcing ingredients
PHXeater

4 years ago

M_L wrote:
FYI Searzall will make your life better.
I'd like the searzall but will stick with a cast iron pan for now (after the grill was a failure). I already strategically didn't mention the cost of the Anova since I knew it'd get me a serious side eye. I'm thinking I'll tell after that first 100% perfect filet then maybe spring for the searzall.
M_L wrote:From what I have read and at least in my experience resting is not really needed when cooking sous vide. I am probably wrong but I have not noticed a difference other than it has started to get cold. But feel free to not take my word, here is what Kenji says:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/food ... html#rest?
I had read that about resting but was just too paranoid to not do it for a few minutes, really need to just not worry though, this method of cooking is so foolproof!
M_L wrote: Also nice work. I have not tried much other than steak, pork chops, salmon, chicken, and veggie sides. Perhaps I will need to stretch out a bit and try something more drastic.

I'm excited to try pork chops too. They're the one item that I always seem to dry out and cook poorly. Do you like the chicken sous vide? If so, what temp do you do? Some people seem mixed on the texture but I guess it depends whether you cook it to 140, 150, 165 (blech), etc.
M_L

4 years ago

I will have to go back and look but for chicken the temp is much higher than other items. I used this chart in the past http://www.edinformatics.com/math_scien ... s_vide.htm I think I was around 145ish because EH (wife) has issues with potential undercooked chicken so to reassure her I cook things to warmer temperatures than I prefer. I usually SV chicken when I make the Halal Cart Chicken and Rice and IMO it works great. You do have to spend some time browning the chicken to give it a palatable texture and some color but I think it provides a much better end result.

The pork chops I did ages ago and I do not remember the result but I think I breaded and fried them after so really not a legit representation.

Chef Steps has tons of great stuff particularly this chart which is pretty clutch:

http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/sou ... ture-guide

The only thing I have not had great success with is making mashed potatoes. I have no idea what I am doing right but the times they indicate always result in me having potatoes that are impossible to mash because they are not cooked through enough. Maybe its because I don't have the sieves to pass them through but my potato ricer does not seem to cut it.

Asparagus however only takes like 10 minutes and turns out awesome.
M_L

4 years ago

For about another 3 hours unless it sells out like the Modernist at home book did. Anova is 140 at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UKP ... PDKIKX0DER
PHXeater

4 years ago

I 100% blame PFN for the rapid upswing in kitchen appliances I have. FoodSaver was purchased this weekend on impulse at Target to use with sous vide, although I have to say it is so easy to use I'm oddly excited to buy meat in bulk to freeze now. Flat iron steak tonight and chicken breasts tomorrow, will report back!
M_L

4 years ago

Food Savers are necessary for life.
M_L

4 years ago

So the newest version of the Anova which is the Wi-Fi version is up for pre-order now. You can get it for 150 if you use the code on the website. You will probably still get it before the new Nomiku comes out. (too soon?)

http://store.anovaculinary.com/products ... ooker-wifi

Enjoy!
artvandelay

4 years ago

That's a little frustrating. I backed the new Nomiku over a year ago on Kickstarter and I think they are still several months away from shipping.
ScottofStrand

4 years ago

I'm right there with you about the Nomiku. I think their original ship date was Sept. of 2014. Their current mass production date is October 26, 2015 and I'm not sure what that means as far as shipment date. Very disappointing.
LaPan

4 years ago

Complaining about Kickstarter delivery dates is sooooo 2013!

