Chi-town

Traveling and dining in other Arizona cities and beyond
Lunchbox

5 years ago

One word: Nightwood.

Damn, I've been meaning to write this for months. I had a killer solo meal there when I was in town (back in September) for a conference at McCormick Place. It was less than a $10 cab ride each way and it was well worth the money. SkilletDoux gave me the heads up on this one and I'm so glad he did... I tried to get some of my conference compatriots to come with me but everyone else was booked so I popped myself down at the bar and started with a cocktail.

Perfectly crafted. Sour and bitter in all the right places without being overly so.

Then I had the crispy pig ears with house cultured butter, maple, habanero, and cilantro. These were perfect. I just wish I had someone to share them with.

Warm tomato, sunflower seeds, yogurt, dill, olive oil and baguette. My favorite dish of the night. So simple but expertly put together and totally in season for late Summer/Fall in the midwest. I can still taste those tomatoes.

Foiegras and basil agnolotti (ravioli), sweet corn purée, plums, tomatoes. I had to do a pasta course. And this sounded too good to pass up. It was the perfect portion as this was the middle of my course selections... :oops:

And then. This. Spit roasted pork loin with copious amounts of perfectly rendered fat. I tried not to eat all the fat but I'll be honest, when it's this good, it's hard to show restraint. And the bitter greens, garlic, and pine nut salad were perfect on the side. This is a dish you literally dream about.

If you know me, you know that I always order dessert. And the obscenely gross amount of food I had already consumed wasn't going to stop me from ordering desert. I almost ordered the pears. I somewhat regret it.

I went with the PB&J. This was delicious. Beautifully plated. Hot, cold, crunchy, salty, sweet, the disparate elements on the plate made it a little clunky. I remember choking down the last of the grape sorbet. I'm not complaining as it was good, but it could have maybe been better? I don't know how to fix it but there could be something...

So I don't know if I've ever said thank you for the recommendation Dom, but thank you so much. This place is top notch. If anyone is ever in the neighborhood, I'd highly recommend it.

Nightwood Restaurant
2119 S Halsted Street
Chicago, IL 60608
(312) 526-3385
http://nightwoodrestaurant.com/
-- LBX

Instagram: @zachary.garcia

Twitter: @zach_garcia
Lunchbox

5 years ago

Almost forgot, we went to Macku Sushi in Lincoln Park the night before my Nightwood meal and it was legit as well. It's a fairly new place and I think they're still finding their footing but the food was good. I only got one pic before my camera died. Going back on my Instagram feed I saw this and felt compelled to post... ;)

Maguro 
seared tuna
 steak, 
onion 
tempura, Japanese mountain vegetables, cherry tomatoes, radish sprouts, sake soy reduction. Terrible picture, really great dish.

We were at a table for six and we plowed through lots of nigiri and sashimi. The standout dish (and maybe because it was slightly cold out for this AZ transplant) was the sweet potato soup (lobster 
broth,
 puree of 
sweet 
potato,
 black
 tiger shrimp,
 and chives). The lobster broth and sweet potato were perfect together.

Macku Sushi
2239 N Clybourn Ave.
Chicago, IL 60614
Phone: 773.880.8012
http://www.mackusushi.com/
-- LBX

BarbaraToombs

5 years ago

Just had to report back that Skillet Doux's suggestion of Smak-Tak (which I have since found out means "Taste-Yes!"), a tiny little Polish restaurant in Skokie, was a COMPLETE home run for the whole family! Freezing cold night, and their little place was a warm, welcome, friendly haven. The walls near the door were covered in LTH Forum (the Chicago-based food forum similar to this one) awards and write-ups from various Chicago-area publications, which was encouraging.
SmakTak_interior.jpg
Smak-Tak interior
SmakTak_interior.jpg (79.8 KiB) Viewed 5456 times
We (well, I) started with a bowl of beet borscht, which I had never had. They also had a "white borscht" on the specials menu, which was intriguing, but I wanted to try this traditional one. Both my husband and son wrinkled up their noses at the thought of beets...UNTIL I tasted it and was blown away by the awesome sweet/sour/peppery flavor, the unexpected dumplings hidden in the bowl, and the total deliciousness. Then they wanted to try some, and all loved it, too. Will have to learn how to make this. Wow.
SmakTak_borscht.jpg
Borscht
SmakTak_borscht.jpg (70.38 KiB) Viewed 5456 times
Well, of course we had to get a plate of assorted pierogies. SO good. Cheese & potato, sauerkraut & mushroom, meat. Swimming in butter.
SmakTak_Pirogies.jpg
Pierogies
SmakTak_Pirogies.jpg (49.76 KiB) Viewed 5456 times
Moved on to a recommendation of Skillet Doux's, the Hungarian-style pancake (goulash, mushrooms, potato pancake, onions, tomatoes, peppers). This was a total winner: the crispiness of that pancake, the hearty flavor of the goulash...awesome. The sides, a simple cole slaw and cucumbers in sour cream, were light and perfect with this.
SmakTak_pancake.jpg
Hungarian-style pancake
SmakTak_pancake.jpg (75.36 KiB) Viewed 5456 times
We finished with a "Grilled sausage in old Polish style," which was super tasty itself, but even the mashed potatoes and the sauerkraut accompaniments were some of the best I've ever tasted.
SmakTak_sausage.jpg
Polish sausage
SmakTak_sausage.jpg (63.03 KiB) Viewed 5456 times
Surprisingly, the three of us managed to pack all this away (helped by the fact that we'd been on a plane all day), and there were no leftovers.

