What are your favorite joints in SF? (and nearby environs)

Traveling and dining in other Arizona cities and beyond
sourcetags8codes

7 years ago

I went to sf mainly to see what Italian food is out there.

Got to sit at the bar once also at pizzeria delfina that is next to the regular delfina. Personally i've always enjoyed their pizzA. The crust has a great chew and the toppings are great.

I've made so many of these is my life. Its pretty much over cooked risotto. The street vendors in sicily would sell these. These were spiked with saffron, pecorino, and chili. Not too firm but not too runny and the right amount of saffron

I thought i should order some vegetables during this trip so I ordered corn, go figure. Simply roasted in the husk, dressed in calabrian chili butter, black pepper, and roasted chilies.

pizza amatricana style (roman pasta sauce generally made with tomato, onions, guanicale, finished with pecorino) It was really good

Got to have this on a different trip. Pizza with leeks, guanicale, peppers, and ultra fresh heavy cream. Really big surprise. Little shocked but man was it good.

Fried sanddabs, lemon aioli. Light fish, mayo, fried. i couldn't be happier

clams, tomato, chili oil, potato, toasted bread. i'm a sucker for food like this. Still great though, Using the clam juice with fresh tomatoes, herbs, and chili oil.

After lunch, next store is tartine bakery where pastries of all types are there but its really about the bread. Fresh out of th eover at five in the evening, slabbed with butter, or if your lucky, garlic and rubbed tomato.

There is also bi-rite market which offers some of the cities best sandwiches served quick, breads from all the local bakeries, coffee, cheese, great butcher in house, and fresh fish, as well as pre made to go items.

As great as it it bi-rite has an ice cream shop named bi-rite creamery

Made with strauss milk, its the best ice cream i think in sf. Better than smitten, humphrey slocombe, and mr and mrs miscellaneous.

Delfina's mothership restaurant is open for dinner only and is catered more towards northern italian where the pizzeria is more southern italy.

I sadly didnt get a picture of the dish but the cured white anchovies were my favorite. Soaked in white wine vinegar for hours, and then into a salt suagar brine. Everyone in the restaurant must have had a plate of these on their table.

A selection of bread and toppings (in latence terms, bruschetta)
Veal with tonnato, anchovies with grilled romaine, roasted tomato spanish style. I generally wouldnt order this but the toppings were great but the bread but just saturated in oil.

Sweet corn sformatino. Corn flan almost served with tomato water, sun golds, fried squash blossoms, and rosemary. Light, creamy and went well together.

The lighting didn't help my terrible camera. Last dish was rabbit with pappardelle. The rabbit got completely lost in this dish for me. Rabbit is such a subtle flavor. I could tell the when they were cooking the pasta they were having issues with the consistency of the sauce.

Pizzeria Delfina
3611 18th Street
San Fransisco, CA 94110

Tartine Bakery
600 Guerrero Street San Francisco, CA 94110

Bi-Rite Market
550 Divisadero St.
San Francisco, CA 94117

Bi-Rite Creamery
550 Divisadero St.
San Francisco, CA 94117

Delfina
3621 18th Street
San Fransisco, CA 94110
sourcetags8codes

7 years ago

The way mission chinese operates now is a lot more logical that how is started. They made late night food and then started to do different themes such ass mexican, noma, guest chefs, and different parts of china. Now its Cantonese with western ingredients. The lamb ribs found at miu's spiked with chilies, peppercorns is done with chicken wings at mcf. The food there is a steal really.
I would love is Arizona got more mackerel or any fish to cure. Its sadly neglected. Noca was really the place to be very close to it. I'm not saying you can't find fresh fish in arizona, it just sometimes its very difficult to find fish that is prepared at a chain, or an asian restaurant
BarbaraToombs

7 years ago

sourcetags8codes wrote:Visiting a city for no other reason than to eat is a okay in my book.
OMG...so how I feel!! GREAT write-ups, sourcetags...want to go back to San Fran SO bad now, armed with new knowledge! :)
sourcetags8codes

7 years ago

Stopped briefly at the ferry building for a light snack

Meat case at baccolone. You can find some much delicious meat, served at room temp, and next to a cheese, bread, and wine shop, You can't really go wrong

