What are your favorite joints in SF? (and nearby environs)

Traveling and dining in other Arizona cities and beyond
sourcetags8codes

7 years ago

Dom I'm sorry. The last time I was there, I enjoyed the food with a bunch of friends. You know if you want a no frills, try sams burgers. It's a guilty pleasure for me everytime I I to San Fran. It's quite amazing because a few cooks from state bird took me there about two in the morning after service. Lets just say I owe you one then Dom. I am glad you enjoyed nopa.

For anyone else reading this, my visit to central kitchen was alright. Flour and water for me is much better.
sourcetags8codes

7 years ago

I also should have warned you before and about the late night dives. It's a little worse then a dive. The grubstake diner is open till four though
Skillet Doux

7 years ago

Oh, gosh, that's not what I meant... If you're looking for a late night burrito dive, I can imagine none more suited to the task. I was just trying to convey the degree to which I was destroyed by a burrito the size of my thigh and the weight of my three-year-old. I was joking around and giving you a hard time, and apparently failing miserably at it :-)

'Sides which, even if I weren't, I'd totally forgive you:
samsinterior.jpg
Sam's Pizza & Burgers
samsinterior.jpg (84.15 KiB) Viewed 6842 times
samscheeseburger.jpg
Cheeseburger
samscheeseburger.jpg (64.7 KiB) Viewed 6842 times
Yes. Yes, that'll do nicely.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
sourcetags8codes

7 years ago

Awwwww no worries Dom. I misread that wrong. It was a touch late also
sinosoul

7 years ago

Does anyone have any updates on A16 after the whole chef swap/departure fiasco? I loath the F+W wait/table situ, despite how good the pastas are. Eating a first dinner at 10:30 P.M. is not my idea of a good time these days.

It's too bad Scream Sorbet is already closed D, it would've been the perfect stop after Benu in the Eastbay. RIP Scream Team.
Skillet Doux

7 years ago

Ugh, I know, I was just looking for it. But we squeezed into SPQR tonight, so, looking forward to that.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Skillet Doux

7 years ago

azhotdish wrote:
Skillet Doux wrote:The couple of places I'd read about Katana-ya made it out to be an off-the-radar spot
I've been there! Couple of years ago we popped in late after the Fancy Food show - good fish, seemed like a solid local spot - sorry it wasn't up to par.
So you have! Not sure how I missed that above. Could be the fish is awesome! Didn't have any. I'm lukewarm on the ramen, though.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Skillet Doux

7 years ago

Just to try to break this into manageable chunks... day three!
hillstonefrenchdip.jpg
French Dip
hillstonefrenchdip.jpg (74.02 KiB) Viewed 6738 times
In our (failed) attempt to nab Alcatraz tickets, time and location constraints led us to fall into Hillstone on the Embarcadero. It's a Hillstone restaurant, which means it's like every other Hillstone restaurant. But I feel compelled to mention that they make a damn fine French Dip -- beautiful prime rib, succulent beefy jus -- and I was jealous of Dr. Doux's.

Muir Woods is completely stunning, BTW, and only about a 30 minute drive from the heart of the city. Do it.

And that was pretty much the day right up until the main event, which was Benu! I confess that I'm not quite as ecstatic about the place as Dapuma and uhockey are, but that said it was a damn fine meal. Rather than run down all eighteen, here are a few favorites:
benuporkbelly.jpg
Oyster, Pork Belly, Kimchi
benuporkbelly.jpg (43.98 KiB) Viewed 6738 times
I agree, Dapuma, this was one of the highlights -- a refined, one-bite version of Gul Bossam (which can be found off-menu at Ga Hyang, incidentally). More of the kimchi flavor would have rounded it out better, I think, but still, little bite, big flavor.
benupotatosalad.jpg
Potato Salad with Anchovy
benupotatosalad.jpg (51.58 KiB) Viewed 6738 times
And how tasty was this? Again, very traditional flavors, highly refined technique. Those anchovies were delightfully crisp and crunchy.

