Timpano ala Big Night Movie - Anyone made one?

Cooking at home and sourcing ingredients
Desert Gal

5 years ago

Skillet Doux wrote:Hey, Desert Gal... when you do this, once fully assembled, how long have you successfully held it before cooking? Or does it really need to go into the oven pretty much immediately?
Also Dom, if you leave out things that don't freeze well (eggs, mushrooms) you could always freeze a portion, although I personally think freezing cooked pasta is just plain weird. The most important thing is finding a proper baking vessel. The large enamel bowl I use is no longer available (that I can find). I have two of the large bowls, I can loan you one if you like. I can still find the smaller enamel bowls on Ebay.
Desert Gal

3 years ago

The NY Times made a Timpano using pasta sheets - so gonna try this next time I make one. The monumental task of rolling out a huge round of pasta dough is what keeps me from making one more often.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/16/dinin ... .html?_r=0
anonman

3 years ago

Yeah, pasta sheets/fresh lasagna sheets are a nice time saver. I actually use them to make pappardalle when pressed for time. Hand cut usually adds a nice rustic look. Yes, making pasta isn't that hard, but when you have a finite amount of time and your spouse would rather you not mess up the kitchen with flour while also messing it up with a 4 hour meat sauce, well.... pick your battles. I feel a little dirty for suggesting this, but yeah, I've done it.
Desert Gal

3 years ago

anonman wrote:Yeah, pasta sheets/fresh lasagna sheets are a nice time saver.
Anonman, I agree, I'm not above buying fresh pasta, but it would take a ton of packages to make a timpano. I was comparing spending an hour or so hand-rolling out a giant sheet to fitting together home made sheets made scratch from one of my five or six pasta makers.

I actually mentioned this idea in this thread way before the NY Times wrote about it but I highly doubt they ripped my idea off, lol. More like great minds think alike! :roll:

Anywho, I was clicking through Food 52 recipes and eventually stumbled on this Sicilian version of Timpano made with bread instead of pasta. There is a video at the end. I still like my version better but this looks way easier and I wouldn't turn it down if someone served me a slice. http://www.great-chicago-italian-recipe ... aganu.html