The slanted door is one of the most iconic restaurants in sf that rank up there with zuni, the now closed rubicon, and masa. Serving modern vietnamese food on the waterfront

Green papaya salad, mint, rice wine vinaigrette. Not bad but it didnt do it for me like the other versions that ive had

Halibut ceveiche, peanuts, plantain chips. Great flavor but just a touch too much vinegar

Egg crepe, beef, shrip, chicken, mint, peanut chili sauce, lettuce. Greta texture and flavor along with everything added

On the way the next stop, calling in a favor from a friend I met at state bird, i landed myself driving to the marina district eating at A16. Let me say that I was fucking excited from knowing who gave me this reservation (more on that later) and what I saw in front of me when I sat down.

Panzanella sald, charred breans, tomatoes. It was great. Tomatoes were a little grainy but still great tasting and the bread was just right, soaked up enough liquid, still crunchy but not too much.

I could go on and on about this from the great pizza debate but I will not. Great mushrooms, perfect cheese, and then served with a healthy amount of chili oil.

Pork belly with apricot mostarda. Great crunch and awesome mustard flavor.

Spaghetti aglio with bottarga. This was a disppoinent considering it wasnt emulsified correctly. Theres the pool of oil on the bottom sadly

Squid Ink Macchrona with uni, tomato, and bread crumbs. I don't mean to nickpick and consdering This meal was practically free, It was still a great pasta but the tomato over powered the uni. I can see the japenese influenced noodles here. Awhile ago during the nate appleman era they opened a location in japan.

I dont't remeber the shape but the sauce is ragu napletano. A mother would serve this on sunday in naples but cooking meat in tomato sauce till it falls apart. She would ten use the sauce for the pasta and serve it first, and afterwards she would serve the braised meat with a bitter green called tricole

Anyways the meat flavor was there and the addition of creamy pecorino was awesome.

Lastly desseet. Hazlenut chocolate cookies and fennel gelato were great dunked into each other. The chocolate budino though with chocolate tart shell, sea salt, and olive oil is in my top five desserts of my life.

Needing more sugar we ran down to the now closed citizen cake. Two small desserts,

Lemon tart

Smores brownie

A16
2355 Chestnut Street San Francisco, California 94123

Slanted Door
1 Ferry Building, San Francisco, CA 94111
sourcetags8codes

7 years ago

Dinner time again traveling. While eating dinner at state bird, Shelly lindberg was at the table next to us an apparently a work colleague made plans for us to meet the next day but instead we ran into each other by mistrake. I am forever thankful for that considering it got us a few great places (a16, helped me get to work at state bird, spqr, and currently this next place) Commonwealth

If you ever ask josh from posh, he will tell you that it was the first meal that he's been served thats not farm to table, or italian. Theres a brief story in the mission chinese food book about this place and what jason fox does for this place. To the unknowing, its a tiny restaurant located next to mcf, decorated with a disco ball, tiny white room, and a stunning 65 dollar 6 course tasting menu. yeah.....GO!!!!!!

Chips and dip.. Potato fried with seaweed, togarashi, and malt vinegar air

Corn pudding, fried okra, basil seeds, goat cheese. The okra was the only thing that didnt do it for me. The rest of it blended nicely

Geoduck, pickled white strawberry, cucumber granita, horseradish. Shocker of a dish. light, bright, sweet, and tame for what was in it.

Smoked anchovy, fennel, berry kimchi, avocado ice cream. Ummmmmmm what? creamy ice cream, salty cured fish, and fruit treated like kimchee, how the hell did they make this work. Flavors of anise, tart, salt, and creamy sweet.

Shaved squash, mint, pursalane, pine nut tuile. Shaved forest salad that gets dressed in pine nut when you break the tuile. I was happy to see something like this.

Crispy Rabbit Rillette, miso mustard. Loved this dish

Uni, soft boiled quail egg, pickled wasabi, rice cracker. Great dish, rich uni, crunchy crackers, spicy pickle, and sauce from the egg.

Brandade stuffed squash blossom, artichoke cream, esplettle pepper. Squash blossom anything and I'm happy along with salt cod also.

Small snack of almond crunch, and ganache square.