The total bummer of this visit was that it put any Polish food I've had in the Valley to shame! Oh, how I wish we had something that even came close to this here! Anyhow, big tip of the hat to Skillet Doux for this recommendation!! :)

If anyone is in the North Chicago, area, I would HIGHLY recommend this place!!!!!!
Mike Z

5 years ago

You are indeed correct, GoBlue. Thanks!
The Sprouts on Southern had five types. Sausage/pepperoni, sausage cartelized onion, pepperoni, four cheese, and I forget. $10 a pop, $8 on sale. Good stuff!
image.jpg
image.jpg (144.74 KiB) Viewed 5336 times
Skillet Doux

4 years ago

Allow me to be as clear about this as I can possibly be. If you are going to Chicago and intend to do any upscale dining, go to Elizabeth. I mean, look, if you want to do Alinea, do Alinea. It's a piece of culinary history and it absolutely lives up to its rep. And also, I know, I know, this isn't a cage match to determine Chicago's Best Restaurant. I HATE that kind of thinking, and I don't mean to present it as such. But without exaggeration, not only was our dinner at Elizabeth in December one of the most delicious I've ever had, but it was also one of the most interesting, one of the most distinctive, one of the most engaging. It made me giddy like I haven't been over a meal in quite some time.
elizabeth01stag.jpg
elizabeth01stag.jpg (92.84 KiB) Viewed 5057 times
The entire restaurant embodies such a beguiling contradiction. One one hand, the chef, Iliana Regan is from a small farm in Indiana, and her menus are brimming with things she's foraged, raised, grown, cured, hunted, pickled, slaughtered, and otherwise acquired, either literally or in spirit, from her family's farmstead. But this is modern cookery, no stranger to manipulation, unafraid of gizmos and gadgets and refined presentations. The magic, to me, is in how the kitchen can do so much while losing so little -- how a meal so refined can be so in touch with the dirt from which it came.
elizabeth02centerpiece.jpg
elizabeth02centerpiece.jpg (82.58 KiB) Viewed 5057 times
Speaking of the kitchen, you're basically in it. The room is tiny, clean and minimal, but with natural wood and shelves filled with mycology manuals. The kitchen is just in the back, over a low counter. From one of the tables, you could reach out and burn yourself on the stove without leaving your chair. The kitchen staff steps away to bring your dishes to the table, which I absolutely adore. Not to knock great servers, but why hear the story of the dish from the middle man when you can get it directly from the cook who's been engrossed in every step of making it?
elizabeth03starters.jpg
Amuses
elizabeth03starters.jpg (85.89 KiB) Viewed 5057 times
First out was a small collection of amuses. At the top, a thin crispbread with (I think) some manner of creme fraiche and intense, briny steelhead trout roe. On the bottom right, salted celery root with nasturtium and a sauce/puree that I'm afraid escapes my memory. On the bottom left, a curly, crunchy potato chip drizzled with dark chocolate and finished with snail roe. (You heard me.) Oddest thing about the snail roe? It had a pronounced herbal flavor, almost basil-like. She's throwing down right out of the gate. Earthy, floral, salty, vegetal... these are aytpical flavors.
elizabeth04vegetablejerky.jpg
Smoked Vegetable Jerky
elizabeth04vegetablejerky.jpg (106.36 KiB) Viewed 5057 times
This might've been my favorite of the night, but man, is that a tough call. From the top left, burdock root, beets, carrots, and parsnips. To dip, just a touch of fresh lemon yogurt. But these vegetables, first cooked sous vide, then smoked, then dehydrated -- they were delightfully chewy, and the flavor was so intense, having been so condensed. Even the smoke was remarkable, complex but almost sweet, not the least bit acrid.
elizabeth05wildrice.jpg
Rice Krispy
elizabeth05wildrice.jpg (72.57 KiB) Viewed 5057 times
The world needs more puffed wild rice, bound here with lightly curried marshmallow, a touch of Wisconsin cheddar, and a sliver of cured venison. Beautiful crisp texture on the rice, and the intensity of that venison... fabulous bite.
elizabeth06mushroomconsomme.jpg
Mushroom Tea
elizabeth06mushroomconsomme.jpg (67.88 KiB) Viewed 5057 times
Simple. No cream, no alcohol, just an incredibly potent mushroom consommé, with a couple of cocoa nibs and a single chamomile bud. That little floral touch was perfect.
elizabeth07egg.jpg
Centerpiece Twigs with Quail Egg
elizabeth07egg.jpg (86.69 KiB) Viewed 5057 times
The centerpiece came into play here, as we were instructed to pluck out breadsticks to go with our quail eggs, oozing over a potato mousseline with a pile of grated truffle. A classic combination, done so well.
