PHXfoodnerds Food Map

Good eating in the Valley of the Sun
BarbaraToombs

5 years ago

Awesome, Dom! Thanks for doing that...I refer to that map VERY frequently!!! :)
LaPan

5 years ago

Great work. I know how time consuming that is.

BTW, I couldn't find Andreoli's until I zoomed in. Is there a way to have a preference view by color?
Skillet Doux

5 years ago

Not that I'm aware of. Those pins do get tight at times. I've tried to space them out as much as possible, but because of the huge number I'm doing this all via KML file, which eases everything else, but makes pin placement a little trickier. If you find two that are right on top of each other and you really have to zoom way in to see them both, let me know and I might be able to shove 'em around a bit. Relatively speaking, the spacing on Cha Da and Andreoli is pretty good, though. You only have to zoom in one or two levels from default to see them both. If you want to really have fun, check out Mekong Plaza :-)

Also, it looks like big things are happening at Google Maps, so there might be some other options on the horizon.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
Mike Z

5 years ago

Saturday I was on a very rare jaunt to the Westgate area. My yelp bookmarks had nothing that far out, and I totally forgot about this map
Dom, any way to make the map link a bit more prominent?
BarbaraToombs

5 years ago

Mike Z wrote:Saturday I was on a very rare jaunt to the Westgate area. My yelp bookmarks had nothing that far out, and I totally forgot about this map
Dom, any way to make the map link a bit more prominent?
You do know there's a link right at the top of the page (under the banner quote), right? :)

I use that map ALL the time.
Mike Z

5 years ago

Yep, but it's nearly impossible to see on a phone screen, and my memory is faulty :)
Skillet Doux

5 years ago

There isn't too much I can do without getting into an aggressive redesign. I could drop in another banner like the "first time here?" banner, but I'm reluctant to do so. The front page is already on the busy side for folks who aren't familiar with phpBB, and I'm trying not to make it any busier. Between the menu bar link and the stick topic that's always right at the top of the Valley Eats forum, I figured that's probably pretty good, but I'm open to suggestions if you think it should feature more prominently.

It's admittedly tough to use on mobile, but I think that's more a function of how Google maps works, and I don't know that there's any way around that. Though hotdish has worked on and off on a standalone app.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
bharbeke

4 years ago

One recent change needed is to remove the Chino Bandido Chandler pin from the map, as that location has closed.
Brandon
Skillet Doux

4 years ago

Thanks, bharbeke... the entire map is long overdue for a major update. I hope to get that done in the next couple of weeks.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Lunchbox

4 years ago

Is this broken? I don't see any pins?

I get an error with this link: https://support.google.com/maps/answer/ ... hl=en&rd=1
-- LBX

Instagram: @zachary.garcia

Twitter: @zach_garcia
azhotdish

4 years ago

Lunchbox wrote:Is this broken? I don't see any pins?

I get an error with this link: https://support.google.com/maps/answer/ ... hl=en&rd=1
It appears that they are no longer allowing KML from external websites - there's a workaround, but for now it's broken until we can fix it.

https://developers.google.com/maps/support/kmlmaps
---
Joel
@azhotdish
Skillet Doux

4 years ago

The Food Map is fixed! But this version is very old. Update forthcoming, but at least it's functional.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Desert Gal

4 years ago

Thanks for fixing the map Dom, I missed it!
PHXeater

4 years ago

Yes!!! Now that I've moved back I'm trying to get to all the new spots and this makes it so much easier when I'm in different areas.
Skillet Doux

4 years ago

I'm hoping to have it completely up to date by the end of the weekend. Which I say publicly so that I'll actually stick to it. (I hope.)
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Skillet Doux

4 years ago

Huzzah!

I think we're all updated. The old map has been migrated to the new Google maps, it's embedded here, the link to it is active, and I created three layers:
  • Food Nerd Approved 2014
  • Food Nerd Approved 2013
  • PHXfoodnerds Food Map
The first two are self-explanatory, and the third is everything else. So you can turn different layers on and off as you like.

If you see any issues, please let me know!
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Sweet Willie

3 years ago

terrific option, thank you for the efforts to put together this map feature. Will be in the Phoenix area over the MLK Jr weekend and plan on learning from this board.
LaPan

11 months ago

Glad to have this back. Now, to find a way to start deleting spots that are no longer with us. If you need some help, let me know.