Avocado macaroon with grains of paradise. Best text of the macaroon that i've ever had.

Quick snack before dinner. Theres a tiny outpost of the coffe roaster ritual along with blue bottle's main shop on the edge of the mission district. There is also an ice cream place that makes ice cream to order called smitten. Usaully about 7 flavors a day with an array of toppings

Corn ice cream, blueberry, graham crumbles. Really good considering made with in thirty seconds.

Another reservation that Shelly got me was spqr. Spqr started as a roman restaurant but now the direction is more of the trade routes from rome to spain. I went right before the book was released. Again I was excited from where I was sitting.

Albacore, avocado, olive oil, agrumato. Such a beautiful fish yet the avocado covered up the fish.

Sliced pigs head, fried pigs ear salad, tomato agrodolce (sweet and sour). Man beautiful cured and sliced head, and the best pigs ears i've ever had.

Mustard cappelinni, guinea hen ragu. i'm not the biggest fan of angel hair but it was done right. Best pasta of the night

Corn angolotti, bacon, and parm. Simple and delicious

Smoke fettucini, guanicale, uni, quail egg. I love carbonara and adding uni just makes it better

carrot salad, puree, raw, cooked, lentills, falalfel cake. The textures of this and let alone the carrots was good....

Cocoa cappellacci, favas, butter, parm. Light bean ragu, bitter from the pasta.

Duck Mezzalene, foie, cherries. Classico combo wrapped in the pasta.

Chicken cannelloni, goat, rosemary, tomato. Very light pasta texture, I usually dislike chicken in pasta, but this worked for me.

Chocolate cake, with caramel, and i couldn't find my notes. Delicioud

Semolina cake, corn ice cream, berries, and flowers. By the this dish hit, i was in a coma

Marshmallow, and chocolate. Light airy marshmallow, and rich chocolate

Great meal

Commonwealth
2224 Mission St San Francisco, CA 94110

432 Octavia St. #1a
(corner of Octavia St. & Linden St., Hayes Valley)
San Francisco, CA 94102

SPQR
1911 Fillmore St
San Francisco, California 94115
Last edited by sourcetags8codes 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
sourcetags8codes

7 years ago

A lot of buzz about flour and water, in the first year open it was a finalist for best new restaurant and rising star.

I've been there about three times and i've had great dishes and some that were okay.

Pizza, olives, sausage, marinara. The toppings were great but i didnt care for the crust too much

Squid ink chittara, sun golds, braised calamari. That was a killer pasta. I love braised calamari. adding sun golds made it better.

Fried pigs trotter, shaved squash, celery leaves. The trotter was awesome but the squash salad didn't do anything for me

Cured Duck, shaved bread, apricot mostarda. This was a great started, right size yet everything made sense

cappellacci di brigante, bacon, spigarello - delicious, simple, yet comforting

Cocoa cavatelli, lambs offal, squash. Best texture of this shape that i have ever had and with the cheek/offal flavor, it was great

Saffron stringozi, clams, tomato. Briny clams, tomatoes, but too much vinegar in this pasta.

Rabbit ravolini. Every pasta here is finish with butter, vinegar, and cheese. It just blew the rabbit flavor away and killed the dish

Salumi fattisu. This was the best pasta i've ever had. Salumi mousse, chilie, cheese, and butter

i went down the street to slaumeria which is flour and water's sister restaurant along with central kitchen

Fried chicken, challah, corn basil jelly, shaved squash. Sooo good. Rivals son of a gun's chicken sandwich

Ruben. It was good, but i though it was a touch under seasoned

I went to central kitchen but I just wasn't happy with the meal. Five cooks plating one dish with tweezers for it to arrive cold is not what I wanted. I had more misses than hits but I will say brunch is good.