I agree on the eel, Dapuma. This dish just didn't pop, and perhaps most importantly, didn't bring out the eel.
benuankimo.jpg
Ankimo, Apple, Daikon
benuankimo.jpg (52.03 KiB) Viewed 6738 times
Our ankimo was done with apple and daikon rather than persimmon, and it was completely stunning. And so was the brioche. And they did not belong together. Way too much bread, way too little ankimo. After two bites, I ditched the brioche, ate the ankimo and daikon/apple on its own... then came back to eat the brioche on its own. My enjoyment of both increased tenfold. Cute idea, and it could work, but the brioche/ankimo balance needs to be sorted out.
benuchickenvelvet.jpg
Chicken Velvet
benuchickenvelvet.jpg (42.13 KiB) Viewed 6738 times
Oh, I really enjoyed this one. The chicken "velvet" was essentially a very, very finely ground and seasoned chicken that I'm guessing was whipped and then poached or steamed so that it solidified into a kind of light, semi-firm chickeny cloud -- not dissimilar to, say, the kind of fish balls you might get at a hot pot place, but lighter in texture. And it was backed by a beautiful broth of some kind of moss and chrysanthemum that was clean and simple and beautifully aromatic. NIce dish.

The Xiao Long Bao -- lobster coral, in our case -- were excellent, and the banyuls vinegar was a nice little spin.
benupearbeef.jpg
Beef Braised in Pear, Burdock, Scallion
benupearbeef.jpg (57.06 KiB) Viewed 6738 times
Yes, Dapuma. Yes, yes, yes. Big, bold, outstanding flavor. Total crowdpleaser of a dish, and a welcome one after some of the earlier dishes were kind of... meek. And I particularly enjoyed the texture provided by the Asian pear brunoise.

Yeah, the truffle custard in the faux shark fin soup was pretty intense... but I didn't mind :-)

We had a delicious meal, but I can't say I leave without reservations. I've mentioned favorites above, but this is only about a third of what we ate. There were a number of dishes that were so painfully subtle that -- well, there's subtle, and there's plain old flat, and I think three or four of the dishes were flirting with the latter. My other complaint -- and I've seen it floated elsewhere -- is that many of these dishes are just tiny, pretty versions of traditional dishes. Which is fine. But the Asian equivalent of Binkley's miniature sloppy joe is a little less appealing when you're being charged $12 for it. I'm okay with paying $12 for that bite, but there has to be something more going on than taking a traditional dish and making it small and pretty. To draw the comparison, since Lee's a French Laundry alum, when we had steak with carrots and peas there, it was in a small package, but it was the flavor of steak with carrots and peas taken to a mindblowing extreme. With some dishes (the pork belly and oyster dish), Lee does that. With others... well, I think it's not unreasonable to ask what's being added here other than preciousness. But there were plenty of damn tasty dishes, and I really enjoyed the meal despite some misgivings.

So, y'know, early, precious dinner means greasy late night cheeseburger, and man, did Sam's deliver (pictured five posts back). It's like the SF's answer to Billy Goat's Tavern, except the burgers are better. Ancient register, vintage phone, plastic letter menu board -- it's like the '60s or '70s preserved in amber, with thick grill smoke filling the top two feet of the room. And it's a tasty, no-frills burger. Old, old, old school. Thanks for the rec, sourcetags!

Hillstone
www.hillstone.com
1800 Montgomery Street
San Francisco, CA 94111
415-392-9285

Benu
www.benusf.com
22 Hawthorne Street
San Francisco, CA 94105
415-685-4860

Sam's
618 Broadway
San Francisco, CA 94133
415-391-1539
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
PHXeater

7 years ago

Hillstone's French dip is easily the best one I've had. It's like they put crack in there! Seriously what do they do to it?

The reports on Benu are interesting. I considered going on my SF trip a couple years ago but passed it up. The +1 isn't the biggest fan of subtle flavors and I thought he would find the whole thing a little overwrought and not love the menu. We ended up at La Folie which was the opposite of subtle, and the opposite of small portions.

And I like the Ferry Building too, sometimes it's OK to be a tourist when...you know...you are one ;)
sinosoul

7 years ago

Yet another mixed bag for Benu. Despite the pedigree, Benu is probably one of the last places I want to try in SF. Tweezer cooking for the sake of buying more Japanese tweezers. Not that I've been to either, but between Benu and Manresa, I know I'd rather do Manresa, even if it's neither here nor there as far as actually visiting "SF" goes.