Practically nobody delivers on time. Some never deliver. It's always a gamble like most investments.
Lunchbox

4 years ago

FYI - They're getting close!!! I'm friends with the CEO of Nomiku on FB... They've had some setbacks but they're getting super close to shipping... The prototype units look sick!
-- LBX

Instagram: @zachary.garcia

Twitter: @zach_garcia
M_L

4 years ago

Lunchbox wrote:FYI - They're getting close!!! I'm friends with the CEO of Nomiku on FB... They've had some setbacks but they're getting super close to shipping... The prototype units look sick!
Yeah I check the KS updates every so often. Manufacturing things on this scale is not a simple process. Stuff happens. Their product while similar to the Anova has a slightly different target audience. Plus they go through additional device certifications that the Anova does not.
Rockitman

4 years ago

I have an Anova SV and I've been loving the results (and the experiments). The first few times I used it, I just connected to a stock pot and started cooking. But I didn't like the heat it generated on the countertop, nor the wasted energy so I looked for a small cooler with a flat side that I could modify to accept the heating unit. (Coleman model 5877 from Sports authority).
I cut a hole in the top with my jigsaw and immediately noticed the lid had zero insulation in it!!?? I guess they're banking on the whole "cold air falling" principal but with no insulation in the lid, the lid absorbed all the heat and defeated the purpose. So I bought a can of that spray insulation in a can from Home Depot and insulated the lid. You can see the yellow color insulation in the photos. Note that if you use this insulation, you have to let it sit/cure for probably a day as it continues to expand as it cools. once complete, you can take a fine blade hacksaw and shave off the insulation that "oozed" out.
That completed the mission. When cooking now, I simply wrap a towel around the SV unit and the opening and the entire cooler stays just slightly warm to the touch and doesn't heat up my kitchen or countertop.
Attachments
IMG_3776.JPG
IMG_3776.JPG (120.59 KiB) Viewed 4500 times
IMG_3778.JPG
IMG_3778.JPG (141.6 KiB) Viewed 4500 times
ScottofStrand

4 years ago

Nice job with the DIY Rockitman! I'm looking forward to making something similar to this.
Tim H

4 years ago

I tried Kenji's sous vide burgers from The Food Lab, first with 92/8 ground beef that turned really well despite being so lean. So I tried 80/20 at 133°F for 1 hour and seared it off for about a minute per side in a cast iron pan. Even with cheap Walmart beef and cheap Walmart buns, this was a really good burger. I will try to grind my own meat at some point as Kenji recommends.

I'll probably do burgers this way from now on because 1) it's so easy to sous vide the patties in sandwich-sized ziplock bags, and 2) you can leave them in the bath for up to four hours. I let one go for two hours, and it was just as good as the first. And 3) the burgers keep their shape while cooking -- no bulge in the middle. Perfect patties, perfect cook every time. Oh, and 4) all the dripping gets done in the bag. Very little juices get released after the sear, so you can put the patty right on the bun.
sv_burger.jpg
Sous vide burger - 1 hour at 133°F
sv_burger.jpg (116.63 KiB) Viewed 4268 times
There is nothing either good or bad but gravy makes it so. - Kevin Hearne
M_L

4 years ago

It really is that easy. I like to buy the preformed patties from safeway that have bacon and cheese inside them. Then buy the pretzel rolls and boom you have something that would cost 15-20 per if you were going out to less than 10 for two. Then you give the buns a bit of a char and it is pretty much perfect.
LaPan

4 years ago

Late to the game but happy to be playing!

A few questions and notes:

1. Chicken breasts/thighs, etc. Are we still brining? Or is it unnecessary now?
2. Love the pre sear and post sear method combined. Easier not to overdo the sear. Haven't tried it with adding herbs to the pre-sear yet. Anybody?
3. Foodsaver. What size should I spring for? Rolls or bags?
4. Damn you all, I love tools. Especially kitchen tools.
5. Anybody tried pulled pork, green chili pork, or the like?
6. Has anybody tried to cook veggies, dump in ice bath and refrigerate to just freshen in a sauté later (or even the next day? Thinking of this for Thanksgiving.
7. (this hurts even to type but here goes) My father is the only one in the family that loves his steak well done. Can I sous vide it first, then put in the fridge while doing the rest and maybe just drop it back in for the last 30 mins of our medium rare steaks? Whattaya think?
8. I love you all, for sharing this new (to me) technique and all your experiences with me.

Cheers
B
Last edited by LaPan 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
M_L

4 years ago

1. Chicken breasts/thighs, etc. Are we still brining? Or is it unnecessary now?
Kenji sez: "Q: What about brining? Brining—the process of soaking meat in a salt water solution in order to help it retain moisture better in the future—is entirely unnecessary for sous-vide cooking. Your chicken will come out plenty moist and juicy, while also having a more concentrated chicken flavor, as using a brine dilutes the flavor of the chicken with water."

2. Love the pre sear and post sear method combined. Easier not to overdo the sear. Haven't tried it with adding herbs to the pre-sear yet. Anybody?
- I am lazy and I never pre-sear as I usually season items, vac-seal them and freeze them for when I am ready to cook them.

3. Foodsaver. What size should I spring for? Rolls or bags?
The one at Coscto is usually a good choice, but honestly they all work pretty well. Amazon often has some good deals certainly during the November sweeps sale season. I use both rolls and bags.

4. Damn you all, I love tools. Especially kitchen tools.
Word

5. Anybody tried pulled pork, green chili pork, or the like?
I made ribs last week, need to post pictures of that. But no I have not.

6. Has anybody tried to cook veggies, dump in ice bath and refrigerate to just freshen in a sauté later (or even the next day? Thinking of this for Thanksgiving.
Cooked veggies and they turn out awesome but never held them for another time because generally speaking most of them take like 10 minutes other than potatoes. Joel probably has.

7. (this hurts even to type but here goes) My father is the only one in the family that loves his steak well done. Can I sous vide it first, then put in the fridge while doing the rest and maybe just drop it back in for the last 30 mins of our medium rare steaks? Whattaya think?
I think the problem here is the variance in temperature. It is not so much the amount of time the steak is cooked but the temperature at which it is cooked. Ideally you would want two different setups to maintain this. Have one setup you cook everyone elses and another for the lump of meat that your father insists on you ruining. Dual setups are also great for when you want to make veggies and a main at the same time. (I realize this is by no means a reasonable or cheap option but it is the best solution)

8. I love you all, for sharing this new (to me technique) and all your experiences with me.
We do what we can.
Tim H

4 years ago

1. What M_L said. I cooked a cheap pork loin with no pre-brine and no salt in the bag (because I was adding seasoning and chili oil after cooking) at 140°F for 3 hours, and it was tender and moist -- the best pork loin I've ever cooked.

3. I have a Foodsaver but just use ziploc bags for sous vide because it's so much easier. There is some debate about safety issues on the Internet, but both Modernist Cuisine and Kenji at The Food Lab are okay with it. Kenji uses the displacement method to get something close to a vacuum seal -- leave one end of the ziploc bag open and gradually lower it into the water to remove the air, then seal it off. Works great, and it's a lot easier than pulling out the Foodsaver.
Rockitman

3 years ago

Regarding SV chicken, I agree w no brining. I've never cooked or eaten such delicious moist chicken breasts since I started SV'ing them.

I had not tried SV beef filets until the past week because I've been so happy with my grilling. But I seasoned two filets and then SV'd for 60 minutes at 140, then seared both sides in a skillet w olive oil, slab of butter. And garlic. Omg, Never had a better filet in my life.
And In regards to earlier question about satisfying one guest that likes well done steak, I would think you could remove that one filet and grill it for an additional few minutes and bring it up to the proper temp using a thermapen.
Tim H

3 years ago

Cooked a 7 lb. boneless prime rib roast sous vide for Christmas eve dinner at 140°F for 11 hours, and was very happy with the results (used sous vide mainly to free up oven space). Seared it on the grill. My family generally like beef medium, and it was perfect for them while remaining incredibly tender and moist.

One minor issue was that the meat was just beginning to get a slight chalky texture, barely noticeable, but I suspect it would have been better to cook it a shorter time, maybe 8 hours. Still a great success, and I'll probably do it again for family events. So nice to have the oven free all day for other things.

Technique borrowed from Dave Cheung on youtube.

Made a quick gravy too, but the best condiment was this horseradish cream sauce. Easy and awesome.