Making my way over to bar tartine, I love this place and am always excited to go back and see what they have in store

Duck liver mousse, lincoln berries, beer aspic, rye nut bread. Smooth, rich and slighty sweet

If theres one dish that is a must here, its the langos. Fried potato bread topped with sour cream, and dill. I could eat loads of this

Charred tripe, chilie, paprika, cabbage - Hungarian meet mexican style. Tripe that is also cooked right

Beef tendons, onion sauce, chinese broccoli. Like a cheap panda express entree but worlds better

I must also mention I ate at Quince and enjoyed a six course dinner there. I didn't take pictures because it was too dark but i did get a picture of the cheese cart. I love this. !9 different cheeses along with two mostardas and honeycomb

Flour + Water
2401 Harrison St
San Francisco CA, 94110

Salumeria
3000 20th St San Francisco, CA 94110

Bar Tartine
561 Valencia Street San Francisco California 94110
Skillet Doux

7 years ago

This is epic.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
BarbaraToombs

7 years ago

Skillet Doux and sourcetags8codes should collaborate on a book: How We Ate Our Way Through San Francisco.

Dibs on being the editor on that one! :)
BillBuitenhuys

7 years ago

Whoa...amazing stuff.
sourcetags8codes

7 years ago

*EDIT* I changed the geoduck picture to what it should have been in the common wealth post.

Theres a lot of places I still need to look. Sometimes you get lucky and find a place thats pretty big. About early jun last year, I went to sf and ate at a place called State Bird Provisions. Stuart Brioza and his wife Nicole run this tiny seater restaurant that has a service like dim sum yet its food is very global. Stuart won food and wine best new chef many years ago while working in michigan, and then move to san fran to work at rubicon which was drew newpointe's west coast restaurant (owner of nobu, corton,) The first time that i went, I was fucking blown away. I was stunned, I came back to az and told everyone look out for that place. Soon enough, I was begging my way to get into that place to work just to see what makes them so special. A week before i, bon appetite named them best new restaurant. That was pretty crazy considering james beard now has them as a finalist for best new restaurant. Without a doubt the hottest restaurant on the west. I worked one night, and came back for dinner the next night. Odd considering the night i worked, they were willing to feed me anything and I turned it down in order to go through everything. I was joined by citizenfritz and his fiance and we went along.

Note, the darker photos are from the first time I went while the lighter photos are from the second time

They roll around a cart with snacks that come by here and there. Also cooks are required to pass a small tray of food around to diners during service

Branzino, potato salad, tomato, bean. pure french and delicious

albacore, quinoa, cruncy fried quinoa, bonito flake aioli

Dry farm tomato salsa, calamari, mussel, clam salad, avocado. This was unforgettable. sweet, spicy, and briny from the seafood

Green beans, egg, bottarga, lemon vin. Simple yet the creamy egg done with pickled green beans went well together

Duck liver mousse, almond bread. Light slight sweet baked every twenty minutes with creamy duck mousse

Glazed beets, yogurt, black pepper. The beets are glazed in a reduction for juiced fruit and served with yogurt they make.

Guinea hen ravioli with a mushroom scented chicken broth. We ate about 5 of these each

Beef tartare, shisto peppers, beef fat togarashi aioli. mhmmmm

Fried eggplant, garlic chips, basil, smeared tomato. Almost like eggplant fries. Delicious

This dish made me happy and angry at the same time. Its burrata topped with pepper, parm, and top of fried green garlic dough. Loved it but i always made this for myself and staff after the day was over. i didn't even think to sell it.

Tonnato, lardo, bread, tuna. Savory bomb.

guanicale, tomato, 63 eggs, bread crumbs. Almost a play on a pasta with out the noodles

Pork belly and kimchee stew. Topped with pickled green beans, it was awesome. the kimchee for them is more of a modern take (the restaurant is loacted in the middle of japan town) so it takes a lot of influence from everyone around and this is only fermented for a week.

yuba, fried tofu, calabrian chilie, avocado. I dislike tofu but this changed my mind. Yuba btw is the skin that forms on top of the process making tofu

"Local Boccoranes" sesame sourdough pancake, sour cream, radish, salmon rough.

I got to make this all night (which means i got to eat them all night) I was stunned when i was prepping the fish for it. the fish comes on ice still moving. yeah........ The fish is taken, head chooped out(used for curry base for staff meal), scaled, and then marinated in a salt sugar spice mixture for a day and then deboned and served. man was it awesome.

Corn pancakes, mt. tam cheese (cowgirl creamry), corn puree, chives) I must have made about a hundred of these and I can see why. sweet raw corn in the batter, charred corn puree, and then that buttery mt tam cheese.

This dish is why state bird was created. Deep fried quail (state bird of california) buttermilk brined, fried, and served with lemon braised onions. I could eat this all day

Smoked salmon, raw corn, tomato. Simple and pure

'
Braised ribs, togarashi, greens. Tender meat, and then the greens are spiked with the braising liquid

Red trout, hazlenuts, fish sauce brown butter, cilantro. Yeah......

Braised oxtail, bok choy, french crepe, braising liquid. peach. Delicious...

Cast Iron panzanella, tomato, guanicale, peppers.

cheesecake, strawberries, sun gold caramel, smoked whipped cream.

world peace milk, spiked with muscovado simpe syrup

Tapioca, melon frozen shaved melon, warm figs, almond. The flavor reminded me of a very clean japenese style rice milk

Chocolate rice crunch, chocolate shake with passion fruit puree.

Ice Cream sandwiches, hazlenuts, orange. how could you not enjoy this.

Actual size of the ice cream sandwiches. I was stunned after the meal. A few drinks later and smugglers cove and boourbon and branch, we were ready for breakfast.

Outerlands is a place thats in the middle of no where yet the food is something that attracts all the industry folks.

simple peach jam, salty butter, and fantastic bread

You could also do well with the ham, cheese, bread, and mustard salad for breakfast.

State Bird Provisions
1529 Fillmore Street San Francisco CA 94115

Outerlands
4001 Judah St, San Francisco 94122
sourcetags8codes

7 years ago

I have more to upload, it's just a matter of finding time
tracik

7 years ago

I know I'm seriously late to this thread, but I have to add my favorite breakfast place in SF to the list. There is a tiny little place around the corner from the Hilton Fisherman's Wharf called Pat's Cafe (patscafe.com‎). I don't get to SF very often, but when I do this place is on my must visit list. The last time we were there, my husband had the egg burrito. This thing had everything but the kitchen sink in it and could have fed two. The black beans I thought were a great addition, but my husband was happiest about the chorizo. I tried the pancakes, which were ginormous and very fluffy. Their mimosas and pomosas were a nice addition to our morning. :)
"I cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food." WC Fields
davegorton54

5 years ago

I had a business trip up to Silicon Valley last week and found a chance to tie in a meeting in San Francisco. My best work was done post-meeting as I found an excellent lunch at Trou Normand. The restaurant was opened in January by the team behind Bar Agricole and has an awesome charcuterie program in place (I have no way of verifying this, but the bartender claimed that they are the only restaurant in the Bay Area that has a license to bring in whole animals and break them down on site).

Given the menu options, I chose to start with the Rabbit Pate:
022.JPG
022.JPG (111.49 KiB) Viewed 7856 times
A really nice, mild pate with stunning texture. I think there was a touch of sweet pepper, carrot, and sage (?) running throughout. As an aside, the only thing they don't make in house is the bread. It's brought in from a friend's bakery and would be impossible to improve upon.

I followed the pate with the Meatball Sandwich:
023.JPG
023.JPG (91.92 KiB) Viewed 7856 times
My goodness. Extremely tender meatballs and a lemon aioli on the gorgeous bread. Easily the best meatball sandwich I have ever had (maybe the best sandwich, period). I was told that it rotates on and off the menu based on the cuts available in their butcher shop. If it is on the menu, you must get it.

I took a stroll down to the Ferry Building for dessert at the recently opened Humphry Slocombe:
025.JPG
025.JPG (78.6 KiB) Viewed 7856 times
I chose to have their breakfast offerings for dessert. A scoop of Secret Breakfast (Corn Flakes and Bourbon) and a scoop of Vietnamese Coffee. I took this up to the top deck outside and watched the boats come in. This was an outstanding way to pass my lunch hour before heading back to San Jose.

Trou Normand
http://trounormandsf.com/
140 New Montgomery
San Francisco, CA

Humphry Slocombe
http://www.humphryslocombe.com/l
Ferry Building Marketplace Shop #8
meleyna

5 years ago

Hmm... Just wrote up pretty lengthy post, opened up new tab to look something up, and my post disappeared. (I'm on iPad.)

