Chi-town

Traveling and dining in other Arizona cities and beyond
Skillet Doux

7 years ago

Woohoo!

I'm so glad you had a good time. And even in abbreviated fashion, you really ended up with a good crowd. Those three are good folks.

I haven't yet been to Scofflaw, but it's on the list for the summertime.

Great report, man... thanks.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
BarbaraToombs

7 years ago

Awesome writeup, Joel! And great idea to go through LTH...will have to keep that in mind, as we'll probably be in the Chicago area for Thanksgiving.
PHXeater

7 years ago

Just booked my first trip to Chicago since my move back, I was having major withdrawals. Going to try and get into Girl and the Goat. Other than that I'm staying with friends who aren't big foodies but will report back on what I drag them to. No cars for anyone and even Lincoln Square is a stretch to get them to so we shall see...
cactuschowdah

7 years ago

I have to insist you try the brunch at Publican if you haven't already. REALLY good stuff. Girl and the Goat is a must-go for me every time I'm there as well.
Dapuma

7 years ago

Will be headed back to Chi Town Memorial Day weekend

Girl and the Goat is pretty much booked up so I had reso's at Publican

Where else should I get - Does anyone have a hookup for Alinea? (Dom / UHockey) I would certainly drop anything I am doing for Tickets for 2 Saturday or Sunday (table of 4 for sunday would work as well or just 2) - preference would be for 4 Sunday 26th
Last edited by Dapuma 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Skillet Doux

7 years ago

Dapuma wrote:Does anyone have a hookup for Alinea?
I wish :-/

Are they on the same ticket system as Next, now?
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Dapuma

7 years ago

Yes they are, Memorial Day weekend is completely sold out, and we just found out our friends will be there that weekend for a graduation, so we are heading out there as the everything just kind of fell into place in the last 24 hours

I cannot even find them being sold on a ticket scalper site (like stub hub), it is kind of strange I thought last time I looked for tickets they were available on the selling sites, just didn't have the time that trip - Are they not allowing people to upcharge the sale of them to eliminate the scalper field ?? Which would be kind of cool
PHXeater

7 years ago

Reporting from Chicago now, here to visit friends and not getting a ton of interest in my spots but have a few things on deck:

Staying in Gold Coast and "working from home" so going to make a quick-ish trip up the red line to Tac Quick for Thai today. Tonight is a late dinner at a tapas place in Lincoln Park, Cafe Ba-ba-reeba, that's an old sentimental spot for us and a lot of fun but not culinary genius. I'm trying to get my friend to meet me at Girl and the Goat for a couple apps right when they open for a happy hour type meal today as well. Tomorrow involves some imbibing (what else is there to do when it's a high of 48 in late April?), but I'm hoping to at least get them to hop over to Slurping Turtle for lunch before the day of cocktails begin.

Hoping to make a brunch spot on Sunday but that's still up in the air. Dom might freak but I'm not going to Chinatown or getting an italian beef while I'm here :o . Not enough time, and literally no interest from the friends I'm staying with unfortunately.
Skillet Doux

7 years ago

PHXeater wrote:Staying in Gold Coast and "working from home" so going to make a quick-ish trip up the red line to Tac Quick for Thai today.
In case you missed it, the chef at TAC, Andy Aroonrasameruang, left the restaurant last year to open his own place, Andy's Thai Kitchen. This is all secondhand, but I've heard that TAC is still good, but has definitely (unsurprisingly) lost a step since Andy's departure. If you need to stick to the red line, might want to give Andy's Thai Kitchen a whirl instead. Or if you can hop on the brown, there's Aroy, which azhotdish wrote about above, and Spoon.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
PHXeater

7 years ago

Did not know that, thanks for letting me know. Was going to check out Aroy but am steps from red line and will need to get back to work so can't take too long. Hm, maybe will just head to Chinatown instead of Thai then. Although Andy's is in my old neighborhood which is a plus. Will look on LTH for some more info and report back on what I choose.
azhotdish

7 years ago

Aroy was an eye-opening experience as far as Thai food is concerned for me. Highly recommended.
---
Joel
@azhotdish
Dapuma

7 years ago

Our friends want to go somewhere that has foie gras (from cali) since they cannot get that at home

Girl and Goat is a no go because it is booked...and sounds like unless we get lucky they are offering a table day of that Alinea is out

Anyone have a couple of ideas to check out - that would could actually book for memorial day weekend (Sunday night)

Edit: Also Andy's Thai Kitchen does not appear that far away from where we will be, is there anything that is a do not miss there?

Arroy Thai is quite a bit further north, unless it is that much superior to ATK (no car)

EDIT 2: How is Tavernita? Seems like a cool spot and has a lot of barrel aged cocktails
Skillet Doux

7 years ago

Dapuma wrote:Edit: Also Andy's Thai Kitchen does not appear that far away from where we will be, is there anything that is a do not miss there?
Haven't been yet, but there's a good thread going at LTH:

ATK - Andy's Thai Kitchen (LTHforum.com)
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Independent George

7 years ago

Christina wrote:Enjoyed reading Dapuma's trip reports and others. Once again planning our Chicago trip, for April or May. We may work it around when we can get Alinea tickets. Weather-wise, how is April for Chicago?
Not sure if you already made it out here, but it snowed this past Saturday. Not much, it didn't stay, and it's actually gorgeous out this week, but it cracks me up that we got snow on April 20th.
sinosoul

7 years ago

Chi Snow in April is/was/will always be... not funny. O, and it was flooding somewhere in Chigoland last week. :evil:

Dapuma, again, G&G has plenty of (uncomfortable) bar seating if you hit the resto at 5:30 when they open. I suggested GT Fish to a foie-chasing LA pal she nearly wet herself over some foie gras shrimp terrine thing.
Dapuma

7 years ago

Our friends have Dinner at G & G late on Saturday which is why we need a foie spot for Sunday

LTH helped me narrow down the choice to

Brindelle (Naha chef's new French spot - just about to open) and Henri and then as a no reso back up Longman and Eagle

I think right now the plan is on Saturday Andy Thai Kitchen for lunch Violet Hour for drinks pre dinner then Publican for dinner then G and G for drinks...then who knows :mrgreen:

Sunday Foie spot with some cocktails before hand, just trying to figure out Scofflaw or The Whistler

Monday I am sure Pho or a Bun dish will be needed for recovery

I will get to G & G next time for dinner, just need more planning on the trip they book out far in advance It appears if you don't want to eat at 10

GT Fish doesn't have foie on their menu, and they are from Cali so they can get good seafood anytime
azhotdish

7 years ago

Dapuma wrote: Sunday Foie spot with some cocktails before hand, just trying to figure out Scofflaw or The Whistler
Depends on where you end up for dinner, I guess. Scofflaw is awesome, but it's pretty much off the beaten path of where you might be headed. It's a fantastic bar - in a neighborhood (I would liken it to say, Tuck Shop in Phoenix - close, but you wouldn't find it if you weren't looking). If you have a car, it's worth a drive I think. The atmosphere is also pretty low-key - I've never been to The Whistler, but I'd say they're likely to be more lively than Scofflaw.
---
Joel
@azhotdish
PHXeater

7 years ago

Yes, G & G you need to book a good 3 months out. When I lived there I'd book a reservation 3 months in advance and the week before just find people to join me. Be aware it can still be packed and hard to get a drink at 10pm. So worth it though, everytime I had an impeccable meal there.

And also, yes, it was snowing last weekend when I was there, sounds like it's been a bad winter based on how jealous my friends were of my tan. Friday it was miserable out so I went to Slurping Turtle for ramen and despite not being an expert really enjoyed the tonkotsu - super flavorful broth with pork shoulder that was crazy good - totally different flavor profile from the broth. It was one of those bowls where I couldn't decide what was better, bites of pork shoulder, broth, noodles, mushrooms. Despite some mixed reviews I was very happy - although the service could've been better, the server was absolutely slammed.

I really like Longman & Eagle but it's a little on the city fringes for most tourists (no offense intended, just what people seem to think who are visiting). If you're close to a blue line stop it's easy though.
sinosoul

7 years ago

FWIW, and because I hate being wrong: GT Fish's foie terrine (from 3 weeks ago): Image

it's def still on the menu.

g'luck either way, just happy LTH forum helped.
Dapuma

7 years ago

ATK aka Andy's Thai Kitchen - WOW was this place good
Kao Soy and the Boat Noodles
http://chicago.seriouseats.com/2013/01/ ... tchen.html

I don't really like curry that much (I am converting slowly) but this dish was the so flavorful with great textures and a lot of meat, the different types of noodles gave it crunch and tenderness

The Boat Noodles were like Pho crossed with Bun Bo Hue and hammered with some extra flavors - I would eat this once a week if I lived in Chicago

Also got the Basil Crispy Pork Belly, which was a tad salty when eaten plain (its pork belly duh) but it was served with a huge serving a jasmine rice, and was delicious - however not quite as good as the other two dishes - it packed some heat as well, all 3 made a great meal for 2

Best of all, 3 entrees, thai iced tea, and a hot tea total was $36 - If you are in Chicago go here - we went around 2-3 and walked right in it was empty - I am certain they get packed later on - the interior is very nice and pleasant - We tried to get back for more Boat Noodles and menu exploration but did not have time

Henri: Foie Gras, can we have another one please - Was an excellent meal, accompanied by tremendous service (sometimes service is just there and sometimes it enhances the experience, this was the later) - the foie gras ala carte was great - we ended up getting two for the table (although the mousse wasn't bad the seared portion was the star of the show)

For other apps we did the Diver Scallops (perfectly cooked) steak tartare, which was good, but I am not a huge Tartare fan but this was a good preperation, Oysters Mignonette (good but not quite the same as getting them in San Fran at the Ferry Building) and 2x Foie

I asked the server what his two best items were, and he said the cassoulet and the New York au Poivre, so I went with the New York because it had sweetbreads (which were excellent) - Mrs D went with the Bouillabaisse, and that was the star of the evening for me in regards to the entree's - I would order that any day of the week, only flaw the entire meal was my steak was med not med rare but I just went with it - other people went with the duck (solid but I prefer confit) and the lamb rack (excellent)

Would Highly recommend the place - When you have a great wheel you do not need to reinvent it

They also made the best French 75 I have ever had, they had a Meyer Lemon "froth" on the top and used Nolet's Gin (which I am very fond of) and that really brought out the citrus essences of gin - excellent pairing and now the new gold standard

Spent a good 4 hours at Violet Hour (fun place great cocktails) and Girl and Goat was pretty good but a bit fuzzy, hard to say what was excellent there other than the Pork Shank, was dynamite - passed on Publican again but next time I think we will really go there

Made it to Sable for a cocktail late night, they served a great tiki drink in a tiki mug, so that place is due for some more recon

96th Floor of the Hancock building is a terrible place to get a cocktail - they serve an old fashion with club soda...stick with beer or just avoid that place :)

overall a good trip
Last edited by Dapuma 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.