Spice Spirit - Sichuan and Hunan in Mesa Asian District

The Valley of the Sun, and all that is tasty therein
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

Spice Spirit - Sichuan and Hunan in Mesa Asian District

Post by Skillet Doux »

Such a nice lunch today!

Got to welcome a couple of new folks (ruthw and FarmerMorgan), and managed to confirm that yes, indeed, Spice Spirit is a substantially better restaurant than it was when it opened.

There's a lot of promise here, and we barely scratched the surface. There is a HUGE, picture-laden menu for anybody who's a little nervous about jumping in, and though we certainly enjoyed some dishes more than others, I wouldn't say there was a dud on the table.

Quick bit of history on this place, which is a little entertaining. If it seems atypically posh, that's because Spice Spirit was originally going to be the very first franchised location of Lao Sze Chuan, a tremendously popular (and tremendously delicious, I can attest) Sichuan restaurant in Chicago. Lao Sze Chuan was run by Tony Hu, a natural-born restaurateur who went from running one Sichuan restaurant to running a dozen excellent Chinese restaurants all over Chicago, seemingly overnight. The dude was just amazing. Unfortunately, it turns out he was also a crook. Tony got busted for some pretty heavy duty tax evasion (under-reporting cash receipts, natch), he went to jail, and the franchise deal fell apart. At this point, the original (still?) owner of Spice Spirit had built out the space and paid to send his staff to train in Chicago for months, so he figured he'd better just open up a restaurant anyway.

Point being, it's kind of understandable that it was maybe a little discombobulated when we first went years ago.

Anyway, it's a very different place now, and here are some of our highlights:

spicespirit_fuqifeipian.jpg
spicespirit_fuqifeipian.jpg (468.49 KiB) Viewed 1859 times

This was a solid fuqi feipian, listed on the menu as "Sliced Beef and Ox Tongue in Chili Sauce." Or perhaps the menu title is a little more apt, since there was no tendon involved. Bummer. Still, a good dish. Very thick-cut tongue and shank (I think), with some fairly thick batons of tripe beneath, sporting just a bit of funk. Less oily, more saucy then most, almost a little mellow by fuqi feipian standards, but a nice, balanced depth.

spicespirit_eggplant.jpg
spicespirit_eggplant.jpg (430.58 KiB) Viewed 1859 times

I think everybody loved this one. There's a little showmanship involved in the "Green Pepper and Eggplants with Century Egg." They bring the dish out in a giant mortar and beat the snot out of it with a big wooden pestle tableside before serving. So you end up with this silky roasted eggplant mash, punctuated by bright bits of green bell pepper and mouthfuls of quartered preserved egg. I want to get a little deeper into the vegetables, but this will be hard not to order.

spicespirit_frog.jpg
spicespirit_frog.jpg (487.57 KiB) Viewed 1859 times

I may have been the only one who was into the frog. It's so prevalent in China and such a mild-flavored meat that I'm always disappointed we don't see more of it here, particularly since Texas raises the most prized eatin' frogs in the world. (The United States is a frog exporter. Go figure.) There are an awful lot of bones involved, so I suspect this "griddle" version might not have been the best choice. There are a few frog dishes on the menu, and perhaps one that's stewed softer and more slurpable might go over a little better. But I thought this was awfully nice, buried in sweet, spicy onions.

spicespirit_hunanbeef.jpg
spicespirit_hunanbeef.jpg (440.53 KiB) Viewed 1859 times

No controversy with the Hunan Style Sauteed Beef with Wild Pepper. Everybody dug this one. There's a Hunan section on the menu, and It is SO HARD to find any Hunan cuisine at all that I'm tempted to come back here just to do a Hunan lunch at some point. The punch here comes from the herb that we presume is the "wild pepper," which exit2lef described as a kind of turbocharged arugula. And there are also little bits of pickled chiles (Hunanese employs a lot of pickled chiles) that Nightbloom felt bore an apt resemblance to peperoncini. In any case, everybody enjoyed this one quite a bit.

spicespirit_chongqing.jpg
spicespirit_chongqing.jpg (553.8 KiB) Viewed 1859 times

We did some benchmarking with the Chongqing chicken (listed on the menu as "Hot & Crispy Chicken Bite"), and I think the consensus was that this was a near miss. The texture on the fry was GORGEOUS, and while many of us are decidedly pro-bone, the ratio here was a little tough to work with. You had to nibble so much that you didn't get enough of the coating, which meant you also didn't get much of the flavor. They did offer a boneless version, and I'd do that next time. For today's assembled, I had a bit of the leftovers cold this evening, and the flavor POPPED when I could take my time and kind of gnaw on it for a while. I think boneless is the answer here.

spicespirit_bobochicken.jpg
spicespirit_bobochicken.jpg (765.83 KiB) Viewed 1859 times

Maneuvering the Bo Bo Chicken around the table is a bit of a challenge, but this is fun and delicious. Classic Sichuan dish, all kinds of little goodies skewered and stuck in an oily broth heavy with Sichuan pepper. (They do a spicy version with more chile as well.) Bits of chicken thigh, ham, tofu noodles, black fungus, garlic cloves... pick a stick and see what you get. The only thing I always hate about this dish is that there's so much broth leftover and it seems such a shame to let it go to waste. I packed up a big container and I'm thinking that warming it up and taking a some shaved hotpot-thin pork and greens for a swim should yield some nice results.

spicespirit_fish.jpg
spicespirit_fish.jpg (579.8 KiB) Viewed 1859 times

And the big signature dish, their Wushan Grilled Fish. I call it their signature dish since it takes up an entire page right at the front of the menu. And this was *excellent*. I might ask about a bigger fish next time. There just wasn't a lot of flesh on this fellow. But what we got was dynamite. This broth had plenty of mala going on (though not abusive), but it also had a really deep, full flavor that's a lot less common. I'm thinking it was probably built on a really nice stock rather than some underpowered, thin broth. You can add your choice of vegetables and extra meats, so it's almost fish + hotpot, and you'd do well to be a little more selective than we were. Anything that is going to soak up that broth (potatoes, for example) should probably take priority.

We had a few other dishes, but nothing particularly of note. Some boilerplate garlicky smashed cucumbers, tasty as always, plus some steamed garlic ong choy for the sake of adding a little greenery.

But the buzz is on point. There are some good things happening here. I'm looking forward to hearing about what others try as they check it out.

Spice Spirit
azspicespirit.com
480-809-6030
1955 W Main Street
Mesa, AZ, 85201
-Dom
Nightbloom

Re: Spice Spirit - Sichuan and Hunan in Mesa Asian District

Post by Nightbloom »

Oh man, I'm hungry again every time I see these pictures! In with Dom, this place is miles above where it started and I'm thrilled to scratch some sichuan itches that have been unloved for more than a few years.
  • The fuqi feipan description above is exactly accurate--solid dish. It hit the spot, but I miss the fun texture of tendon and the trademark tingle, I so love, was pretty tame.
  • Loved the eggplant, pepper, & century egg dish!
  • I'll admit, I didn't love the frog and it's absolutely because of the bitty bones. More work than it's worth, but the flavor was killer and I really enjoyed the crisp onions and celery dominating the dish. Fragrant, sweet, spicy veg cooked just enough to become one with the flavors but retain all the texture--yes, please!
  • Chongqing chicken was okay, but there is much room for improvement. My all-time fav was bigger bony bits to gnaw on swimming in a sea of chiles, garlic, scallion, and fried ginger [RIP Chengdu Delight *sniff*]. Fair or not, that's the benchmark for me. Still, I'm looking forward to trying it again, boneless, next time.
  • Speaking of work, that pick-up-stick chicken dish was more fun to watch than it was to eat. Serious struggle to untangle a stick and only the lucky ones were able to keep the meat (or whatever) on the end of the stick long enough to get it to their mouth. Next time, maybe we pull all the sticks out at once while pushing the meats and veg back into the bowl then throw a serving spoon at it? No? The struggle is half the fun of this dish? Yeah, okay, fine.
  • That fish was fantastic. It will be hard not to order that again and again.
Great first pass. I'm looking forward to going back!
davej

Post by davej »

I was there Saturday night and was somewhat disappointed vs previous visits. I love their steamed baos. No where else in Phoenix has this particular style. I got there at 5pm when they opened. Waitress told me they been busy last few days and the steamed baos are all sold out. This is not the first time and I start feel like a masochist keep going and missing them. For an advertised item, it really shouldn't happen for dinner service. Ah well. They changed the recipe of the spicy fried fish. Used to be one of my favorite dishes there. Instead of large meaty pieces of fish, now it's think and small. Just not the same. All the dishes we ordered felt overly salty this time. And I'm a salt junky. Maybe I'll try to hit for lunch sometime to hopefully catch the baos.
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

Post by Skillet Doux »

davej wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:12 amThey changed the recipe of the spicy fried fish. Used to be one of my favorite dishes there. Instead of large meaty pieces of fish, now it's think and small. Just not the same.

This is interesting, because my one thought on the fish was that I wish it had been a bigger, meatier fish. Especially for the size of that cauldron :-D

I intend to ask about it next time. Happy to spring for a bigger fish if it's a cost issue.
-Dom