LA

Traveling and dining in other Arizona cities and beyond
sinosoul

7 years ago

sourcetags8codes wrote:La trip insight. I love this city except for the traffic. With saying that, the food scene is amazing
He now has six trucks, two full service restaurants, and is well enived (sic) by david chang.
So happy you enjoyed LA, but... no on the bold: http://eater.com/archives/2010/01/08/to ... ournal.php

I'd rather have the MIL's bulgogi tacos than anything off of a Kogi truck. She lets me toss in some funky as isht marinaded kkaennip (and some sambal) which turns the tacos into something that's more "soulful" than anything that'd be served from the whited Kogi empire.
sourcetags8codes

7 years ago

Sinofsoul, have you not read the lucky peach series by David Chang? He says is wish he could be that guy from the Korea burritos lol. I don't know much about la. I've never even heard of that place. Is kogi just not "good" anymore?
sinosoul

7 years ago

Sorry sourcetag, I was being tongue-in-cheek (surely as was David Chang). :lol:

MIL = mother in law. I'm unsure if Kogi was ever "good to begin with". It's kinda like: do you love Bose speakers? Or are these 2 both massive branding machines at work. Some overseas Koreans culinary types (I recently participated in a Korean TV exposé show that shot through out America) think the entire enterprise is a joke.

Granted, I've taken only one bite of a Kogi taco during some food festival (though I wish I can claim I've never had Kogi's), but in general I refuse to partake in this type of "edgy", faux ethnic experience. This joint, run by ex-North Koreans, is probably where I'm going to eat this weekend.

Happy you hit SQIRL; Jessica and her team are doing brill things with such a non-space. LA needs more of her, less Chois. OTOH, his book is finished, and it'll surely be one of the greatest food reads for the toilet this year. Please go buy that, so the ghost-writer can support her living.
ScottofStrand

7 years ago

Tried a couple places in the LA area recently en route to Japan.

I guess this is a new thing? I saw two restaurants that are doing sandwiches using Waffles as the bread. I tried my luck at the Iron Press in Costa Mesa.
Waffle Sandwich2.jpg
Fried Chicken Sandwich, Jalapeno Maple Syrup
Waffle Sandwich2.jpg (52.46 KiB) Viewed 8287 times
Waffle Sandwich.jpg
Proscuitto and Gruyere, Stone Ground Mustard
Waffle Sandwich.jpg (59.4 KiB) Viewed 8287 times
They weren't bad sandwiches, but I think the execution was a little off. The waffles weren't warm, which I thought they'd be. Worth it for the novelty, I suppose.
The Iron Press
theironpress.com

More successful was a trip to Cook's Tortas in Monterey Park. Really killer bread. I had the Torta Ahogada, double dipped and deliciously messy.
TortasAhogadas.jpg
Tortas Ahogada, double dipped.
TortasAhogadas.jpg (58.49 KiB) Viewed 8287 times
Cook's Tortas
http://www.cookstortas.com/Home_Page.html
1944 South Atlantic Blvd
Monterey Park, CA 91754
323-278-3536

Last place was really killer. Haven Gastropub in Old Town Orange County. It was just one of those menu's that I wanted to try everything. Kind of reminded me of Pig and Pickle a little bit.
Haven Pork Riellete.jpg
Pork Riellette in Mason Jar with Toasted Sourdough
Haven Pork Riellete.jpg (56.17 KiB) Viewed 8287 times
Haven Flatbread.jpg
Seasonal Flatbread with Wild Ramps, Guanciale, Mozzarella, Lemon Zest and Poached Egg
Haven Flatbread.jpg (65.51 KiB) Viewed 8287 times
Haven Shepherds.jpg
Lamb, Beef, Vegetables, Rosemary Mashed Potatoes
Haven Shepherds.jpg (54.63 KiB) Viewed 8287 times
Probably the best Shepherd's pie i've had anywhere. Also not featured here was a Black Truffle Mac and Cheese with Gruyere, Fontina and Parmesan. I'll definitely make my way back here when i'm visiting friends again.
Haven Orange
http://www.havengastropub.com/orange/
190 South Glassell Street
Old Towne Orange, CA 92866
sinosoul

7 years ago

ScottofStrand wrote:More successful was a trip to Cook's Tortas in Monterey Park. Really killer bread. I had the Torta Ahogada, double dipped and deliciously messy.

http://www.cookstortas.com/Home_Page.html
1944 South Atlantic Blvd
Monterey Park, CA 91754
323-278-3536
woot. I can walk to this place. 91754 what's up!
ScottofStrand

7 years ago

Oh, I almost forgot I went to East Borough Vietnamese, in Costa Mesa also. There were several shops and restaurants all grouped together in a quasi-hipster/hippy community. I was in the mood for Bahn Mi, so I ended up at the Vietnamese joint. Really hit the spot. Man, I want some proper Bahn Mi in AZ.
EastBourough.jpg
East Borough Viatnamese
EastBourough.jpg (49.97 KiB) Viewed 8241 times
SpringRoll.jpg
Standard Spring Roll
SpringRoll.jpg (37.54 KiB) Viewed 8241 times
PorkBelly BahnMi.jpg
Pork Belly Bahn Mi Special
PorkBelly BahnMi.jpg (50.57 KiB) Viewed 8241 times
PhoBahnMi.jpg
Pho Bahn Mi, with Beef Dipping Sauce
PhoBahnMi.jpg (48.45 KiB) Viewed 8241 times
East Borough, Costa Mesa
http://east-borough.com/
Address: 2937 Bristol St, Costa Mesa, CA 92626
Phone:(714) 641-5010
sourcetags8codes

7 years ago

Nice.

I love Italian food. I know some people don't because its over played out, a tiring trend, or its just a thing thats to somple to like ( something of which i disagree on )

Booked a tabled and made it to one of my favorite spots with six other people to osteria mozza. Nancy Silverton is a great baker/pastry whisper. I know la brea is on a national front now but her shop osteria mozza, and pizzeria mozza is fantastic with the aid of Matt Mollina, and aid from Mario Batail/Joe Bastianich.

Ribolitta alla defina soup (i know it doesn't look like but its close to be the real thing with a touch of refinement)

Braised tripe with mint and tomato

Burrata with caviar, lemon, onion, and bottarga

Burricota (burrata stuffed with ricotta) asparagus, brown butter, and pancetta

Grilled octopus, celery, potato

I love the idea of the mozzarella bar with the slight additions and think its great that bread doesn't need to be served with it.

The pasta program though is what I truly love about this place.

Cold squid ink chittara - uni - jalapeno - crab. This is a riff on a classic dish from sicily where they serve pasta with a room temp sharp sauce. This was awesome though.

Fettucini with wild boar ragu

Egg yolk raviolo, sage, brown butter, and ricotta. The ricotta was almost custard like.

Maltagliati (badly cut) with a duck ragu

My favorite red sauce pasta buccatini alla amatricana. Pretty much a roman staple of onion, guanciale, pecorino, and chilie

Calf brain ravioli. Just melts in your mouth with a little butter and herbs.

The famous beef cheek ravioli with crushed squab liver as the sauce.

Clams, pancetta, green garlic, linguine. Such a simpe dish but simple is better. The texture of this pasta was crazy considering it tasted like a dried pasta with the amount of bite it had.

Sweetbreads, veal demi, lemon, spinach. The best plate of sweetbreads i've ever tried

Rosemary bread, olive oil cake, olive oil gelato with rosemary. Nice and light

Banana fritters, rum raisin ice cream. How can you really go wrong.

Thankfully with some friends help, we got treated to a tasting of grappa. Not knowing my limit of not saying no, I said why not. Apparently they have 80 bottles in house.

Down the struck about 5 minutes away we drive and make it to sun of a gun. I know some people here didn't care for it but personally I love this place over animal. To be far though, I'm a little more partial to seafood than meat. Both are great spots though.

Hamachi, radish, apple, fava, kalbi vinaigrette. Love this. I enjoy places that use bits of meat here and there more for flavoring than just putting meat on a plate.

Shrimp toast sandwich. Yes....i know its rich (some will say greasy) but the siracha mayo on this makes it seem more than it is. Still a great dish though.

Can't really go wrong with oysters.

Lobster roll. Its great but I think what really sets this one apart from others is the bun they use. Buttery, crunchy and the right amount of chew

There were more dishes, smoked mahi fish dip, uni with burrata, salmon with kiwi and a habanero sauce, cheese pie, italian hamburger, fried chicken sandwich with spicy bnb pickles, bentons ham hush puppies, skate wing w/ brandade ravioli and grainy mustard. The pictures were just too tiny / i had too much to drink and couldn't take a picture to save my life.

I must say the burger from eggslut food truck is pretty rad though.

Osteria Mozza
6602 Melrose Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90038

Son Of a Gun
8370 W. 3rd Street Los Angeles, CA 90048
sinosoul

7 years ago

The simply prepared trout @ Bouchon, or a fried garlic tossed lobster at Seafood Village (Monterey Park), or the utterly fantastic camarones marinados (nee, aguachiles) at El Coraloense (Bell Gardens):

is where I much rather spend $ on seafood these days.
sourcetags8codes

7 years ago

Man, I wanted to see bouchon, but I want to see the original one. I've heard that its night and day compared to the other ones.
Dapuma

7 years ago

I like Bouchon in LA for brunch quite a bit, never been for dinner - They almost always have a pork belly special for brunch on Sundays...if they do get it
sinosoul

7 years ago

bouchon napa is quaint and rather charming. bouchon LV/LA exhibits neither of those traits. bouchon LA is rather anesthetized, and the menu can be rather...archaic. HOWEVER, the downstairs bouchon (nickle) bar opens up into a beautiful courtyard, and you'll be mingling with both the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills as well as the ostensibly rich bankers/real estate moguls from nearby. And the trout... it was nearly perfect, with not a trace of sriracha, nor mayo, nor sriracha mayo. It's a useful place when you don't want the boisterous Church & State.
sourcetags8codes

7 years ago

for what its worth, I don't care for sriracha. never understood why people dump it on everything. I sadly didn't make it to church and state. Thats on the list for the next trip.
Dapuma

7 years ago

Where is the best spot to be able to get Ramen on a Sunday around noonish

Will be headed from Costa Mesa OC area towards LA
sinosoul

7 years ago

everything will be open Sunday lunch. you can go with the g'ol Santouka standby at Costa Mesa Mitsua, drive towards Gardena for Hayatemaru's "half" bowl + beer, hop over a few miles, try Jidaiya's superb rendition, then finish off strong at the most trendzoid of 'em all right now: Tsujita's Annex in West LA.

NB: I did a similar "crawl" of LA tonkotsu ramen late last year, and wanted to cut myself about 4 bowls in. YMMV. We ran into JGold @ Hayatemaru, Food Marathon really enjoyed Hayatemaru, but I prefer Jidaiya's nuclear pork option.
Dapuma

7 years ago

sinosoul wrote:everything will be open Sunday lunch. you can go with the g'ol Santouka standby at Costa Mesa Mitsua, drive towards Gardena for Hayatemaru's "half" bowl + beer, hop over a few miles, try Jidaiya's superb rendition, then finish off strong at the most trendzoid of 'em all right now: Tsujita's Annex in West LA.

NB: I did a similar "crawl" of LA tonkotsu ramen late last year, and wanted to cut myself about 4 bowls in. YMMV. We ran into JGold @ Hayatemaru, Food Marathon really enjoyed Hayatemaru, but I prefer Jidaiya's nuclear pork option.
Unfortunatly I cannot do a Ramen marathon, however I can get a Ramen in and a Vietnamese place so that will work for me

Soup for breakfast and then Bun Thit Nuong Cha Gio (I can never find a good one in Phx) for whatever meal is after that :mrgreen:

If we end up here is there a particular # that is better than the others?
http://www.hayatemaruusa.com/en/menu_ramen.html

Or an Jidaiya is there a best option(s)? - didn't see a website for them
Dapuma

6 years ago

Tiki Ti was a blast, that place has a lot of character, and the drinks were excellent. The Ray's Mistake was quite good as were all the drinks, they were a touch on the sweeter side compared to Smugglers Cove so I give the nod there, but that does not take anything away from tiki ti

Red Medicine was pretty disappointing, other than the pork belly lobe we got - which was crazy expensive and crazy delicious - everything else was forgetable (after tiki ti more than a few things were :mrgreen: )

We tried to branch out for a new brunch spot, however we ended up at Bouchon and for once it was pretty disappointing. They had a Bastille day celebration and the food was off, I had the trout which was butter poached and oily and bland, the hash that the Mrs and our friend got had almost no meat in it, and our other friend got the hanger steak which was very good and you could cut with a butter knife - the pastry basket from the chef's choice was okay at best (the almost brioche was good the rest forgetable) but the do make a good coffee