elizabeth08bread.jpg
Bread Service
elizabeth08bread.jpg (86.58 KiB) Viewed 5057 times
I love that they make a course out of bread service. I love that despite serving it with a bone marrow custard (and a beautifully complex, cultured house-made butter), they consider the bread the star. And it isn't lip service. The bread tastes like it's faintly spiced, like there's the barest hint of cinnamon in there, but they insist it's nothing but wild yeast. Also: the bone marrow custard? Whoa, no slouch.
elizabeth09scallops.jpg
Dried Apple and Chips
elizabeth09scallops.jpg (71.3 KiB) Viewed 5057 times
Chips and dip, the latter made of dried, powdered apple reconstituted with sunflower oil. The chips? Slivered, dried sliced scallop. Oh my. Dried scallops are such a wonderful ingredient... can we get them out of the Chinese pigeonhole? Light and crisp, that intense, mollusk flavor balanced by sweet apple. And here's a lesson on the importance of oil selection. It isn't just a vehicle. It's a flavor on its own.
elizabeth10noodles.jpg
Shrimp Noodle
elizabeth10noodles.jpg (70 KiB) Viewed 5057 times
Tagliatelle made with shrimp, a little red pepper (paprika?), and perhaps (I'm guessing) a minuscule amount of starch. Basically, they're shrimp noodles, tossed in a garlicky oil with a bit of breadcrumb. And I hate that I forgot to get a photo of the mug of venison broth that accompanied.
elizabeth11tartare.jpg
Venison and Dark Rye
elizabeth11tartare.jpg (76.38 KiB) Viewed 5057 times
Venison. Keep the venison coming. Here, served as a tartare on an incredible dark rye bread, thick and tender, with cocoa nibs and sprouted grains. Creamy housemade ricotta, the meat dressed with a touch of blueberry fermentation, a bit of salted duck yolk grated over the top... took a bite and drifted away for a bit.
elizabeth12matsutake.jpg
Fried Woodland Mushroom
elizabeth12matsutake.jpg (67.43 KiB) Viewed 5057 times
Fail. With apologies to the folks who plated this so carefully, I forgot to nab the photo until I was two bites in. It's a big, juicy maitake mushroom battered with acorn flour and fried, alongside a garlic aioli with punch-in-the-nose kind of pungency. To cut that nuttiness and richness, a little red sorrel salad with juniper vinaigrette. I can't get past how perfect this mushroom was.
elizabeth13foiels.jpg
Foie-Owls, Brioche, and Preserves
elizabeth13foiels.jpg (72.74 KiB) Viewed 5057 times
I get it! Killer foie, killer brioche, killer chunky raspberry jam. Nothing more to say.
elizabeth14farlotto.jpg
Grains and Beef Heart
elizabeth14farlotto.jpg (58.2 KiB) Viewed 5057 times
This dish played with your expectations in such a funny way, because you hear beef heart, grains, lamb stock, mushroom ragout, and you think this is going to be rich and meaty, and it is so not that dish. It's light, it's almost a little sour -- were some of the mushrooms pickled? -- and the grains (Sorghum? Farro? I don't recall.), rather than being fused into a creamy morass, roam free, and have some serious bite. I'm getting a little silly with this, but the point is that this isn't the dish you expect, and it's so refreshing.
elizabeth15chicken.jpg
Bird with Cauliflower and Pickles
elizabeth15chicken.jpg (63.43 KiB) Viewed 5057 times
Simple. A simple bird, with a beautiful, salty jus, a little shredded kale, pickled chard stems, and the flavor of three heads of cauliflower crammed into one tiny quenelle. This is a dish of restraint.
elizabeth16pear.jpg
Pear
elizabeth16pear.jpg (50.36 KiB) Viewed 5057 times
Dessert. First, a little pear intermezzo, simply named "pear" because that's really what it's about. Absinthe-poached pear with a pear sorbet and a little sugary crisp (that I'll bet was also somehow pear-related).
elizabeth17buttermilk.jpg
Smoked Buttermilk and Corn
elizabeth17buttermilk.jpg (43.01 KiB) Viewed 5057 times
Smoked buttermilk sorbet? Really? Yes, really. And it's astounding. We're not talking about a little whiff of smoke. It's as much smoke sorbet as it is buttermilk sorbet, over crumbled freeze-dried corn. Like the vegetable jerky, the sweetness of the smoke was incredible to me. And really, who thinks of this? I'm still in awe of this creation.
elizabeth18pumpkin.jpg
Fall Pie
elizabeth18pumpkin.jpg (85.14 KiB) Viewed 5057 times
A little Fall pie, crust underneath toasted walnut sorbet, with a pie-spiced butternut squash puree and toasted squash seeds glazed with honey.
elizabeth19mignardises.jpg
Cookies and Caramels
elizabeth19mignardises.jpg (77.82 KiB) Viewed 5057 times
A final pair of tastes before we sauntered off... a lovely little chocolate cookie concoction, and caramels that wore their porcini flavor with pride. Brilliant pairing, that.