Still, that menu is fascinating, and no one can take that away from Lee.
Dapuma

7 years ago

Did you get the caviar quiche with abalone? That thing was outstanding

I do agree that some of the dishes were ok or flat, but when you are getting 12 -18 different dishes I don't think every one can be mind blowing, and some people will like different things - the highs were pretty amazing

That being said Shinbay did 6 dishes and everyone one was great to amazing (i was mixed about the beef one, but I am not a huge fan of cooking my own meats at a restauarant - personal thing) - nothing fell flat at Shinbay

I thought some dishes etc were a bit flat at Binkley's as well, as well as great, so IMO the success failure rate is about the same there

I do not remember the price difference so I cannot consider that in the conversation
Skillet Doux

7 years ago

Dapuma wrote:Did you get the caviar quiche with abalone? That thing was outstanding
No, the course that I suspect was our analogue to that was a spring dish -- asparagus and peas with shrimp, walnuts, and a shrimp roe mousseline. One of the better ones, actually. I love abalone, though. Would've traded :-)
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Skillet Doux

7 years ago

How did I forget to mention Nopa?!

I went late the night Dr. Doux went down, after I'd already posted, and forgot to come back to it. Man, was this place hopping at midnight on a Wednesday. When it comes to late night, SF certainly has a lot more to offer than Phoenix, but it seems like it's still more of an early-to-bed town for a city of its size, so... yeah, absolutely packed to the rafters at midnight.

I couldn't snag a seat at the kitchen counter, unfortunately (there are only three seats there), but the bar was friendly enough. They were squeezing some beautiful-looking oranges right in front of me, so I got a Terroiriste, which was some manner of sweet, orangey citrus and Terroir gin -- an upscale gin and juice, if you will :-)
nopaasparagusegg.jpg
Poached Duck Egg
nopaasparagusegg.jpg (66.42 KiB) Viewed 6633 times
I suppose this dish was kind of predictable, but I couldn't get away from it. And it was pretty good -- balance on the acid and salt felt a touch off, but a really nice egg, beautiful shaved asparagus -- tough not to like.
nopacod.jpg
Roasted Black Cod
nopacod.jpg (72.88 KiB) Viewed 6633 times
The roasted cod, however, was absolutely dynamite. They assemble these shallow pottery bowls with lentils, chickpeas, spring onions and the fish, then pop the whole thing in the wood oven so the cod roasts, the fat and juice drip off and season the legumes, and then when it comes out they top it with a little bit of dressed frisee. It's killer. It's just barely seasoned, and what little is there is all the seasoning it needs. It's searing hot, fabulously juicy and tender fish, and the whole dish picks up this intoxicating smokiness from the wood oven while it's roasting in there. Plus, I think the chickpeas are fried before they go in the oven, so they come out crisp and crunchy. It's little more than fabulous ingredients roasted together, but it's such a great example of how handling something juuuuuuuust right can take it from good to exceptional. Beautiful dish.

Anyway, back to day three, after Benu I was craving Xiao Long Bao, and one of the Yank Sing locations happened to be on the way to SFMOMA. I adored this place when I first came here years ago (late '90s?), and the shine has really come off it for me, but there are still things that I enjoy.
yanksingxlb.jpg
Xiao Long Bao
yanksingxlb.jpg (63.56 KiB) Viewed 6633 times
The XLB, for instance! I've had better, but these are pretty damn good. They're brimming with soup, they have a nice, thin wrapper, and they capture that beautiful, delicate texture. Technically, they're awesome.
yanksingxlbcu.jpg
Saggy
yanksingxlbcu.jpg (44.94 KiB) Viewed 6633 times
See? Great sag! I wish the pork flavor were a little more pronounced, but this is getting awfully picky. They're damn good XLB. They don't do chinkiang vinegar -- they use something else. A vinegar that's some kind of deep pink. Not sure what it is. But in any event, it works.
yanksingsiumai.jpg
Siu Mai
yanksingsiumai.jpg (53.01 KiB) Viewed 6633 times
I find myself less enthused with the rest of the offerings every time I go. Nice flavor on the siu mai, not so much with the texture. Har gau were solid, but a pale shadow of Koi Palace's down south. Peking duck was so-so and buried in a giant chunk of cold mantou. Dry-fried string beans were brilliant, though, perfect tender-crisp texture and wonderful flavor, with dried shrimp.

I dunno... I think I'm pretty much done with these guys. The quality just hasn't been there the last few times I've been, and when they're charging what they charge, it had better be. I can see stopping in to suck down a few XLB and move on, but whether it's them or me, I don't enjoy them like I did years ago.

Dinner was tough. Josh was really big on Commonwealth, I've been dying to get to chrislee's beloved Kappou Gomi, and man, everybody seems to be talking about SPQR. This was a really painful decision. So I outsourced it. And Dr. Doux picked SPQR. And I'm pretty glad she did.

Singular complaint out of the way early. This is the first time in my entire life that I've thought, "Wow, these tables are way too close together." Our two top was, literally, three inches separated from the one next to us. We effectively shared the table with a couple of other ladies.

Okay, complaints done. Dinner rocked. Seriously... rocked. The weakest dish was the first, and it was really good -- a fritto misto, different pieces of seafood featuring different batters/breadings(!), with some kind of crisp squid ink cracker and a Calabrian chile puree. Very good, but not anything that'll stick with me.
spqrcarrots.jpg
Sweet Carrot and Lentil Salad
spqrcarrots.jpg (62.46 KiB) Viewed 6633 times
This'll stick with me. For a long time, probably. Absolutely stunning dish. These exploded, composed salads are a dicey proposition. It's easy for them not to come together. But man, did this come together. There were roasted carrots, shaved raw carrots, little crispy sprouted lentils, a fried lentil puree that kind of resembled falafel, a fabulous butter and some other kind of sweet paste both scented with vadouvan, a sweet carrot puree, little dollops of pureed dates -- I can't believe I'm waxing poetic about a salad that involved this many purees, but I swear, it was nothing short of outstanding, an amazing mix of flavors and textures that was still somehow all about carrots. Total showstopper of a dish.
spqrurchincarbonara.jpg
Sea Urchin Carbonara
spqrurchincarbonara.jpg (55.81 KiB) Viewed 6633 times
Oh, so close. It's basically a carbonara with sea urchin, and I know some consider a dish like this a waste of good sea urchin (*cough*... sinosoul), but y'know, I'm not sure I subscribe to the theory that it always has to be front and center. I can be adding a gentle, creamy brine to a delicious pasta. Downside being that the pasta was overcooked (or, perhaps, not firm enough to begin with) -- only misstep of the entire evening. Do this with pasta asciuta or a stronger fresh pasta, though, and I'm all over it.
spqrchestnutagnolotti.jpg
Chestnut and Black Truffle Agnolotti
spqrchestnutagnolotti.jpg (59.05 KiB) Viewed 6633 times
Dr. Doux is lucky I didn't pick up her plate and run out the door with it. They had a special black truffle menu, and she picked a chestnut agnolotti with fried sage, brown butter foam, and tons of shaved black truffle. There was another element or two that I'm forgetting. I got one bite. It may have been my best bite of the trip. Wow, what a dish.
spqrapplepork.jpg
Suckling Pork, Apple, Mushroom
spqrapplepork.jpg (57.97 KiB) Viewed 6633 times
Fabulously delicious. Sweet roasted pork -- a few different cuts -- apple puree, sauteed mushrooms, chestnuts, brussels sprouts, black garlic... man, was this delicious.

Dr. Doux had tiramisu for dessert.
spqrparsnipagnolotti.jpg
Parsnip Agnolotti
spqrparsnipagnolotti.jpg (65.95 KiB) Viewed 6633 times
I had pasta. I think she thought I was joking until I actually ordered it. Creamy cheese-filled agnolotti with roasted parsnips and mushrooms, drowning in a sea of melted butter. So, so good.

SPQR was outstanding. I want to go back, bring a few friends, and work through the entire list of pastas. Despite my protestations, everybody seems to think I only like traditional foods, so, y'know... Exhibit A. If you make delicious food, if the changes you make are interesting and positive ones, you can break as many rules as you damn well please. Thanks for the rec on this one... from here on out, it's going to be really hard to visit SF without going here. Bonus, great people too. Super-friendly service, and the only reason we were there in the first place was because they squeezed us in after I somehow screwed up and booked the wrong night on OpenTable.

Of course, they had to squeeze us in early (like, senior citizen early), so late night dogs were in order. Particularly after meeting misterk for a beer (so bummed we didn't get a chance to chow together, but it was great to catch you, man!).
luckydogstokyoteaser.jpg
Dirty South (left), Tokyo Teaser (right)
luckydogstokyoteaser.jpg (70.26 KiB) Viewed 6633 times
Lucky Dogs is clearly one of the more popular post-booze destinations, and with good reason. I had a couple of very solid dogs. Most importantly, it's a really good sausage -- nice flavor, natural casing, great snap. They mostly griddle them, though I think it depends on which one you get. The Dirty South, with chili and cole slaw, was good but needed a little bit of sweetness in the slaw, I thought. I loved the Tokyo Teaser, though -- Kewpie mayo, teriyaki sauce and powdered nori and sesame. Great way to end the day.

*sigh*... only had half a day left after this.

Nopa
www.nopasf.com
560 Divisadero Street
San Francisco, CA 94117
415-864-8643

Yank Sing
www.yanksing.com
41 Stevenson Street
San Francisco, CA 94105
415-541-4949

SPQR
www.spqrsf.com
1911 Fillmore Street
San Francisco, CA 94115
415-771-7779

Lucky Dogs
www.luckydogssf.com
2211 Filbert Street
San Francisco, CA 94123
415-776-3647
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Skillet Doux

7 years ago

Got a little sidetracked there, but I wanted to get the last installment posted.

We didn't have a whole lot of time Saturday morning, but there was enough to walk over to the Ferry Building, cruise the market for a bit, get something to eat, and truck back to the hotel.

I think I'd been overprepared for the Saturday market at the Ferry Building. It wasn't as gargantuan as I expected. Which isn't to say that it isn't both huge and awesome. It is both huge and awesome. But somehow I'd gotten it in my mind that this was going to be some kind of crazy football field sized event with 10,000 people. I am much relieved that it was not. It was big, but manageable. And, of course, beautiful.
ferrybuildingcarrots.jpg
ferrybuildingcarrots.jpg (90.08 KiB) Viewed 6572 times
ferrybuildingeggs.jpg
ferrybuildingeggs.jpg (66.06 KiB) Viewed 6572 times
I'd be lying if I didn't admit that the meaty stuff was my primary goal, though. I filled up a cooler bag with about 20 pounds of cured pork from Boccalone and the Fatted Calf's stand, and then headed over to Roli Roti.
rolirotispits.jpg
Rotisserie
rolirotispits.jpg (87.28 KiB) Viewed 6572 times
My god, that's a beautiful thing. For me, this is kind of a childhood flashback. Every few years, we'd go to Rome for Christmas, and for the holidays Piazza Navona is packed with all kinds of carts filled with candies, carnival games, small rides, and porchetta. They drive up, fire up the spits, and sell porchetta sandwiches on the street. And this was totally it. Note: pork (and chicken) fat dripping down onto the potatoes, below.
rolirotislicing.jpg
Slicing the Porchetta
rolirotislicing.jpg (88.39 KiB) Viewed 6572 times
No delicate carving, here. They had three slicers, and they went at this stuff, carving off huge, thick chunks of it.
rolirotiporchetta.jpg
Porchetta Sandwich
rolirotiporchetta.jpg (83.52 KiB) Viewed 6572 times
Resulting in this, on killer bread with some crackling, caramelized onions, and some manner of greenery. And dear god, it was good. So, so good. I wasn't quite as enthused by the potatoes. Either more crisp or more salt or both was needed, I think. But whatever. Porchetta. I demolished one and packed a second in the meat bag for transport home. With a little homemade fruit mostarda the next day, it made for a mighty fine dinner.

Man, I wish I'd gotten to more. I barely scratched my shortshort list for the trip. But I suppose I can't complain. We'll get back.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
sourcetags8codes

7 years ago

uploads coming later today. finally had time to do this.
sourcetags8codes

7 years ago

Visiting a city for no other reason than to eat is a okay in my book. I've always heard sf was a great city for all walks of life and culture but never really got to explore the city myself until last year. Such a huge list of places to hit. I truly do love this city and try to make it back every chance i can. The times that i have made it there, I was only outfitted with an android phone so I'm sorry for the way some of the picture came out

Considering it was my first time for serious eating in sf, i decided to see the source of what started a movement and launched some pretty big careers

Chez Panisse

I was lucky to have gone around the 40th birthday. Its a beautiful restaurant built of mostly wood and old menus that line the walls. Tons of history here.

started out with some beautiful house cured anchovies. Bright, slighty sweet, and the perfect acidic note

next up was a fresh mozzarella salad, pursalane, tomato, fresh, and dried bean salad. Crunch from the greens and fresh beans alone with the creaminess of the cheese and dried beans was a hit.