We also got some macaroon's to do some comparison to Bottega Louie, and the macaroon's were disappointing as well, Louie's were pretty good but not Laudree good - Bottega Louie was pretty happening inside and they were trying to get the Laudree Paris vibe going on with their display case, their Tiramisu was ok for a kaluha cake but not good for a tiramisu (mine is better!) - got a comte cheese bread loaf which was pretty good but may have been better as sourdough, from Louie also

Did not have a chance to get Ramen or a special coffee from Miss Cutie (sorry sinosoul)

Fun trip, but traffic in LA is insane, may be awhile before I want to go back - San Fran is a bit easier to get around town and has more food / drink options
Skillet Doux

6 years ago

Dapuma wrote:San Fran ... has more food / drink options
I submit that this depends very much on what type of food / drink you're looking for :-)

Great report, Dapuma... thanks. I'm headed over to that neck of the woods come October, and trying to get my hit list going.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
sinosoul

6 years ago

Dapuma wrote:Red Medicine was pretty disappointing, other than the pork belly lobe we got - which was crazy expensive and crazy delicious - everything else was forgetable (after tiki ti more than a few things were :mrgreen: )
I really enjoy the desserts here, also have had 2 amazing -- though comped -- dinners. We go there just to GTFO out dodge (ie, screaming bags of newborn flesh).
We tried to branch out for a new brunch spot, however we ended up at Bouchon and for once it was pretty disappointing. They had a Bastille day celebration and the food was off, I had the trout which was butter poached and oily and bland, the hash that the Mrs and our friend got had almost no meat in it, and our other friend got the hanger steak which was very good and you could cut with a butter knife - the pastry basket from the chef's choice was okay at best (the almost brioche was good the rest forgetable) but the do make a good coffee
saw your thread on CHOW and DAMN ppl took Bottega Louie to school. FWIW, on Saturday mornings, before the brunch crowd sets in, say, at around 10:00 A.M., it's absolutely possible to have a super chill, extremely beautiful experience there. I mean, you use the restaurant and utilize it at the BEST times, and ignore when it goes to shit. Kinda like going to a dimsum 11 A.M. instead of noon sharp. I get a breakfast G&T (cuz IDGAF), a pitcher of BOTTOMLESS coffee, coupla pastries, and sit for 2 hours with a stack of stupid car magazines. Everyone else can sod off.

I had the similarly prepped trout (w/ haricot vert and almonds?) during a Spring dinner at Bouchon. It was rather simple, and trouty, and good. The cod brandade, OTOH, was a clumpy, dried, overfried, overbreaded balls of disappointment. Iunno. Bouchon has never failed us, but I never, ever, ever go on occasions and weekends.

Wish someone'd recommended something AWESOME for your brunch, like Tasting Kitchen, or Goldie's, or Farmshop, or MB Post, or The New AOC . But no one did. We brunch hard in LA, but some folks are pickier than others.
Did not have a chance to get Ramen or a special coffee from Miss Cutie (sorry sinosoul)
pussy. :lol: that's why you didn't think LA is awesome. SF doesn't have $5 coffee and (O) (O) .
Dapuma

6 years ago

Yes the trout was prepared with haricot vert and almonds and it was blandish - We had always gone on Sunday's and had a good experience this one seems like a one off

good to know about those other places next time for brunch

sinosoul that cup of coffee could have pushed the balance back toward LA :mrgreen:

We liked SF better because it was easier to get around to everything (we walked most places or took short cab rides) versus the forever cab rides and car rides in LA - the proximiety of everything was the appeal on top of the great drinks and food etc
Tallen234

6 years ago

Hi All,

I am going to the Breeders Cup in November and staying at the Ritz Los Angeles (downtown). I have very little familiarity with the LA food scene and not sure about the practicality of making a long drive after the races for dinner. So, I am looking for something relatively close that will cater to a variety of palates. Nothing too adventurous due to a certain person in the group who shall remain nameless.

Baco Mercat is relatively close to the hotel. WP24 is in hotel, but I am leery of the Puck. Maybe a steakhouse? Jar? Cut?

Any advice would be appreciated. (Sorry for the relatively open ended question).