LA

Traveling and dining in other Arizona cities and beyond
Skillet Doux

5 years ago

Nice report, Tim!
Tim H wrote:I tried XLB at three places in Vancouver in October, and all of them were just slightly better than this one.
This is pretty much exactly how I feel about DTF these days. Like you say, the precision is there. And they're really good. But they just seem slightly... lacking when compared to other great places.

Incidentally, next time you're in SGV, ditch Gold and tap sinosoul for recs. I did just claim that he knows more about SGV than JG, and I meant it.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
Tim H

5 years ago

We'd like to return to SGV early next year, so I'd love to hear sinosoul's recommendations. We meant to spend an afternoon in Thai Town as well but didn't get around to it this time.
There is nothing either good or bad but gravy makes it so. - Kevin Hearne
sinosoul

5 years ago

Tim H wrote:My wife and I visited the Huntington Gardens over the weekend and ate at several restaurants in San Gabriel Valley we found via Jonathan Gold and the usual websites.

Sea Harbour Seafood Restaurant
This dim sum place makes you realize how sadly perfunctory our local joints are. No trolleys, just tick the boxes and your dim sum comes out steaming hot. These are just a few of the several we tried.
IMG_8800.JPG
The xiao long bao were the only (minor) disappointment. They placed them in tin cups, which seemed to indicate a disturbing lack of faith in their integrity, and indeed one of the four was leaking. Also, they weren't as pretty or tasty as the XLB at Din Tai Fung. But still good.
I had the misfortune of trying Sea Harbour's XLB earlier this year during a XLB round-up piece for Eater.com that never made it to the editor's desk. (I should really get back on the saddle and finish that up). Out of all the dim sum houses in SGV, King Hua's XLB, also served in alumi pastry cup, was the only edible rendition. Don't get me wrong, Sea Harbour is still one of the best dimsum experiences in this neighborhood, but that soup dumpling was just piss.

Hope you can make it back here ASAP!
BarbaraToombs

5 years ago

Sigh. Okay, I just read through this whole thread in hopes of noting down some good, reasonably priced places to eat in LA when hubby and I head there in early May for our anniversary ("music history" sojourn to the Troubadour and God knows where else). Staying on Sunset Blvd in West Hollywood/Bev Hills area, and would love to hit up some places that are within a reasonable distance, but not knowing LA geography very well, a lot of what is in these posts was lost to me. Any help?
LaPan

5 years ago

LA classics: (reasonable) Tommy's Burgers, Pinks Hot Dogs, Apple Pan, the Pantry (24hours), EL TEPEYAC on Evergreen in East LA (if you like tacos atoyac, you'd be going to their gastronomical ancestral home), Cantors Deli (especially the late night crowd) for a start. If you want good real Korean BBQ let me know and I'll get you something great.
sourcetags8codes

5 years ago

Sinosoul, I currently planning a San Fran/ La trip this summer on a voyage home. You know L.A. quite well it seems from your Instagram and such. What are you ten must go places in L.A. ?

If anyone had anymore places to add I'm all for it. The list currently goes as is

Bestia
Orsa and Winston
Chi speccia
Squirl
Rustic canyon wine bar
Fishing with dynamite
A frame

If anyone has any must places to go, please share!
fatduck

5 years ago

Anyone been to GR at the London West Hollywood? I'll be staying in the area for a few days and thought about giving it a shot. I've been to a couple of GR restaurants a few years back (Maze, Verre) and had some truly excellent meals but that was some time ago (before true mega-stardom hit). I'm keen to hear if anyone has eaten here recently and can share their experiences.

Thanks,
Chris
sinosoul

5 years ago

to: "BarbaraToombs"
Sorry I dropped the ball. blame Skillet for not dropping in on this thread ;) hope WeHo was AMAZEBALLS. I love "Gorge" in the neighborhood, as well as brunching at Eveleigh. Gracias Madre for patio "organic" margies, Burger Lounge/Rounds premium for grass-fed burgers. None are affordable (cept for the burgers), of course. cuz, "WeHo".
sourcetags8codes wrote:Sinosoul, I currently planning a San Fran/ La trip this summer on a voyage home. You know L.A. quite well it seems from your Instagram and such. What are you ten must go places in L.A. ?

If anyone had anymore places to add I'm all for it. The list currently goes as is

Bestia
Orsa and Winston
Chi speccia
Squirl
Rustic canyon wine bar
Fishing with dynamite
A frame

If anyone has any must places to go, please share!
Thanks for peeping my IG.

Bestia is the new "hot" Italian nose-to-tail joint being operated by an Israeli chef and an ex-musician wife-turned-pastry-goddess. I crush on her so hard. Food was hit-miss for me the few times I've been, but it's just SO popular, and when they get things right (not the pizza, ever), the pastas can be so good.

I will not eat at any place run by Centeno after repeatedly wronged at his other 2 places. Orsa and Winston is out for me.

Chi Spacca: I haven't been. I want to, but I'm at that age where gout is a concern. :lol:

Love the team at Sqirl, but do not love $6 toast. Still, you have to go, because the place is so full of heart, and because Koslow used to be a winning ice skater. Just don't do it on a weekend, or else you will HATE every hipster and her Prius/Linus bicycle.

Vegetables are the highlight at the current rendition Rustic Canyon. Ubuntu for LA at half the cost. If they offer you the burger, SKIP IT. BLEH.

NE Seafood revival at Fishing with dynamite/MB Post is great, but perhaps do Connie&Ted instead because uhmm... driving to Southbay makes my head hurt.

A-Frame: I refuse to touch that. Don't have a counter offer for that choice, but ...

I'd add Republique. It is the French equiv of Bestia at the moment. On fire, can literally do no wrong. And also Superba Food&Bread or Superba Snack because Venice is so trendy right now, and if you like Sqirl, you'll love Superba Food & Bread.

I don't eat at any of these places regularly (you know, cuz college fund), but I enjoy the ilks of Factory Kitchen, Maccheroni Republic quiet a bit. Neither are out-of-town visit worthy, but they're really enjoyable.

Also, I don't see any Asian food on the list. That makes me sad. Perhaps take a gander at this list for the SGV?
sinosoul

5 years ago

Ya know, I visited couple of years ago, and was really pleasantly surprised. Granted, we only went thru the menu at the "Brit Bar", so the plates resemble the apps menu seen here: http://www.thelondonwesthollywood.com/d ... 010114.pdf

But besides the pointless tuna tartare, it was all tasty and well made. If you're in for the full entrees, you're on your own. :twisted:

If you're in the area, and into high profile chefs, I'd also look at Curtis Stone's Maude in Beverly Hills.
fatduck wrote:Anyone been to GR at the London West Hollywood? I'll be staying in the area for a few days and thought about giving it a shot. I've been to a couple of GR restaurants a few years back (Maze, Verre) and had some truly excellent meals but that was some time ago (before true mega-stardom hit). I'm keen to hear if anyone has eaten here recently and can share their experiences.

Thanks,
Chris
sourcetags8codes

5 years ago

Thank you sinosoul. I do have plenty of asian food planned, jus it's out of my hands from a few friends that are in the industry there. I would never forget that.
chrislee

5 years ago

Sinosoul,

We’ve already been talking & I’ve gotten some great feedback from you. Wading through PFN, blog posts, lists, twitter, instagram, etc., I was wondering if I could get some clarification.

As far as context, we have 3 kids (10, 7, 3) & will be in LA/OC for 7 days. Looking for great ethnic and other spots of value. Nothing super spendy or fancy. Love divey & casual. Kids eat anything and can pretty much go anywhere but casual is just less work.

Staying on Old Town Pasadena (booked on points before got your suggestion) for 2 days as a jumping off point to LA, SGV, etc. We’ve never explored SGV and I’m not sure if staying there with that in mind was a good idea now. Looking at the Eater SGV list, it starts off with rotisserie chicken & spaghetti?? Is there still great Asian food there or are its best days over?

We do love DTF, Sea Harbor & really enjoyed Jitlada. Huge fan of LOS and Raku in LV.

Looking to spend our meals on things that are weak/non-existent in AZ (Thai, dim sum, ramen, XLB, etc.) but open to anything great that would be a good fit.

Thinking we’ll probably get the chance to do 1 of each category.

Thai
Lacha Somtum right?
-Pailin
-Darabar Secret Thai
-Jitlada

XLB - not sure on order but guessing?
P.P. Pop
Shanghai Dumpling House
Fortune No. 1
Shanghailander Palace
Shanghai No. 1 Seafood Village
DTF

Dim Sum
Sea Harbor

Sushi (maybe will skip altogether)
Nozomi (maybe?)
Sugarfish

Ramen
Tsujita?
-Men Oh Tokushima Ramen
-Jidaiya

Korean
Kang Ho Dong Baekjeong?
-Park’s Barbecue

Vietnamese
Golden Deli?

Other Possibles
Sqirl
Wurstkuche
Grand Central Market

Then we head down to Costa Mesa & Westminster for the rest of our time.

As I used to live in HB, thinking to hit many of the old haunts - Santouka, Kappo Honda, CA Shabu Shabu, Mo Ran Gak, Sea Food Paradise, Sushi Shibucho though haven’t been to all of them in a good while.

Always happy to hear other recs if you've got any favorites in Costa Mesa, Newport, HB, Westminster or surrounding!
sinosoul

5 years ago

all of that sounds great Chris,

save for Golden Deli. I don't touch that trifling shit. Tons of better (more fun, homely, interesting, regional) Vietnamese in the neighborhood. I like Thien An for 7-course beef, Kim Hoa Hue for Hue food, etc.

Jitlada is great, but I'd cringe having to make a 3-YO sit through that sick sick wait. Darabar isn't really good for kids. Kang Ho Dang will have an immense wait as well. Stick to Park's. (or Genwa!)

wurstkuche is the biggest waste of time ever. It's just sausages made elsewhere, trucked in. HOWEVER! There's plenty of space for kids to run around, and they have good fries, and there are tons of beer while you drunk-babysit. So... Ennnh.. If you have to. SQIRL's space is still tiny. Tough call. go to somewhere where family is loved and welcome for brunch: Sycamore Kitchen comes immediately to my mind. Just a gorgeous space, fantastic pastries, quick, lots of space during weekdays.

Kappo and Santouka are still great, but there are a few new OC ramen joints (though I can't even begin to pretend to follow) and Anaheim has a new "packing district" that has tons of gourmet foods. Also, watch underage drinking (with korean bar food) at Gol Mok KIl.... yah... don't bring the wive. SD knows how that goes in that neighborhod.

[edit: not sure why I typed VIP, that's the underage K-bar in the East Bay]
Last edited by sinosoul 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Skillet Doux

5 years ago

sinosoul wrote:Also, watch underage drinking (with korean bar food) at VIP.... yah... don't bring the wive. SD knows how that goes in that neighborhod.
Dude... you're going to get me into trouble, and I haven't even DONE anything! :-)
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
sinosoul

5 years ago

In hind sight: i was under the impression all the Missuses don't bother reading geeky shit like food forums. And that it is impossible to get sued for sexual harassment by operating a web board.

ALSO! Muy importante!!! Cafe Lu (boob cafe) has opened a full-service restaurant/lounge. Think of it like an Asian Hooters, but with grilled seafood, spicy crawdads and such. "Honey: I'm just going to go check out this (exotic) seafood 'restaurant' down the block"; it's only 15 min away from Disneyland.

I'm volunteering to be your free alibi providing there is free beer.
chrislee

5 years ago

Quick update with more detail to come. Recs have been fabulous.

1st night in, hit P.P. Pop for XLB & more. Kids would have melted with a DTF wait so at least we got XLB (not DTF XLB but XLB nonetheless - lots of soup). Then hit Ladybug Tea house for boba. Really good.

Yesterday we did Intelligentsia, Tsujita (man there is lots of cool looking stuff in that neighborhood), Go Get Em Tiger (Glanville & Babinski spot) for awesome coffee, Cafe Gratitude (vegan spot for sweets for the dairy allergic kids) and Lacha Somtum (great Thai & worked perfect with the family).

We are close to Sea Harbor but as always happens, time just seems to vanish when you're wrangling kids. May miss that. May miss DTF. :( Skipping LA sushi and may just have to pass on LA Korean but at least we have Mo Ran Gak which the family loves in OC.

We'll see what we hit on the way down to OC today but our remaining list is just too big: Bronzed Aussie (aussie pie shop), Handsome Coffee Roasters, El Coraloense, Sea Harbor, Sqirl, Grand Central Market.

Just wish time didn't seem to go so fast!
DMancini

3 years ago

This is more a bump and a request than anything else. Gonna be in Venice for a few days and am looking for oh my god kind of persian food. Any thoughts?