I'm still floored just thinking about this meal. I'm gushing, I know. But really... not a weak link among these seventeen dishes. Not. One. And more amazing is that Regan (and her crew) put out a menu this consistent, this outstanding, while dancing out on the very end of the limb. There is so much risk, and so much character in this food. I don't know that I've ever had food this refined that had this much soul. (I realize it's an old discussion, but incidentally, this is the argument against those who wrote off MG as a soulless fad years ago -- not the restaurants like Alinea that push the technical boundaries with thought and purpose, but those for which contemporary techniques are just a few more tools in the toolbox.) It speaks to Regan's culinary maturity that a place like this, putting out a menu that's so contemporary and so precise, is still absolutely brimming with the spirit of an Indiana farm. There is a voice at work here. Elizabeth is the intersection of an almost poetic vision and flawless execution, and the resulting artistry is really something to see.

Elizabeth Restaurant
www.elizabeth-restaurant.com
4835 N. Western Avenue
Chicago, IL 60625
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
azhotdish

4 years ago

A late-February meeting in Kentucky took me through Chicago O'Hare, so I once again made the easy choice of staying overnight and spending a little over 24hrs in the city eating with my fast-friend PIGMON. That guy is a powerhouse of food knowledge, and every time I leave, I am grateful for his friendship.

Having never been to a Paul Kahan concept, I carved out plans for two on this trip, the first being Dove's Luncheonette in Wicker Park practically across the street from The Violet Hour. It's a hipster Tex-Mex joint basically, but the food is really very good.

Super fresh, nicely balanced ceviche packed with a ton of seafood.
doves_ceviche_web.jpg
ceviche
doves_ceviche_web.jpg (75.11 KiB) Viewed 4707 times
What the hell are peas and onions doing on top of chicken fried chicken? A little Midwest meets Tex-Mex flair, I suppose, and it really works.
doves_cfs_web.jpg
chicken fried chicken
doves_cfs_web.jpg (102.97 KiB) Viewed 4707 times
What I loved about chicken enchiladas is how they embraced the inherent bitterness you get with ancho and guajillo chiled and didn't try to go crazy balancing it out with the sweetness.
doves_enchiladas_web.jpg
red chile enchiladas
doves_enchiladas_web.jpg (101.68 KiB) Viewed 4707 times
Dove's Luncheonette
1545 N. Damen Ave.
Chicago, Illinois 60622
Website
doves_enchiladas_web.jpg
red chile enchiladas
doves_enchiladas_web.jpg (101.68 KiB) Viewed 4707 times
Several hours after Dove's a whole lot of cocktails at Violet Hour and Bar Deville, a necessary late night hot dog stop.

To my palate at least, this was remarkably similar to Gene and Jude's, and I enjoyed it equally as much. The fried shrimp...not so much. There was no denying the iodine in these, even after a bath of cocktail sauce. But I would go back in a second for that hot dog.
redhotranch_web.jpg
chicago dog, fried shrimp
redhotranch_web.jpg (100.25 KiB) Viewed 4707 times
Redhot Ranch
2072 N Western Ave
Chicago, IL 60647
pastoral_outside_web.jpg
pastoral (loop)
pastoral_outside_web.jpg (116.11 KiB) Viewed 4707 times
Wanting to do some market research, I decided to have a solo lunch at Pastoral in the loop. They've established quite a reputation, so much so that they recently expanded to five locations all over Chicago.

99% of their business seemed to be loop customers ordering from their selection of sandwiches, but I had to get the seasonal cheese plate with 1/3 baguette.
pastoral_cheese_web.jpg
brillat savarin, bandaged goat cheddar, 5-yr gouda
pastoral_cheese_web.jpg (93.58 KiB) Viewed 4707 times
Gotta love a lunch like that...

Pastoral Artisan Cheese, Bread & Wine (Loop)
53 E Lake St
Chicago, IL 60601
Website

The second Paul Kahan stop was the acclaimed Publican Quality Meats in the meatpacking district. What a tremendous place this is. While it has multiple cases filled with top-quality products, there are about five long tables in the back serving a great menu.
publican_case_web.jpg
meat case
publican_case_web.jpg (106.34 KiB) Viewed 4707 times
This might have been my favorite bite of food. Truffle salami cotto, sweet coppa, queso iberico, basil aioli, truffle tremor and olivada on focaccia. Just absolutely dynamite. The bread they're baking next door is really beautiful.
pqm_truffletta.jpg
truffletta
pqm_truffletta.jpg (94.41 KiB) Viewed 4707 times
Somewhat of a miss with the cocido, I think, though the way their treated the garnish and really charred the vegetables was really beautiful. The broth contained smoked chorizo, braised beef, blood sausage, chickpeas, potatoes, cabbage, carrots and mojo picon on the side. It was a bit too...acidic. And by a bit, I mean a lot. Way too much citrus. Perhaps it was intentional, I don't know, but I didn't love it.
cocido_web.jpg
cocido
cocido_web.jpg (87.75 KiB) Viewed 4707 times
cocido_garnish_web.jpg
cocido garnish
cocido_garnish_web.jpg (109.97 KiB) Viewed 4707 times
Overall, great place.

Publican Quality Meats
825 W. Fulton Market Street
Chicago, IL 60607
Website

This place was totally off my radar. In the interest of market research, PIGMON steered us here after PQM and I'm so glad that he did. The owner gave us the full tour of the facility and gave us some samples of some of the stuff they're making. It's mostly all wholesale to a lot of top restaurants in town, but they do some retail.
wls_sign_web.jpg
sign
wls_sign_web.jpg (66 KiB) Viewed 4707 times
wls_hanging_web.jpg
wls_hanging_web.jpg (145.75 KiB) Viewed 4707 times
wls_hanging2_web.jpg
salami for days
wls_hanging2_web.jpg (121.78 KiB) Viewed 4707 times
Having just tried the Nduja Artisans and the PQM house njuda, I thought theirs was better in terms of both flavor and texture.
wls_nduja_web.jpg
nduja
wls_nduja_web.jpg (69.39 KiB) Viewed 4707 times
West Lake Salumi
1111 W Randolph St
Chicago, IL 60607
Website

I won't even pretend to know much about tiki drinks and I really don't care. Paul McGee was behind the bar tending over our flock of eight people and was really awesome explaining a bunch of rums to us as we all happily imbibed. There's a little take-out Chinese joint next door that does upscale Americanized Chinese food, and it's really quite good. This was the perfect end to another enjoyable trip.

Lost Lake
3154 W Diversey Ave
Chicago, IL 60618
Website

One of these days I might actually go when it's not freezing cold!!!
Attachments
lost_lake_drink_web.jpg
lost_lake_drink_web.jpg (80.06 KiB) Viewed 4707 times
---
Joel
@azhotdish
Mike Z

4 years ago

Was in Chicago for a long weekend with 28 other people, so couldn’t exactly restaurant wander much. I really need to figure out how to get a whole week in town
Some of the highlights . . .

Lagunitas Chicago TapRoom
https://lagunitas.com/taproom/chicago/

One of my new favorite places! Damn, we had a great time here
Lagunitas3.jpg
Lagunita's Taproom
Lagunitas3.jpg (73.11 KiB) Viewed 4601 times
In the the speakeasy tradition . . . it’s a huge non-descript warehouse. You walk through this block long laser tag/aquarium lit tunnel, then up a few flights of a back stairway, through a dark waiting room overlooking what appears to be a used furniture store. Finally into this dark and polished beer hall designed like a massive windowed guard tower overlooking the meth cooking lab from Breaking Bad (if said lab was expanded a thousand fold) . . . man, it was cool.

The menu was rock solid elevated bar food. The Beer Mussels were good, but putting their Carnitas Nachos on top of the crostini from the mussels was a flavor bomb in the best way. And you won’t go wrong with The Hogunitas, basically their carnitas version of a Cuban

DMK Burger Bar – Lombard/Oak Brook
http://dmkburgerbar.com/

Impromptu dinner in the burbs with a party of seven, and it was a win all around. I’d happily go back. It’s a lounge-y dark slightly loud room. Service was not just good but enthusiastic. And they have a stellar craft beer list of tap/bottles/cans. If say the Snaggletooth Bandana from Solemn Oath Brewery in Naperville gives you any indication . . .
http://dmkburgerbar.com/thirsty/

Really nice burgers too. I’ve since read complaints that you can’t get a true medium rare, but it’s a small patty . . . nearly impossible to do for a burger that size. The waiter told us they cook to medium but could get some pink in by request. I asked for mine medium raw, and it came out just above a medium rare.
I had their Patty Melt, “Smoked Bacon, Burnt Onions, Leroy’s Remoulade, Smoked Swiss, Griddled Ry” and added roasted green chili. Just all kinds of delicious. They play up their fries, so we all split three types as a table app with the Amish Blue & Smoked Bacon and Wisconsin Cheddar & Scallion being the winners

Jacky’s Hot Dogs
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jackys-H ... 9222020246

On Pulaski south of the 55. My favorite chili dog, due in no small part to childhood memories . . . just a strange industrial chili with chopped onions. Fries reasonably crisp and not very greasy, but certainly not a highlight. I've been going here whenever I can for 37 years, and haven't had anything else except for the odd pizza puff back in the day. Not even a Chicago dog, just chili dogs with onions
IMG_4349.JPG
Jacky's
IMG_4349.JPG (80.62 KiB) Viewed 4601 times

Gene & Judes
http://www.geneandjudes.com/

First time at this Chicagoland "station of the cross". I love that they keep the menu short and sweet. I think it’s cool the number of people standing in the parking lot using the trunk of their car as a table (as did I). It was a good dog, and their everything toppings were fine with me. Maybe I got a bad batch, but the fries were terrible. . . the greasiest oil soaked pile of soggy fries I’ve ever thrown in the trash
GJ.jpg
G&J
GJ.jpg (160.17 KiB) Viewed 4601 times

Pollo Vagabundo
http://elpollovagabundo.com/

Lastly, I passed here on my travels and HAD to stop simply because of the name. I've since read it gets lots of love on the LTH Forum, and a cousin swears by their burritos, so I'm loathe to even say that I had a terrible experience. I only had two of the Super Tacos, pollo and lenqua. They were both bland and flavorless, even with a nicely hot salsa on them. The chicken seemed boiled not grilled, and the lenqua was inedible, like meat jello, but not in a good way. I certainly wouldn't condemn them based on two tacos, and would try them again, just order differently
IMG_4350.JPG
IMG_4350.JPG (137.39 KiB) Viewed 4601 times
ScottofStrand

4 years ago

I had a great trip to Chicago a while back, but haven't had a chance to post up my pics. I figured this would be a great time to push the multiple photo upload feature to the limit! (turns out the limit is 20 at a time, fyi)

Best bites of the trip: Al's Italian Beef, Purple Pig's Meatballs, Publican Quality Meat's everything(but especially Gerry's Adobo Dog), Nightwood's Lemon Poppyseed Cake, Girl and the Goat's everything(but especially the Chickpea Fritter, Pierogies, and Short Rib)
Als Beef.jpg
Al's Beef- Italian Beef, wet, sweet, hot
Als Beef.jpg (141.01 KiB) Viewed 4517 times
Blackbird Bread.jpg
Blackbird bread service
Blackbird Bread.jpg (74.94 KiB) Viewed 4517 times
BlackBird Asparagus Soup.jpg
Blackbird- Spring pea soup with asparagus, pickled spring onion, prosciutto, and mint
BlackBird Asparagus Soup.jpg (42.52 KiB) Viewed 4517 times
Blackbird Tartare.jpg
Blackbird- dry-aged beef tartare with smoked mushrooms, crispy grains, dried tomatoes, and cress
Blackbird Tartare.jpg (66.85 KiB) Viewed 4517 times
Blackbird Duck Confit.jpg
Blackbird- duck confit with pretzel dumplings, turnips, and mustard
Blackbird Duck Confit.jpg (68.96 KiB) Viewed 4517 times
BlackBird Steak.jpg
Blackbird- Hanger steak with smoked potato fingerling, charred cabbage, sour cream and black garlic
BlackBird Steak.jpg (71.38 KiB) Viewed 4517 times
BlackBird Strawberry.jpg
Blackbird- Sourdough bread pudding with blood orange sherbet, hibiscus yogurt, rhubarb compote, and strawberries
BlackBird Strawberry.jpg (62.23 KiB) Viewed 4517 times
BlackBird Brownie.jpg
Blackbird- Oat brownie sundae with chocolate madarin sorbet, chocolate cookie, condensed milk, and whipped cream
BlackBird Brownie.jpg (54.77 KiB) Viewed 4517 times
Jibbaritos.jpg
Papas Cache Sabroso- Jibbaritos
Jibbaritos.jpg (99.02 KiB) Viewed 4517 times
Jibbaritos Yucca.jpg
Papas Cache Sabroso- Yucca side
Jibbaritos Yucca.jpg (66 KiB) Viewed 4517 times
Pruple Pig Brussels.jpg
Purple Pig- Fried Brussels Sprouts with Thyme, Lemon and Chili Flakes
Pruple Pig Brussels.jpg (82.95 KiB) Viewed 4517 times
Pruple Pig Crispy Sprouts.jpg
Purple Pig- Pig's Ear with Crispy Kale, Pickled Cherry Peppers and Fried Egg
Pruple Pig Crispy Sprouts.jpg (85.32 KiB) Viewed 4517 times
Purple Pig Cheese Spread.jpg
Purple Pig- "i think" Eggplant Caponata with Goat Cheese
Purple Pig Cheese Spread.jpg (92.61 KiB) Viewed 4517 times
Purple Pig Marrow Spread.jpg
Purple Pig- Roasted Bone Marrow Smear, with Herb Salad and Sicilian Sea Salt
Purple Pig Marrow Spread.jpg (87.2 KiB) Viewed 4517 times
Purple Pig Cornbread.jpg
Purple Pig- Bobota "Greek Cornbread" With Feta, Mizithra Cheese & Honey
Purple Pig Cornbread.jpg (90.4 KiB) Viewed 4517 times
Purple Pig BLT.jpg
Purple Pig- JLT Pork Jowl, Tomato, Frisee, and Fried Duck Egg
Purple Pig BLT.jpg (81.76 KiB) Viewed 4517 times
Purple Pig Chicken Thigh.jpg
Purple Pig- Chicken Thigh Kebabs with Fried Smashed Potatoes and Tzatziki
Purple Pig Chicken Thigh.jpg (74.09 KiB) Viewed 4517 times
Purple Pig Meatballs.jpg
Purple Pig- Amazing Meatball dish with ricotta puree and arugula
Purple Pig Meatballs.jpg (73.42 KiB) Viewed 4517 times
Purple Pig Pork Loin.jpg
Purple Pig- Whole Salt Roasted Pork Tenderloin, Horseradish Crema, Piquillo Pepper Jam
Purple Pig Pork Loin.jpg (63.72 KiB) Viewed 4517 times
Pequods.jpg
Pequod's deep dish
Pequods.jpg (143.06 KiB) Viewed 4517 times
Pequods Slice.jpg
Pequod's slice
Pequods Slice.jpg (71.41 KiB) Viewed 4517 times
Publican Meats.jpg
Publican Quality Meats- Meat Counter
Publican Meats.jpg (153.04 KiB) Viewed 4517 times
Publican Meats 2.jpg
Publican Quality Meats- Meat Counter also
Publican Meats 2.jpg (133.98 KiB) Viewed 4517 times
Publican Cheese and Meat.jpg
Publican Quality Meats- Cheese and Charcuterie plate
Publican Cheese and Meat.jpg (96.86 KiB) Viewed 4517 times
Publican Gyro.jpg
Publican Quality Meats- Return of the Gyro, braised pork belly, raita, scalivada, pea shoots and calabrian chili vinaigrette on griddled flatbread
Publican Gyro.jpg (83 KiB) Viewed 4517 times
Publican Adobo Dog.jpg
Publican Quality Meats- Gerry's Adobo Dog, adobo sausage, avocado-chimichurri, cilantro-pickled cucumber, onions and mojo rojo on a lobster roll
Publican Adobo Dog.jpg (78.09 KiB) Viewed 4517 times
Nightwood Pretzel Roll.jpg
Nightwood- Pretzel Roll with leek butter
Nightwood Pretzel Roll.jpg (84.63 KiB) Viewed 4517 times
Nightwood Braised Beans.jpg
Nightwood- Red wine braised borlotti beans, lamb neck, fiddlehead fern, watercress, parmesan
Nightwood Braised Beans.jpg (97.68 KiB) Viewed 4517 times
Nightwood Brussels.jpg
Nightwood- Brussels sprouts, cider vinaigrette, prune, wood-roasted pecans
Nightwood Brussels.jpg (109.87 KiB) Viewed 4517 times
NightWood Short Ribs.jpg
Nightwood- Wild huckleberry glazed smoked pork belly, grilled red cabbage, quinoa, jalapeno, shiso
NightWood Short Ribs.jpg (106.03 KiB) Viewed 4517 times
Nightwood Steak.jpg
Nightwood- Wood-grilled hanger steak, fresh chickpeas, celery, turnips, pickled apple, spiced feta
Nightwood Steak.jpg (78.68 KiB) Viewed 4517 times
Nightwood Lemon Poppyseed Cake.jpg
Nightwood- Lemon Poppyseed Cake, meyer lemon curd, kumquats, honey goat cheese ice cream
Nightwood Lemon Poppyseed Cake.jpg (87.53 KiB) Viewed 4517 times
Lost Lake Tiki.jpg
Lost Lake- Tiki drinks
Lost Lake Tiki.jpg (101.64 KiB) Viewed 4517 times
90 Miles Cubana.jpg
90 Miles- Cubano (not pictured: croquettas, pan con lechon, empanadas)
90 Miles Cubana.jpg (102.13 KiB) Viewed 4517 times
Girl and Goat Chick Pea.jpg
Girl and the Goat-Chickpea Fritter, garam masala, sugar snap peas, rosemary-tamarind, yogurt, green mango
Girl and Goat Chick Pea.jpg (109.35 KiB) Viewed 4517 times
Girl and Goat Empanadas.jpg
Girl and the Goat- Goat Empanadas
Girl and Goat Empanadas.jpg (111.18 KiB) Viewed 4517 times
Girl and Goat Perogis.jpg
Girl and the Goat- Green Garlic Pierogies, ramp goddess, rhubarb chimichurri
Girl and Goat Perogis.jpg (82.56 KiB) Viewed 4517 times
Girl and Goat Short Rib.jpg
Girl and the Goat- Crispy beef short ribs, avocado, ruby red grapefruit chermoula
Girl and Goat Short Rib.jpg (112.38 KiB) Viewed 4517 times
Girl and Goat Pig Pace.jpg
Girl and the Goat- Wood Oven Roasted Pig Face, sunny side egg, tamarind, cilantro, red wine-maple, potato stix
Girl and Goat Pig Pace.jpg (69.65 KiB) Viewed 4517 times
BarbaraToombs

4 years ago

Nice! Yeah, that multiple photo upload is GREAT! Just used on my Prescott/Barley Hound post.

Great addition, Skillet Doux! :)
Lunchbox

4 years ago

Thoughts on Thrillist's 50 Things You Need to Eat in Chicago Before You Die?

I actually think it's a good list... I'm sure there will be opinions... :)

And BarbaraToombs/NightBloom, this is the piece of pork I was talking about last night from Nightwood... The actual meat was hidden underneath the greens and the whole bottom (smile of the plate) was perfectly rendered fat... Ugh. I die. So good.
Lunchbox wrote:

And then. This. Spit roasted pork loin with copious amounts of perfectly rendered fat. I tried not to eat all the fat but I'll be honest, when it's this good, it's hard to show restraint. And the bitter greens, garlic, and pine nut salad were perfect on the side. This is a dish you literally dream about.
-- LBX

Skillet Doux

4 years ago

Lunchbox wrote:Thoughts on Thrillist's 50 Things You Need to Eat in Chicago Before You Die?

I actually think it's a good list... I'm sure there will be opinions... :)
Of those I've had (22), the only one I take issue with is Portillo's cake shake, because really, who the eff cares?

Note that unlike many Buzzfeed culinary roundup authors, Mike Gebert knows what he's talking about. It's not difficult to divine which of these were his contributions :-)
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
BarbaraToombs

4 years ago

Lunchbox wrote:And BarbaraToombs/NightBloom, this is the piece of pork I was talking about last night from Nightwood... The actual meat was hidden underneath the greens and the whole bottom (smile of the plate) was perfectly rendered fat... Ugh. I die. So good.
HOLY CRAP! That looks amazing. :o (There needs to be a drooling emoticon on this forum!!)
Skillet Doux

4 years ago

...aaaaaaand you don't get to eat it because Nightwood is closing :-/

http://chicago.eater.com/2015/6/26/8852 ... od-shutter
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
BarbaraToombs

4 years ago

Skillet Doux wrote:...aaaaaaand you don't get to eat it because Nightwood is closing :-/

Talk about a buzz kill! :x
ScottofStrand

4 years ago

Booo! It was a great place.
Lunchbox

4 years ago

Skillet Doux wrote:...aaaaaaand you don't get to eat it because Nightwood is closing :-/

GAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Why you gotta ruin my weekend...?

I'm going to be in WI next week and I'm not going to be able to sneak down there... Grrrrrrrrr... Such a bummer....
-- LBX

Mike Z

3 years ago

fyi Chicago peeps . . . Sprouts has Home Run Inn pizzas BOGO thru 2/24. Stock up
Mike Z

2 years ago

The girl and I flew in to just be IN Chicago during Games 4 and 5 of the Series and watch with the hometown crowd. Hit up classics like Gino's East (whole sausage patty deep dish), Max's for dogs, Harry Caray's on Navy Pier, and even the Billy Goat Tavern for a Double Cheese (chips; no fries)

We did hit a brunch at Bohemian House that we loved. Cool eclectic space, great service, and a delicious meal . . . I'd have ordered anything on the menu, so we shared a few items . . .

- Butcher's Goulash with knackwurst, a stellar slow braised beef shank, and poached egg. It didn't seem like a goulash, but didn't matter
- A 16hr Smoked Beef Tongue Hash with baby potatoes, roasted beets, two poached eggs, mustard hollandaise, and sweet & sour cabbage. The tongue was mostly fork shredded
- Lox & Toast with trout roe and a not so soft-boiled egg. Man, that roe really made the dish pop. Would get it again in a heartbeat

The bartender Sebastian even comped us a couple small lemoncello's to end the meal

Bohemian House - River North, downtown Chicago
http://www.bohochicago.com/

Boho.jpg
Boho.jpg (122.92 KiB) Viewed 983 times