Flagstaff eats?

Traveling and dining in other Arizona cities and beyond
BarbaraToombs

8 years ago

Hey all! Any recommendations on decent eating/drinking in Flag? (ARE there any? ;) )

Haven't been there in ages, but hubby and I heading up for Cinco de Mayo weekend for our 5th anniversary, just to get outta Dodge for a while (and because Jerome, Prescott, Cottonwood, Sonoita are all booked SOLID that weekend!)
grrlscout

8 years ago

I used to go up there weekly (lived in Sedona and played soccer in a Flagstaff league). But that was a few years ago. So I'm not much help.

I have heard good things about Tinderbox. For something casual, yet delicious, I love the "stank burger" (garlic and bleu cheese) at Flagstaff Brewery. They have a nice patio too.
~ Korina
gardener | forager | permie | maker of things
azhotdish

8 years ago

Tinderbox Kitchen - think "upscale comfort food" done really, really well. They opened the Annex next door which I haven't been to, but it's a bar with a small bar menu that looks solid.

Lumberyard Brewing is basically across the street - if it's nice outside, it's a good place to day drink. I thought their food was passable, at best, but who really cares when they make a solid IPA?

I always hear lots of love for Diablo Burger...

Martanne's Cafe is solid for breakfast if you're not totally in love with Macy's.
---
Joel
@azhotdish
olllllo

8 years ago

In addition to what Joel said, Mother Road Brewing is nearby. They are Flag's newest.

There are 5 breweries in Flag and 4 are walkable. They literally have an Ale Trail.

Uptown Billiards has 60 single malt scotches.
¡Salud!

Rob
BeerPHXation A local Phoenix Metro beer culture celebration and admonition
@olllllo
The Cosmic Jester

8 years ago

I was just up there last week. I tried Diablo Burger and loved it. They're very representative of Flagstaff in general to me: Everything is locally made, they're cash only, the location itself is kind of oddball. My one quibble was that the beef had a bit of the dreaded softball syndrome (where they don't put a dent in the middle and the beef puffs up to an almost spherical shape). Other than that, they could easily play with the big boys down here in Phoenix, and possibly beat them.
Mike Todd

8 years ago

I second (or third) the Tinderbox Kitchen recommendation. They're not inventing anything new there, but all of the food we had was very well conceived and prepared. We didn't have a chance to sample all of the Annex's charms, but we did enjoy the two cocktails we ordered. I'd love to have a long summer weekend up in Flag just so I could have a chance for more thorough exploration of their spirits list--something that would require at least a few hours of committed day drinking. ;)

Back in 2010 (I think), we had a couple of good pies at New Jersey Pizza Company--high quality cheese and toppings, and a crust with a perfectly crisp exterior and chewy/tender interior. A good option for a more casual meal. The service aspect of the place seemed a little half-assed (e.g., they were out of various beverages on our visit), but I had no complaints about the food. It seems like the sort of place where one might want to call in an order to pick up, and then take advantage of the time between placing the order and picking it up to scout around for a spot to do some al fresco dining.

http://newjerseypizzacompany.com/
jwillensky

8 years ago

Agree on New Jersey Pizza Company in East Flag (eccentric people, but good). Also love chilaquiles at MartAnne's. I also like the Fireman's mocha at Late For the Train coffee -- it has the habañero thing going on.
artvandelay

8 years ago

I'll second the recommendation for Diablo Burger. And if it's important to you the beef is local and humanely raised.
Christina

8 years ago

I've only been once (took mom and dad there on their last visit), but am also a fan of Tinderbox Kitchen. I agree with Mike - I need a long summer weekend to enjoy Flagstaff and explore further.
BarbaraToombs

8 years ago

Wow! Thanks for the great (and useful!) responses, guys!! I've got my list ready. Sadly (or maybe not!), day drinking factored into our choice of locations to visit (which is why we also like Prescott and Jerome!). Now we've just got to target a breakfast location up there that ALSO serves a mean Bloody Mary, and we're made in the shade! Taking a bottle of Angostura bitters with me for hangover help as well. :D

We've opted to stayed at the "haunted" Hotel Monte Vista...any comments on that one way or another? Didn't want a cookie-cutter chain hotel, and the Weatherford, while it looks pretty cool, only had double beds available with a shared bath...I think not. ;)
grrlscout

8 years ago

I've never stayed at the Monty V, but I've had some great times at the bar / club downstairs!
~ Korina
gardener | forager | permie | maker of things
chrislee

8 years ago

Another +1 for Tinderbox. We've tried a bunch of places up there and Tinderbox is the one that always stands out. Have had several great meals there. Also love that the chef is a fan of blue cheese. You'll always find it in a dish or two and usually to good effect. :)
ciaomari

8 years ago

Tinderbox? *raises both hands* Reminded me of FnB. Hit Annex first for daily market board: cheese, charcuterie, pâté and rillettes I thought comparable to the Valley's best [Greg/Payton/Charleen]. New Jersey Pizza: what jwillensky said. Picnic! Prop the box open so it doesn't get steamy, and head directly to Courthouse park 5 minutes away. Flag seems to have a wealth of tiny craft bakeries now. While my options were limited, loved to-go treats from A Touch of Sugar [on 4th St, near the Farmers Market] The Monte Vista is so cool; enjoy some Intellgentsia coffee for me. The Lone Pine restaurant in Munds Park is great for breakfast or lunch on the way up or down. It's like a diner set in a log cabin; simple and unpretentious, with decent eats. We loved the salsa so much we asked to buy some to take home. Great meeting Mark last night...you lovebirds have fun! PS I know you're a vodka gal, but if Mark likes gin, TB had some great ones when I was there last October, including Nolet's [Holland] and Nolet's Reserve.
BarbaraToombs

8 years ago

Thanks, Marianne! Some GREAT suggestions and good detail. I tried making reservation at Tinderbox...no go for parties under 5 (damn, c'mon! It's our anniversary!). :) But we'll get there right at 5 when they open and enjoy the charcuterie, as you suggest, in Annex first! Will report back any culinary discoveries!
gritsnyc

8 years ago

The best Indian food we've had in Arizona happens to be in Flagstaff -- next to Wal-Mart, of all places. Delhi Palace. It's so good, we almost go to FLG just to eat there.
BarbaraToombs

8 years ago

Thanks for all the info, folks! Had a GREAT time in Flagstaff, which was really hopping with their "First Fridays" art walk as we arrived that evening. We spent a sinful amount of time at the Lumberyard Brewery (pretty good bar food, excellent beer - per my husband - and some TASTY sangria), and our meal at the Tinderbox Saturday night was absolutely FANTASTIC. The charcuterie board alone (little did I know) would have been enough for dinner; filled with one of the best chicken liver pates I've ever tasted, some tasty cold meats (duck, a cocoa-crusted beef, pork), various terrines, cheeses, and a blueberry chutney. Oh my! Husband had BBQ pork belly to start with. We overstuffed ourselves afterwards with seared scallops/brussels sprouts/brown butter (me) and steak with potatoes au gratin (husband). Both were delicious, and the service was excellent. Definitely will be back there!
Skillet Doux

8 years ago

Thanks for the report, Barbara!

Somehow, we've still managed not to see any part of the state other than Phoenix metro. Need to get up north this summer.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
Nam

7 years ago

Over my birthday I spent a weekend in Flagstaff in August, and wanted to share some quick thoughts about where we went:

Satchmo's- cute tiny place on 7th ave off of rte. 66 with homage to Louie + duets with Ella playing over the sound system, bills itself as Creole/BBQ but visits should definitely sample the Creole inspired side of things, with their blackened catfish being outstanding with a house made remoulade pretty light on the aioli, jambalaya murky, funky even but in a wonderful way, with the gumbo being the relative disappointment- if you like gumbos with a lighter broth this might be to your liking but it definitely was too thin for my tastes. My fiancee had the pulled pork sandwich, sweet potato fries, and tater tots, all of which was fine but not worth going back for.

Cuvee 928- very airy restaurant with lots of light coming in and half bar/bistro feel, located in downtown Flagstaff. My tomato basil soup was straightforward but enjoyable, with the goat cheese helping lift it into the very good category with some very tangy notes. My Reuben was unremarkably decent, but I very much enjoyed the cous cous + side salad that came with it. My fiancee's chicken caesar wrap was far superior, with every flavor you'd expect doubled and everything having a very crisp texture, which was relieving as the flash-fried chicken bites inside + lettuce was lathered with sauce but not soggy at all.

Diablo Burger- came here an hour after lunch after Cuvee 928 so not a fair review at all, but boringly ordered a Big Daddy Kane; cooked medium, bacon, cheddar, pickles on it. Everything that can be sourced locally is stated as such ( which extends to justification to cash only! ) so hats off to them for that- the patty itself was tasty but the texture was really crumbly, probably due to that softball syndrome themis mentioned. Worth a revisit on a less full stomach!
Skillet Doux

7 years ago

Thanks for the report, Nam! I love that Cuvee 928 is apparently making good use of Satchmo's smoked salmon :-)

Satchmo's
www.satchmosaz.com
2320 N. 4th Street
Flagstaff, AZ 86004
928-774-7292

Cuvee 928
www.cuvee928winebar.com
6 E. Aspen Avenue
Flagstaff, AZ 86001
928-214-9463

Diablo Burger
www.diabloburger.com
120 N. Leroux Street
Flagstaff, AZ 86001
928-774-3274
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
Dapuma

7 years ago

ill fire my two cents in here

Tinderbox made some solid drinks if not exceptional, i was not that impressed by it but the rest of our group was when we went , so i was clearly in the minority - i thought they overcooked the porkbelly, but the Mrs loved it

Their mac and cheese dish is very good (but too heavy on the truffle oil), that is what stood out for me, nothing else was that memorable to me

Did not do any of the Charcuterie...however if I am up there again that is what I will go for

Macy's European Coffee House is a vegetarian vegan place, but they have amazing pasteries crosiants and coffee (get the Macy's Special)

The waffle tasted vegan (kind of cardboardy) but made up for it with plenty of fresh fruit and the pastery we had was awesome

I prefered Macy's over Tinderbox myself...especially for the pricepoint

I remember Lumberyard having a cool patio, hurting my ears with country music, and serving huge drinks / beers in jars - we popped in there a couple times on the weekend up there

Crilollo Latin Kitchen, bad service, bad drinks, some of the food came out cold, the rest of it lukewarm at best, poor showing and would not recommend

ciaomari: Nolet's Reserve is very good...and way too expensive :)