So, what was a long story is now shorter. (Probably a good thing.)

Long weekend with husband. Two nights, basically three full days. Tentative plans, but definitely open to suggestion. I haven't been in ten years. Not renting car. I know public transport is good, but not sure how far is too far/inconvenient to go by bus or whatever.

Saturday:
Arrive SFO at 9 AM.
Drop bags at hotel (near Union Square), head to Ferry Plaza. Roli roti and everything else I can get my hands on. How long should we expect to be here?Dinner I am between State Bird and SPQR. I really, really want to do SB, but am unsure if there will be anything my husband will eat. (He doesn't eat seafood, mushrooms, or eggs as a component). Obviously SPQR isn't a bad backup, but SB just looks like such a fun experience.

Sunday:
Brenda 's French Soul Food looks solid for breakfast, then swing by Saigon Sandwiches for sandwiches to pack for Alcatraz/Angel Island tour. Was originally planning Zuni for dinner, but haven't seen much chatter anywhere. I assume because it's nothing new? Also debating Rich Table or Nopa.

Monday:
Pastries somewhere... Flour + Co? Second breakfast for me at Good Mong Kok. Poke around Chinatown for a while. Lunch at Trou Normand, maybe? Dinner, something quick and casual near hotel. The hotel will hold our bags until we head to airport (flight's at 9), I don't want to have to travel back and forth at the end of the day to have to pick them up!
meleyna

5 years ago

Decided that if we could get reservation at State Bird we'd do that Saturday. If not, we'd go to SPQR.

Managed to snag a reservation. I sat at the computer 60 days prior to reservation date, OpenTable page open filled in with all the appropriate info. Watched the seconds count down to midnight, clicked through. Three slots open. Clicked 8 PM. Filled out the Captcha, waited for page to load. Crap! No longer available. Back page. Only 9:30 left. Panic as the page loads, waiting to see the results. Success! Man, that was a stressful 25 seconds.

Dinner is later than I'd like, but oh well. I didn't really want to have to deal with waiting in line prior to putting our names down, then waiting again for a table. Planning on poking around Japantown prior, maybe even grab an antipasto at the bar at SPQR when they open.

I think I decided on Zuni for Sunday night. Something a little more straight forward after State Bird.
davegorton54

5 years ago

My wife and I just returned to Phoenix from a PCH road trip that included an overnight in San Francisco. We made a return trip to Trou Normand. On this trip we had the Pork Pate with Apples and Calvados, the Duck Salami, the Brussels Sprouts, and some cheese. The charcuterie is silly good and the Brussels came with their housemade Guanciale and almonds.

In an interesting twist, the prices on their menu now include service so what you see is what you pay. There is no option for tipping which may have influenced our totally indifferent server. Mediocre service aside, everything was fantastic. I could do some real damage here if I lived closer.

Unrelated to Trou Normand, I would strongly endorse the selection of Zuni Cafe. I went during a trip to the city in December and everything was flawless. The roast chicken and Caesar salad are perfect. Menus like this shouldn't change (and it hasn't) when they are this damn good.
Dapuma

5 years ago

Headed back to SF in July for the Man Utd Barca game

If I dont get Saison, what is a second runner up

Crenn /Coi / SPQR / State Bird / ? What else should I consider
Lunchbox

5 years ago

Have a last minute work trip planned in three weeks... Mrs. Lunchbox is spending the weekend there with me beforehand... We have 3 days... Any suggestions? Am I too late in booking some stuff?
-- LBX

Instagram: @zachary.garcia

Twitter: @zach_garcia
Lunchbox

5 years ago

Here's our plans: Friday: 6:15 Hog and Rocks for Ham tasting and drinks. 9:15 at Wayfare Tavern for dinner (Mrs. Lunchbox is a TFlo fan.) Saturday lunch at the Ferry Building. Dinner at Cockscomb. Sunday: Brunch with the Meleynas. Probably at Plow. Sunday Dinner at 5:30 - SPQR. CAN'T FAQQING WAIT!
-- LBX

Instagram: @zachary.garcia

Twitter: @zach_garcia
meleyna

5 years ago

Lunchbox wrote:Saturday lunch at the Ferry Building.
We will also be there. :mrgreen: