Denver, CO

Traveling and dining in other Arizona cities and beyond
Lunchbox

6 years ago

We're heading to Denver for a long weekend in August for a wedding. So we won't have a ton of time (and we're bringing the kids) but we should have a couple of opportunities to try a few spots. I'm not sure what part of town we'll be staying but we will have a car. I've never been to Denver (only the airport) so I'm looking forward to seeing the city. Any suggestions?
-- LBX

Instagram: @zachary.garcia

Twitter: @zach_garcia
loranlouavul

6 years ago

A dear friend lived outside of Denver and she would always send me spices from the Savory Spice Shop. Contact them and I am sure they can give you great tips of where to eat, etc. www.savoryspiceshop.com. Lora
Christina

6 years ago

I've only been to Euclid Hall but loved it. My visit was January of last year. Met up there with a local food writer friend (she's a big fan too) for a late lunch. Casual, pub atmosphere, and there were a couple of families with kids when we were there. Not sure about a kid's menu, but how about a round of cheese curds? ;)

http://www.euclidhall.com/

This is my friend's website (lots of great Denver info), with a picture of the "chips and dip" I took:

http://www.ruthtobias.com/denveater/201 ... chips-dip/

A few more highlights from that visit were:

"Everything Nice" - Deschutes Black Butte Porter, Firestone Double Barrel Ale, Ron Zacapa rum, Frangelico, St. Elizabeth’s Allspice Dram.

Pig ear pad thai - tamarind chili sauce, scallions, peanuts, egg, bean sprouts, mint, lime, and cilantro. SO GOOD!!

Duck, Duck, Goose - duck poutine with duck gravy and Wisconsin cheddar curds, duck egg, and foie gras. Oomph.

Lunchbox

6 years ago

Bumping this thread as our trip is coming up and I want to make some plans... Anybody have additional recs?
-- LBX

Instagram: @zachary.garcia

Twitter: @zach_garcia
Erin

6 years ago

I haven't eaten in Denver proper but this place in Boulder we had small plates at was delicious.

http://thekitchencommunity.com/upstairs-boulder/

The Mac n Cheese was like crack in a bowl. I'm not normally a mac and cheese girl, but I couldn't stop eating that.

Pete wanted to try this place called Fruition, which is in Denver, but sadly we didn't get the chance.

http://fruitionrestaurant.com/
olllllo

6 years ago

As someone that crams as much beer culture into a day, my Denver experience ranges from low end to high.
On the low end (but good)
Illegal Pete's
Two Fisted Marios
A burrito out of a cooler off the street. (Risky)

Mid
Breckenridge BBQ on Kalamath
Rackhouse Pub next to Stranahans

High(er) end
Will second Euclid Hall
Cheeky Monk for Moules and Frites.

Breakfast
Sams #3
¡Salud!

Rob
BeerPHXation A local Phoenix Metro beer culture celebration and admonition
@olllllo
cactuschowdah

6 years ago

Will triple the recommendation on Euclid Hall. Most of my meals were in Boulder as well...
Skillet Doux

6 years ago

I was in Denver for a couple of days last week, and... well, yeah, managed to squeeze in some good eats :-)

Sadly, the place I most wanted to hit -- Makan, for Malaysian -- didn't work out due to timing and them being closed on Tuesdays. But we did just fine.

Lunch on Monday was at Osteria Marco. It's a basement joint, casual, loud, hearty Italianish menu, and we had a pretty good meal.
marcoburrata.jpg
Burrata
marcoburrata.jpg (52.1 KiB) Viewed 4438 times
They have a nice list of cheeses and salumi, about half of which are made in-house. We stuck to the latter. More ricotta than burrata in terms of texture, but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. Very nice piece of cheese, fresh and sweet and hit with just a little olive oil, salt and pepper.
marcobresaola.jpg
Bresaola
marcobresaola.jpg (54.41 KiB) Viewed 4438 times
The bresaola was really nice too, even if I wanted to smack our waiter after he twice made a point of incorrectly correcting my pronunciation (if you're going to be that guy, at least be right). Nice, intense flavor.
marcoartichokes.jpg
Whole Grilled Artichoke
marcoartichokes.jpg (55.11 KiB) Viewed 4438 times
The artichoke was solid, if a little overly tough. Love the simple approach, though -- grilled and served with a (rather sweet) aioli.
marcoporkossobuco.jpg
Pork Osso Buco
marcoporkossobuco.jpg (63.47 KiB) Viewed 4438 times
This one was disappointing. All of the accompaniments were great -- hearty Cannellini beans, some kind of succotash with corn and peppers, a nice gremolata -- but the pork shank was mostly dry, and very tough in places. Too bad.
marcoeggplant.jpg
Eggplant (Off Menu)
marcoeggplant.jpg (72.75 KiB) Viewed 4438 times
Best dish of the day, though, was off-book... a request from my father for "something with eggplant." Delicious, crisply fried discs with rich polenta, broccolini, a bright and delicious ragu... simple and killer.

Dinner Monday was an evening at the downtown location of Jax Fish House, and while the details have been rendered fuzzy by the not insignificant amount of wine that flowed by, I'm pretty sure we had a really nice meal, with some beautiful chilled seafood and a lobster roll good enough that I didn't even mind that it was so gussied up. Also, Forbidden Oysters -- get some. A little briny, huge and plump and creamy and sweet. So, so easy to love.

For lunch Tuesday, I was drawn in by the promise of country Japanese in a picturesque setting, and while Domo is a really cool room surrounded by a beautiful garden, the less said about the food the better. It has "coasting on reputation" written all over it. Really, don't bother.

Dinner, however, was great... thanks for the Euclid Hall recs, guys. They're shamelessly cozying up to every trendy menu item of the moment, but who cares... the food was delicious.
euclidhallfoie.jpg
Foie Gras
euclidhallfoie.jpg (75.55 KiB) Viewed 4438 times
Foie gras by the ounce, with a raspberry(?) sauce of some point, and toast... no frills, perfectly seared.
euclidhallpickled.jpg
Pickles
euclidhallpickled.jpg (55.87 KiB) Viewed 4438 times
Nothing showstopping, but a nice selection of pickled -- green beans, bread and butter chips, spicy dills, and one infused with... stout? Some type of beer.
euclidhallpadthai.jpg
Pad Thai Pig Ears
euclidhallpadthai.jpg (60.14 KiB) Viewed 4438 times
Christina, I was as enthused as you by my first bite. But this is one where less would be more. The first bite's the best, the second is still delicious, and the third is tasty, and after that it's just too much. Crazy, crazy intense, really heavy on tart tamarind (I can't imagine adding more sourness, lime wedges notwithstanding). It was good, just... too much.
euclidhallsausage.jpg
Beef Short Rib Kielbasa, Boudin Noir
euclidhallsausage.jpg (54.48 KiB) Viewed 4438 times
Great sausages. Lovely texture, flavor, and snap on the kielbasa. And the boudin noir was made with eggplant and a touch of curry. And they came with a selection of great mustards. This is one of the things I'd go back for, and I'd like to try their other sausages.
euclidhallpoutine.jpg
Lamb Poutine (special)
euclidhallpoutine.jpg (70.9 KiB) Viewed 4438 times
I know, I know... but it's a really nice version. This one was a special, with lamb, lamb gravy, and cheddar curds. It's exactly what it looks like. I'd get this again in a heartbeat.
euclidhallporkchop.jpg
Fresh "Hammed" Kurobuta Pork Chop
euclidhallporkchop.jpg (58.5 KiB) Viewed 4438 times
I only got a taste of this, and I wish I'd gotten it myself. I hadn't caught the title on the menu, and my first comment was that it's almost like a ham. Which, apparently, is exactly the point. It's cured and lightly smoked, and it really is positioned halfway between a ham and a pork chop, and it's fabulously delicious. Great dish.
euclidhalloysterpoboy.jpg
Oyster Po' Boy
euclidhalloysterpoboy.jpg (57.71 KiB) Viewed 4438 times
And this was no slouch, though I wish it were served in a form that were edible by some manner other than knife and fork. Beautiful fried oysters -- huge and plump with a delicious, craggy crust. The were some pickled onions and cucumbers, a smear of bacon aioli (like I say, shameless), and a hot sauce that I'm certain was fruit-based somehow. Non-canonical, and really, really tasty.

I wish I'd had more time... there's a lot I'd like to get to.

Osteria Marco
www.osteriamarco.com
1453 Larimer Street
Denver, CO 80202
303-534-5855

Jax Fish House
www.jaxdenver.com
1539 17th Street
Denver, CO 80202
303-292-5767

Domo
www.domorestaurant.com
1365 Osage Street
Denver, CO 80204
303-595-3666

Euclid Hall
www.euclidhall.com
1317 14th Street
Denver, CO 80202
303-595-4255
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
Skillet Doux

5 years ago

A dear friend's wedding brought me and Dr. Doux back to Denver a couple of weeks back, and we had a little time to do some non-wedding related eating.

First stop was a new joint in the lobby of the Hotel Teatro called The Nickel. As it happened, we arrived the day before their grand opening, and were kind of roped into their friends and family day. Everything was comped, and as a friends and family day it wasn't meant for publication so I won't go into detail, but we had a great meal and the place is definitely worth checking out.

Somehow I got it in my head that Jax Fish House was open for lunch, so when we discovered that it wasn't, the seafood craving was not to be denied and we ended up at Ocean Prime, and for some reason it didn't occur to me that this was probably the same Ocean Prime as here in Phoenix until after the fact. In any case, it was pretty much forgettable. Almost no chilled seafood of any kind available at lunchtime, which was a big disappointment. But I don't mean to ding them for not being something they're not trying to be. Very good lobster bisque. Standard issue stupid expensive shrimp cocktail ($5/per). Lousy crab wedge with really dry, tasteless crab meat. Not a very good experience.

Rioja is one of Denver's staples, the chef (Jennifer Jasinski, also the chef at Euclid Hall) pulled down the James Beard for Best Chef SW last year, and it was right around the corner from the hotel so we decided to go check it out. It's sort of Spanish/Mediterranean-influenced contemporary American and we had a really nice meal.
riojaduckflatbread.jpg
Duck Confit Flatbread
riojaduckflatbread.jpg (91.67 KiB) Viewed 3833 times
A duck confit flatbread starter was delicious -- big flavor. The bread didn't have the kind of artistry that you expect from dedicated pizza joints, but it had character and flavor, and the duck, along with cherries, gorgonzola, lemon, and pistachios was mighty fine. Delicious.

I'm miffed I neglected to take a photo of the next course, artichoke tortelloni with a white truffle brodo. Delightful pasta, really delicate, with some kind of artichoke mousse, and a broth that brought a heady whiff of real truffle.
riojahalibut.jpg
Halibut
riojahalibut.jpg (80.27 KiB) Viewed 3833 times
I coveted Dr. Doux's main. This halibut was killer -- bright tomatillo sauce over grits with some radish and preserved lemon. Absolutely awesome. Wish I'd gotten this.
riojalamb.jpg
Colorado Lamb Variations
riojalamb.jpg (79.66 KiB) Viewed 3833 times
Which isn't to say mine wasn't delicious (it was), but I made a poor choice. I couldn't resist the siren's call of some local lamb, even though I kind of expected the dish to be fairly straightfoward given the description. And it was fairly straightforward, but done so, so well that I didn't mind so much. A grilled loin, some other cut was braised, with bordelaise, some nice chewy farro, rapini, mushrooms. Though frankly I could have just had the tartare and been happy. Good stuff.
riojalime.jpg
Key Lime Pie... sort of
riojalime.jpg (80.73 KiB) Viewed 3833 times
I don't remember what they called this, but it was essentially a repackaged key lime pie, and WOW that green sauce. I'm puckering just thinking about it. Imaginative, beautifully executed, smacked me in the face. Great dessert.

It's about as far from under the radar as you're going to get, but a great stop.

Lunch on our way out of town consisted of another stop at Euclid Hall with some friends, so you know another poutine was in the works:
euclidpoutine.jpg
Duck Poutine
euclidpoutine.jpg (102.4 KiB) Viewed 3833 times
Duck confit, cheddar, gravy... nothing wrong with this at all.
euclidfish.jpg
Fish & Chips
euclidfish.jpg (122.7 KiB) Viewed 3833 times
I got a fish and chips special. Can't say I was a fan of the chips, but the fish was great. Plus, a little stroke of genius. I always feel like I have to dump half a bottle of malt vinegar onto my fish & chips to get them as vinegary as I want, and by that time, they're soggy. Enter: malt vinegar syrup. I think it was basically a malt vinegar gastrique, though not very sweet, and it was absolutely perfect -- super intense malt vinegar flavor in a little drizzle that didn't upset the crisp batter. Every place that does fish and chips should do this. Every damn one.
euclidsausages.jpg
Sausages
euclidsausages.jpg (127.58 KiB) Viewed 3833 times
The star, however, is the sausages. I know I appreciated them on the first pass, but even more so on this pass. They're really exceptional. From left to right: Beef Short Rib Kielbasa, Swedish Pork and Potato Sausage, Leberkäse, and Boudin Noir. Every one a gem. Plus, four house mustards. This is the absolute don't miss here.

So many restaurants, so little time... I'll get to that Malaysian joint one of these trips... *sigh*

Rioja
www.riojadenver.com
1431 Larimer Street
Denver, CO 80202
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
steve drucker

4 years ago

Dom--great reports.

An upcoming family event finds us staying in downtown Denver. Thinking DiFranco's or Masterpiece Deli lunch then Panzano night 1, Sam's #3 breakfast followed by Euclid Hall or Work & Class night 2. Still need a pre-flight meal stop Sunday AM before our 2PM flight home.

Q: We have, and have long had, ok Malay food in Atl. Is there something special about Makan?

Interesting comments re Domo, which we went to 10 years ago, found the building charming and the food pleasant. Posted about it over on LTHforum, and since then it seems to have taken on a wiki life of its own :lol:
steve drucker

4 years ago

An excellent eating trip with full write up over on the Chicago board
http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.ph ... &sp=498718

And just a tease:
Mike Z

3 years ago

Leaving soon for a four day weekend downtown with the girl, and I'm not looking for Recs. Rioja and Linger are def on my radar. I've done my Foodnerd homework 8-)

My questions is: How casual is Denver? Is it like the valley where you can go pretty much anywhere with shorts, sandals, a button down shirt and an appetite?
Mike Z

3 years ago

Downtown Denver is a great for a long weekend. Everything is within walking distance of the city center, so we didn't even bother with a car rental. Full album can be found here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/52687695@ ... 0293889800

But here are the highlights . . .

range
http://www.rangedowntwon.com
IMG_5276.JPG
BRAISED OXTAIL RELLENO
IMG_5276.JPG (126.95 KiB) Viewed 1570 times
piquillo pepper, celery root puree, roasted shallots, red wine jus

Not to take anything away from the toasts, but THIS was flat-out awesome. The girl had her doubts about oxtail, but it was so rich and tender. One of the best dishes of the trip

Harry’s Bar and Grill
http://www.magnoliahotels.com/denver/ha ... -grill.php
IMG_5281.JPG
Lamb Shank LOLIPOPS
IMG_5281.JPG (122.9 KiB) Viewed 1570 times
Two small chops, perfectly medium rare, over mashed parsnips (?), with greens and carm'd apricots. Killer

Appaloosa Grill
http://appaloosagrill.com/
IMG_5328.JPG
FALAFEL-LAMB SLIDERS
IMG_5328.JPG (96.11 KiB) Viewed 1570 times
Hand pressed lamb patties, cucumber, red onion, feta, cilantro, sour cream, crispy falafel bun, balsamic greens

We liked the hell out of these. Really inventive smooshing down falafel into ‘buns’. The sausage could have been spicier, but otherwise nothing not to love

Beast + Bottle
http://beastandbottle.com/

This place is a MUST. We went for Sunday brunch, both dishes were great, especially the Corned Lamb, which may have been the dish of the trip. One mind boggling moment involving ice, but . . . rarely am I compelled as I was here to pop my head in the kitchen to say “Thanks” and “Wow” and “Amazing” and “Phenomenal”
IMG_5339.JPG
SPECIAL - JOHNNY CAKE w/ DUNGENESS CRAB
IMG_5339.JPG (119.36 KiB) Viewed 1570 times
A special of the day . . . a johnny cake topped with Dungeness crab, greens, various herbs, jalapeno, and tarragon aioli
IMG_5338.JPG
CORNED LAMB SHANK HASH
IMG_5338.JPG (99.56 KiB) Viewed 1570 times
english peas, calabrian chili, horseradish, sunny egg

I wish I had the words . . . shredded hunks of the most amazing corned lamb, not shy in the least on the spice . . . the potatoes!, cubes of skillfully fried crisp on the outside and fluffy in the middle, perfectly cooked egg, sliced calabrian chilis, tangy salad greens, and some sort of sauce/foam in the bed of the dish. Just phenomenal

Dae Gee Korean BBQ
http://www.daegee.com/
IMG_5346.JPG
DAE GEE KOREAN BBQ
IMG_5346.JPG (137.77 KiB) Viewed 1570 times
Dae Gee straight up rocked. ‘They kill it, You grill it’ Korean BBQ right at the table. I’d prefer if they found a better way to ventilate/cool down the room, but it wouldn’t stop me from sweating to the tasties. Bonus? Great music. Heavy on the Arctic Monkeys

One of our group had a veggie bim bhop bowl. The rest of us rocked the scallops, beef bulgogi, and pork belly, along with many of the usual banchan suspects