Flagstaff eats?

Traveling and dining in other Arizona cities and beyond
themis

7 years ago

I think it was JK that mentioned the Diablo Burger's sphericity issue, but yeah. Doesn't inhibit my enjoyment in the least, though - in all honesty, I have to include Diablo Burger in my top ten favorite places in AZ. I love everything about what they do and how they source; I like the portion sizes, this is how food should come to your table, this is how we should be eating, and it's all gooood. When Chow Bella reported that they were expanding to Tucson instead of Phoenix my heart broke a little. It's too bad they don't see the central area as being the right market for their way of business. Yet.

I will mention here, because it hasn't been added yet and is probably kind of a surprise, that I try to hit Beaver St Brewing Co every time I'm in Flagstaff. It probably seems dated and commercial and too appealing to the masses for most of you guys to give it a chance. I simply have a problem saying no to their beer cheese fondue, which comes out with a mounded plate of really good bread and veggies, and is sharp as hell, more of a rarebit than a bland cheese dip. Their chef is also a fair hand at sausage-making, so they do a choucroute garni plate in the fall (not billed as such on the menu, probably called a sampler plate) that makes me really happy. Either of those things after a day of skiing really works for me. Also like to order a pint of the half berry, half stout. It was a surprise to find a brewery that was so chef-driven. It's been there for what seems like forever, they do giant volume, they're usually overrun with noisy families and huge groups, but I've never been disappointed by my experience.
cactuschowdah

7 years ago

I will second the recommendation on Macy's for breakfast and coffee. I've sometimes thought of driving up there just for the coffee. Will have to try all these other places that have been mentioned- I'm a Flag creature of habit and usually just hit up Beaver St for food. Tinderbox and Diablo sound awesome.
JRaducha

7 years ago

Check out Pizzicletta.
Tallen234

6 years ago

We are heading up this weekend just in time to avoid the inferno down in Phoenix. THere was an article in the New Times a few days ago on some Flagstaff eats:

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bella/ ... summer.php

Anyone else have any tips or new experiences?
PHXeater

6 years ago

I'm actually in Flagstaff right now and heading to Diablo burger tonight, will report back. I found Tinderbox overrated when i went there in the fall personally, but I seem to be in the minority...

That chowbella article seems really well done though so probably will pick for Saturday's dinner from that list.
Dapuma

6 years ago

PHXeater wrote:I'm actually in Flagstaff right now and heading to Diablo burger tonight, will report back. I found Tinderbox overrated when i went there in the fall personally, but I seem to be in the minority...

That chowbella article seems really well done though so probably will pick for Saturday's dinner from that list.
I thought Tinderbox was overrated as well, but everyone else seemed to really enjoy it

I think for Flagstaff it is pretty good, but compared to Phoenix it would struggle - however that is based on a single visit
katfishkh

6 years ago

Get thee to Coppa Cafe and Bistro. We have been spending quite a bit of time up north this month, and after several visits this joint is a do not miss. Brian and Paola are great people with some serious chops in the kitchen. Watch them on FB as they did a locally foraged mushroom dinner a few weeks ago that was off the charts.

On a recent visit he brought out a sample of a tripe terrine he was playing around, and it was just killer. Menu changes quite a bit, but everything we have sampled has been fantastic. Local free range veal was off the charts. Not white, more dark pink in color in, truly fantastic. Have sampled pastas, charcuterie, beef, veal, wild fish, ofal and some of the tastiest deserts using fresh seasonal fruits such as a local fig tart that was heavenly. Best joint in town by far. Small, so make a reso!
Do not resist temptation, you may not get another chance.
AZLobo

6 years ago

BarbaraToombs wrote: We've opted to stayed at the "haunted" Hotel Monte Vista...any comments on that one way or another? Didn't want a cookie-cutter chain hotel, and the Weatherford, while it looks pretty cool, only had double beds available with a shared bath...I think not. ;)
What was the verdict on the Monte Vista? I need a place to stay in Flag in October -- suggestions appreciated...
BarbaraToombs

6 years ago

We liked it a lot, AZLobo! Convenient, interesting history...no frills and room was pretty small, but we still liked the vibe and it was clean and decent. I'd stay there again for sure, especially over some run-of-the-mill chain place. We like to be in the "thick" of things, and that was perfect for us! :)
AZLobo

6 years ago

Thanks for the feedback!
Nam

4 years ago

Satchmo's is still delicious! The thin gumbo of yesteryear is a distant memory, thick roux happy tummy times. For those that require a strong smoke flavor to be part of your bbq might not like it as much, but I still really like their ribs!

Beaver Street Brewery was just alright. I haven't had much fondue, but theirs was tame compared to ELF + Culinary Dropout. Only other place I've had it was Red Robin ( don't you judge me ) which BSB beat, but not by much. Their salad/personal pizza that my wife had is a great value + tasty. My entree of sausages were strong, but could've suffered by recently having zur kates which were better. Great service tho!
J Live

4 years ago

Had lunch at a cute little place called Pasto Cucina Italiana in Flag over Labor Day weekend. Everything that everyone in my group ordered as their main item was just okay. But that didn't matter because we also ordered the most delicious portabella and eggplant fries as a starter. Came out piping hot with a tempura batter with a thick balsamic dipping sauce. We ended up getting three orders and was partially the reason no one cared much about their main dish.

I'll add that it's a great spot for a leisurely lunch as they have a beautiful back patio. We had three kids under the age of four with us and they just played in the back patio and had a blast (we were the only group back there) while our group ended up going through order after order of the fries. I'm sure there is something else good on the menu and I'll definitely be back. The chef had just pulled out his smoker as we were leaving and was preparing to smoke a number of chickens right there on the back patio. Worth a stop just to sit back there on a nice day.

Pasto-Cucina Italiana
19 E. Aspen
Flagstaff, AZ 86001
Open Tuesday - Saturday 11am to close, Sunday brunch 11am - 4
Nac Mac Feegle

4 years ago

Not quite IN Flagsaff

But worth the trip, especially if you're doing The Canyon.

The restaurant at the Historic Cameron Trading Post. The Navajo Taco is awesome. Just be sure to get the small one.

The construction is getting to the point where you can make a left turn when Northbound, so it's a lot safer to make the trip.
Nac Mac Feegle

4 years ago

Trying to post from a new pad, sorry.

If you're going to The Canyon, Fred's Diner at Bedrock Village in Valle (halfway between Williams and The Canyon) is a surprisingly good little diner. Great burgers and specials in a funky 'tourist trap gift shop' atmosphere at a good price.
BillBuitenhuys

4 years ago

This past weekend we had a super experience at Pizzicletta (no surprise), wonderful bowls of ramen with Joshua Riesner (ex-Atlas/Pig&Pickle) at SoSoBa, and fantastic dinner and drinks (multiple visits for drinks) with Olivia at Tinderbox.

Our attempt at going to Coppa was a #fail. Despite having made an Open Table res, the restaurant had no notice of our (and a few other couples) reservations. They said that their OT link wasn't working. Ok, I get technical difficulties and being such a small spot, could see that there was no good remedy. The chef/owner was visibly angry with the mess...now 4 couples with no sign of a res in a packed, 10(?) table place.... (he was bright red and loud with staff) and the hostess was flustered too. After 15mins of waiting and not being brought the wine list that the hostess offered to bring us right away, we thought it would be best for all if we left. We found 2 spots at the Tinderbox bar and all was good again.
jacqaz

3 years ago

I am in Flagstaff right now and thought I should check in here to see if any new suggestion come up.

My husband and I always enjoy our meals at Criollo Latin Kitchen. Never had a bad meal here. Service is always on par and we like that they source local as much as possible.

Pork belly tacos were well seasoned and the jalapeño glaze was a delight.

Crispy plantains is always a nice light snack before the main course.

Criollo Burger is always a solid go to for guys.

We don't drink alcohol, so no real input on that. We tried tinderbox once, it was good but not really high on our list for the cost. Figured I should list Criollo for alternatives if someone is looking for suggestions. :-)

Criollo Latin Kitchen
http://criollolatinkitchen.com
16 N San Francisco St, Flagstaff, AZ 86001

Lunch
Monday - Friday
11 a.m. - 4 p.m.

Happy Hour
Monday - Friday
3 - 6 p.m.

Dinner
Every Day
4 - 10 p.m.

Brunch
Saturday & Sunday
9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
I was born in Taiwan, where eating is the national sport!

- Jacq
MyLifeOnVacatio

3 years ago

We just had a great weekend in Flagstaff. In addition to another stellar visit to Pizzicletta, we discovered two new gems.

Cafe Daily Fare - 408 E Route 66
This is just up the hill from downtown. We ended up here by chance when we saw it on the way to the hotel. What a lucky pick, because our lunch was excellent. The menu had a good variety and everything was really nicely prepared. Frittata of the day w/ salad and muffuletta sandwich:
ImageImage

Shift - 107 N San Francisco St
Another wonderful surprise was Shift! A husband and wife team (he had previously been at Tinderbox, she a pastry chef) who opened this little spot in early April. Their dinner menu is tapas style, with a really interesting variety nearly everything house made. It was just excellent and you can tell that a lot of care and imagination goes into the menu and execution. We had such a fabulous time Saturday night that we went back this morning for brunch. Great stuff happening here. First, they had me at croquetas - made with white beans and garnished with anchovies. So Spanish! The chitarra pasta with mussels also had a Spanish feel with the sauce having an escabeche feel. Corn ricotta cappelletti were also excellent, especially the corn jus sauce that tempted me to lick the plate. I didn't get a pic of the short rib, but it was really nice, as was the chicken charcuterie plate (chicken liver pate, rillettes with red wine gel and pickled mustard seeds, and chicken & pork sausage over sauce peach mostardo with a garnish of black radish).

Dessert was an easy choice, they called it 'deconstructed' nectarine shortcake: simmered nectarines with shortbread biscuits, ricotta whipped cream, graham cracker gelato and poppyseed "glass". Each individual component was delicious and then combined was just wow.
Dinner:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage.

Brunch:
They made their own mortadella in house, which was delicious on the brioche bun topped with duck egg. I went for the decadent (and not tapa sized portion!) maple pork biscuits & gravy with cured egg yolk. That and a grapefruit mimosa. Oh, and these fantastic little donut holes. We will be back!
ImageImageImage