Fried Rock cod, radish, corn salad. Light batter, sweet corn, spicy radish, and rich fish was awesome and not to heavy for lunch

I couldnt help myself to order this, but I was glad we decided to. Nettle and sausage pizza. Classic flavors done really well. Great balance of char, chew, richness, and spice.

Pluot apple tart with vanilla ice cream. Almost a sweet and sour combo, flaky crust, and ice cream. Great way to end lunch before 4 dinners ahead of us (it was my first time so I wanted to make sure I got the most out of the trip).

Chez Panisse
1517 Shattuck Avenue
Berkeley, California 94709
sourcetags8codes

7 years ago

Following the light lunch, I headed to the college to see the campus and check out other restaurants here and there. So much different ethnic food in berkley. It blows my mind everytime i'm there.

Since chez panisse was celebrating it's 40th birthday, I decided to check out someone who not only worked there, but modeled his restaurant after pizzeria bianco.

Pizzaiolo is ran by chef Charlie Hallowell. In the coco book, Alice Waters nominated him for running the upstairs cafe for some time at chez. He lives above the restaurant with his two sons, often working the pizza over at either of his restaurants (more on that later), and shows late night movies while serving snacks.

It really does feel like pizzeria bianco (back in the day when you had to wait). Line out the door, small space with wooden tables, except the menu has two daily pastas, two entrees, and has a wider array of snacks, and starters.

Pickled peppers, charred onions, sausage, and ricotta salata. Great pizza with sweet, salt, acidic, and richness.

Salad of summer chicories, warm bacon, red wine vin, sieved egg. I was surprised by the egg considering I dislike hard boiled eggs. Really Great salad though. creamy egg, warm crunch bacon, slight bitterness from the lettuce.\

I was thinking maybe I should try dessert, but instead opted for this white clam pizza. Briny clams, peppery greens, chili oil, and a little parm cheese. Man, I wanted another one of these but knew that wasn't going to happen.

Driving down the street to charlie's other restaurant, Boot and Shoe Service is another version of Pizzaiolo but with an added coffee shop. Pizzaiolo does insane number for a dinner only restaurant that seats 60 people. I think they do an average of about 300 people within a 6 hour dinner service. The great thing is that both restaurants are a mile within each other and the staff will glady direct you to the other restaurant with a table that is ready if needed.

We only got one dish here (i had to hold myself to it considering I had another dinner reservation about an hour away

sorry for the tiny picture

Fried montery by sardine, pursalane, pickled beets, salty cucumber, radish. Loved this dish, I wish i could get more fish like this here in AZ.

Last meal of the night was about 2 blocks away called Camino (fireplace in italian) Russel Moore was also nominated in the coco book by Alice Waters. A very underrated restaurant. They've been featured on unique eats, savory cities, and numerous publication. Russel Cooks with a lot of pickles, likes a look of vibrance, texture, and makes sure his food is comforting on all level. Everything is made in house here (vinegar including). Animals come whole, and everything is cooked on a wood griil, or in a wood oven. My favorite restaurant and a must go everytime I'm there

Fresh oven roasted shell beans with tomato vinaigrette. Such a simple dish done so well.

Grilled garlic bread, braised duck giblets, crunchy skin, smeared liver, swiss chard. Full on duck blast that was awesome. The liberty farm ducks are the best here on the west coast.

I'm combining two different visits to this place so bear with me

Grilled squid, ratatouille, yogurt. The squash is and zucchini is grilled, onions roasted in ash, diced and mixed up. The tomatoes, peppers, and garlic is roasted in the wood over and then using a food mill, milled over the vegetable mixture.

Fried oyster, broccoli, and okra with a carrot salad. They have a pot of oil over the fire and deep fry from that. It baffles me but man this was great. Sweet carrots dressed with a little honey and cumin and then briny oysters, bitter broccoli, and okra that just melted

Grilled sand dabs, potato gratin, cripsy nettles, shell beans. There's really nothing more I can say about this dish.

This picture doesn't do justice but grilled duck breast, duck fat potatoes, roasted apple, wood oven braised leg, escarole cook in the juices of duck. Delicious

Russel was kind enough to send us out a little treat

Ribeye kebab, bacon lentils, peppernata, yogurt, grilled flatbread. Apparently this is what staff gets at the end of the night if there is any left and i'm a little jealous that i don't. It doesn't look like much but man its crazy good. This is usually my day on stops and I try to get oakland out of the way on the first day.

*edit*

Forgot to add this, Curly endive, grilled squid, shaved crunchy bread. Really awesome

There is also bake sale bettys which has killer fried chicken, i need to find my notes for a sorbet place, and also theres daniel patterson's sandwich restaurant that is pretty great to (my phone died during those meals)

Pizzaiolo
5008 Telegraph Ave
Oakland, CA 94609

Boot and Shoe Service
3308 Grand Avenue
Oakland, California 94610

Camino
3917 Grand Avenue
Oakland, California 94610
Last edited by sourcetags8codes 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
sourcetags8codes

7 years ago

Next day work up early

headed over to my favorite area in the mission district. I can find anything and everything in this place and more.

Started my morning by heading over to four barrel coffee. One of the best roasters on the west coast and one of my favorites in the 3rd wave genere of coffee

Great place, always a line, and also theres a patio out front for drinks as well as a side bar for one on one pour over selections

Walking around I discovered this place three weeks after is opened and to my surprise, sf was missing a little bakery like this considering citizen cake shut down, there was nothing that was like it till now. Craftsman and wolves is more than just baked goods. Theres also high end desserts in this tiny shop found in the mission district. It was much easing taking picture in the case so I would remember everything that i ate.

I found out that there is also blueberry powder in here that gives it a sweet tart like flavor

Fun and a little more refined that its sister version

They add frangelico, and hazlenuts from piedmont to give this a really strong nutty flavor along with a creamy texture throughout

This tasted like cocoa puffs in a good way

Salty caramel plus white chocolate is a winner

unexpected savory version. The black mustard had enough of a kick to balance out the sweetness of the corn

The sweetest peach pastry i have every had. They also torch peaches to order for this dessert.
They also offer afternoon tea, along savory options throughout the day

Craftsman and Wolves
746 Valencia Street (at 18th Street)
San Francisco, California 94110
sourcetags8codes

7 years ago

After a light breakfast, headed over to Bar tartine to check out the new sandwich program.

From left to right
Pork belly - beer aspic, carrot
smoked salmon - parm, capers, onions
Swiss chard, goat cheese, onion jam

The Fashioned Smørrebrød. I'll post diner pictures later but this is another place not to be missed. The chef de cusine has studied japenese food for about 12 years, and he is cooking the food of his childhood with exceptional technique. Add influence from relea ( a restaurant in copenhagen that is an alum of noma) and chad robertson's bread and you really cant do much better than that.

I got the chance to eat at Mission Chinese Food. Such a cheap meal but well worth the wait and you get a lot for what you pay for

Salt cod fried rice. I have dreams about this with mackerel confit, chinese sasuage, and scallions
There was also a cold soba noodle dish, kung pao pastrami, lambs face noodle soup, thrice cooked bacon, radish with pig jowls, general tsao's veal rib, sweet and spicy rib tips, peppercorn chicken wings, but my pictures didnt turn out that well do to lighting, phone quality, and drinking i believe.

I did end up at mission bowling club though to have the famous burger they're known for. I was underhelmed. The burger looks so great in the book but it was overly gamey. The bun, swiss, and caper aioli was great but didn't help.

Fried chicken with spicy ranch. I was sad because the chicken was over brined. It was still good but that slight over salt i couldn't get past

After seeing the crunch cinnamon toast in the book i had to have it. Cinnamon sugar, vanilla ice cream, and maple.

Bar Tartine
561 Valencia Street San Francisco CA 94110

Mission chinese food
Lung Shan Restaurant
2234 Mission St
(at Between 18th and 19th Streets )
San Francisco, CA 94110

Mission Bowling Club
3176 17th St @ S. Van Ness
San Francisco, CA 94110
Skillet Doux

7 years ago

Dude... this is awesome stuff.

I'm so bummed. I really wanted to do Panisse, but they were still cleaning up from the fire.

I'm trying to get a handle on Mission Chinese... is it just sort of weirdly eclectic? More a matter of Chinese flavors applied to western dishes, or the other way around? A good fried rice it a thing of beauty.

Also, sardines, yesyesyes. Just from perusing menus, it seems like sardines and mackerel are really big in SF at the moment. That's a trend I wouldn't mind seeing work its way down here.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic