Food Nerd Approved - Discussion

Details and discussion about the FNA program
Lunchbox

6 years ago

cactuschowdah wrote:I will add to the chorus of dittos- I think Scott's suggestion, or reasonable facsimile thereof, is the most logical- not sure how much labor that is for you, Dom...
It's probably not as much work as entering every restaurant by hand into the Google map thread... Something tells me Dom's up for the task... :)
-- LBX

Instagram: @zachary.garcia

Twitter: @zach_garcia
Skillet Doux

6 years ago

I'll sleep when I'm dead.

(Somehow doesn't seem quite so glamorous when "carpe diem" equals "data entry.")
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
Skillet Doux

6 years ago

ScottofStrand wrote:I'm not sure if it's already been suggested as many of these suggestions overlap, but I think i'd like to have it arranged like this:

Board Index>
Food Nerd Approved 2013:
Food Nerd Approved 2013 List!
Food Nerd Approved 2013 Nominees:
(All the nomination threads listed here)
Eventually Food Nerd Approved 2014:
So "Food Nerd Approved 2013" is the category (like Food Talk on the home page), and "Food Nerd Approved 2013 List!" and "Food Nerd Approved 2013 Nominees" are separate forums, like Valley Eats and In The Kitchen? Or am I misunderstanding?

The current heirarchy is Category (the blue boxes -- Food Nerd Approved, Food Talk, Site Chat), then Forum (Valley Eats, Far From Home, In The Kitchen), then individual threads.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
BillBuitenhuys

6 years ago

Being the engineering nerd/detail geek, I immediately did the count of approved vs nominated and got 100% (which led to a "hmm").

Count me among those that would like to not see any history erased.

I think Scott's suggestion for archive is the best I've read so far. Leave the nominee list as it was and have a top level (top post in the thread?) list of FNA 2013 with pointers to the awardee threads.

That aside, I think the entire process was awesome and I do commend Dom and the panel for sorting through it all. Well done!
ScottofStrand

6 years ago

I'm not sure if it would work the way i'm envisioning it but I'm such a sucker for "folderizing". I could see the Category as "Food Nerd Approved" in the Board Index. Within that Category, I think it would be great to have a Sticky at the top with the "Food Nerd Approved 2013" Offical list, but another Category/Folder underneath it that has "Food Nerd Approved Nominees 2013", nice and clean. Then you could move all the topics into that neat folder where they can be viewed easily, including the nominees who didn't receive the nod this year.

It's basically how you have it now, just with an extra folder to tidy it up a bit and make room for the future years of amazing Phoenix food discussion.

i'm such a visual guy, so here is the heirarchy.

Board Index
-Food Nerd Approved
--Food Nerd Approved 2013*(sticky post)
--Food Nerd Approved Nominees 2013(category)
----(Khyber Halal)
----(Dolce Vita)
----(All the other nomination topics)
-Valley Eats
-Far From Home
-Etc.
BillBuitenhuys

6 years ago

+1 ^
Skillet Doux

6 years ago

So you'd have the full threads with discussion of all nominees, and then a sticky post that simply lists them and links out?

Here's the one thing that I think is worth preserving, though I'm not saying it has to stay this way:

Food Nerd Approved

T'hat's the money link, so to speak. After another week or so, the plan was to take down the announcements, so what's left is a couple of sticky topics at the top describing FNA, followed by the nomination threads with all of the attendant discussion and -- as you'll see if you click through them -- the contact info and links to other discussion threads right in the top post.

In other words, if you want to show somebody what FNA is all about, if you wanted to kind of quickly present a "PHXfn Greatest Hits" of sorts, if you wanted to have a single link to post, either externally or internally once more visitors start to find us and the "Where should I eat?" posts start, You've got a concise page right there that includes a description of what it's all about, the final list and nothing but the final list, the nomination text where people sing the praises of these places one click away, and all of the corresponding regular threads just one click deeper. Though I completely agree that the other nomination threads should be available somewhere, I feel like mixing them up muddies the water a bit, to to speak. To somebody who's not familiar with the board -- a visitor, first-timer, etc. -- I think that page is simultaneously very clear and very deep (and will be more so once the announcements go down).

Am I the only one who sees value in that? I don't mean it as a challenge, I may very well be overthinking it. But that was part of the thought process behind it.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
golbsalt

6 years ago

I think there is additional merit to considering SEO relevance as you sort through this as well. (which is what i translate "money link" to. It will eventually drive traffic if it isn't already. You should be able to pull some decent click through data from Google Analytics... and now this conversation just become entirely cumbersome...sorry.
blog.golbsalt.com - "happiness IS just a lick away!"
@_go_lb_salt_ or @fhmarket
Skillet Doux

6 years ago

Poor choice of words. I didn't mean it in that sense. I'm vehemently anti-ad -- this is a site by the community and for the community -- and if it ever came to the point where the operational costs became burdensome (which would surprise me), I'd do Kickstarter or an informal pledge drive looooooong before giving cursory consideration even to AdSense, simply as a matter of philosophy.

I just meant that it's a great link to have people land on. It's a really good best foot forward kind of intro both to the spirit of the board and, if we're doing this right, to the Phoenix food scene as well.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Skillet Doux

6 years ago

Okay, I had an idea and I decided to go ahead and try it out. Have a look:

Food Nerd Approved Forum

I suppose it's probably unreasonable for me to worry that somebody following a link in or stopping by for the first time isn't going to immediately grasp the distinction, and though it still gives me the jibblies, this is the clearest way I can think of putting them in the same place while differentiating between them. And it does draw attention to the fact that, hey, these places didn't make the final list, though I suppose there's no way around that.

But the icons are cute.

What do you think?
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
BillBuitenhuys

6 years ago

The icons are indeed cute!
This certainly makes the distinction quite clear.
And I'm also starting to understand the dilemma you've been struggling with of maintaining information but presenting in a way that is FNA-worthy within the format limitations.
BarbaraToombs

6 years ago

Am I being blonde again? Other than the link you've added in the threads of those who are the recipients of the awards and I like that idea, although I still think that would be better at the TOP of the threads), I don't see the icons you refer to, and I don't see yet how we're dealing with those places that were nominated but didn't quite make the cut this year.

It could be because I'm looking at this using Tapatalk and not the regular site, but I'll check when I get to work...
Skillet Doux

6 years ago

It doesn't show in Tapatalk. No way around that :-/

But it seems highly unlikely that a new visitor would be using Tapatalk, and that's the main concern here, so I'm not too worried about it.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
PHXeater

6 years ago

Looks like a good solution to me! And those icons are cute. Can you be paid in foodnik Friday lunches to edit my company's website so I don't have to throw things at my monitor weekly in frustration?!?

Also, seeing lots of traction from the FNA restaurants. The only 3 I follow on social media have posted something - Noca, FnB, and CPH!
Skillet Doux

6 years ago

PHXeater wrote:Looks like a good solution to me! And those icons are cute. Can you be paid in foodnik Friday lunches to edit my company's website so I don't have to throw things at my monitor weekly in frustration?!?
The question is, would I have time to eat them? :-)
PHXeater wrote:Also, seeing lots of traction from the FNA restaurants. The only 3 I follow on social media have posted something - Noca, FnB, and CPH!
Yeah, we certainly seem to be having an impact, I find that very encouraging, and here's hoping the broader enthusiasm has legs. I've seen a bunch of folks online who I don't think are members saying they're excited to check out some of the places on the list. So hopefully this means we're doing some good. One frustration, though we'll see if anything happens later in the week, is that it's been a month since the announcement and it doesn't appear that it's been picked up by any of the media outlets, and that's disappointing... I think we've been doing good work here that's worthy of coverage and I'd hoped we'd get a little assist, both to help out the restaurants on the list and also to help us continue to grow and improve. But I think we're doing great things here and I believe if we keep it up, we're going to continue to make a difference, more and more all the time. And I think we've laid some rock solid groundwork for future years and given ourselves a great tool to help drive discussion in the interim.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
BarbaraToombs

6 years ago

Aha! Yes, NOW I can see the icons...it was the damn Tapatalk app. LOVE it! Great job, Dom!!!! :)
PHXeater

6 years ago

Skillet Doux wrote: Yeah, we certainly seem to be having an impact, I find that very encouraging, and here's hoping the broader enthusiasm has legs. I've seen a bunch of folks online who I don't think are members saying they're excited to check out some of the places on the list. So hopefully this means we're doing some good. One frustration, though we'll see if anything happens later in the week, is that it's been a month since the announcement and it doesn't appear that it's been picked up by any of the media outlets, and that's disappointing... I think we've been doing good work here that's worthy of coverage and I'd hoped we'd get a little assist, both to help out the restaurants on the list and also to help us continue to grow and improve. But I think we're doing great things here and I believe if we keep it up, we're going to continue to make a difference, more and more all the time. And I think we've laid some rock solid groundwork for future years and given ourselves a great tool to help drive discussion in the interim.
"If you build it, they will come."
golbsalt

6 years ago

I completely agree with your Adsense philosophy. I was only referring to SEO relevance in the context of the various threads being found and indexed by google. this would obviously help drive even more traffic to the forum as well as to the very establishments we are seeking to support. I knew what you meant by "money link" :D
blog.golbsalt.com - "happiness IS just a lick away!"
@_go_lb_salt_ or @fhmarket
Skillet Doux

6 years ago

I agree on that count. I know you understood what I meant, golbsalt, I just didn't want anybody to think ads were coming :-)
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
emmaAmethyst

6 years ago

Skillet Doux wrote:Okay, I had an idea and I decided to go ahead and try it out. Have a look:

Food Nerd Approved Forum

I suppose it's probably unreasonable for me to worry that somebody following a link in or stopping by for the first time isn't going to immediately grasp the distinction, and though it still gives me the jibblies, this is the clearest way I can think of putting them in the same place while differentiating between them. And it does draw attention to the fact that, hey, these places didn't make the final list, though I suppose there's no way around that.

But the icons are cute.

What do you think?
I'm good with this arrangement. I think the icons are very effective (& indeed cute!), & do a good job of conveying the information, but I don't feel like either of them is unpleasantly "neener-neener". Clean preservation of history.

I'm fine with this arrangement. I don't see any way to do it better.