Little Miss BBQ

Good eating in the Valley of the Sun
Skillet Doux

5 years ago

Another stellar lunch today. I love watching them tweak and adjust and slowing make things better and better. In particular, the beans were ON today. Holy cats, were they good. Screaming with black pepper, thick and laden with meat fat, they were seriously outstanding. I told the guys they were incredible today, and Scott said it's the difference between one beer and two beers. I'm still not sure if he meant for himself or the beans, but either way, strong work.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
M_L

5 years ago

I should have taken a picture of all we had but I did not. Met some friends for lunch and Dom happened to be in the area and came by when I sent him a picture showing there was 0 line 10 till 11 today.

With 4 adults and 2 kids (but most of the eating was done by 3 of us) we hit 1lbs lean brisket, 1/2 fatty, 2 sausages, 1/2 turkey, 1lbs pastrami, 1 pint beans, 1 pt grits. I am pretty certain I will not be eating dinner.

A couple notes, the Pastrami is excellent. It was the only item I had yet to try and I was well impressed with it. I like it almost as much as the brisket, maybe in the right mood as much. The beans, holy crap they are down right amazing now and have a bit of a kick to them. Perhaps it is the nice chucks of what I assume are the drippings Scott scrapes from the board, but there is a solid peppery kick. The sausage which was passable is now really good, the Pork ribs are excellent (though I still prefer the beef ones which are amazing). And the grits are also improved. While brisket is still the star of the show, they seem to be making a concerted and successful effort to bring everything else up to that level. I cannot imagine what it will be like in a few more months but I am eager to find out.

Additionally as a note they are going to be closed for a week or two around the end of June early July so if you were expecting to gorge on the best BBQ in town on our Nations Birthday you best make other plans.

*Apparently we were posting at the same time so any repetition is unintentional.
BarbaraToombs

5 years ago

I picked up crazy amounts of brisket, pork, and pork ribs last Saturday for a pool party, as well as tons of grits, sauces, pickles & onions, and that damn white bread that apparently Texans are crazy about with 'cue and Scott insisted I take! (Come party time, I was the only one to touch it...LOL!!)

But was it ever great to see the looks on my friends' faces as they tried this stuff for the first time! Suffice it to say I think Little Miss will have a few new customers! :)
chrislee

5 years ago

Figured I should chime in to profess my love of Little Miss BBQ as well. I can't stop thinking about it pretty much...ever. Luckily I tagged along with Dom on a visit & instantaneously became a serious BBQ fan.

Not having a background in real BBQ, I was blown away my first visit.

I finally got the family (and a bunch of others) over there today and they all loved it of course. I'd been trying to get Heather over there ever since but she really wasn't interested. I talked to my brother-in-law & cousin last weekend & they were interested so we made it a date & got critical mass behind it. From Heather's 1st bite of the brisket sample, she was giddy. Another buddy that met up with us was the same.

One great bonus from the brisket sample was that I pretty much had carte blanche on ordering. :D

I love seeing others enjoy it as much as I do. 13 first timers & they all loved it.

Today we had the fatty brisket, lean brisket, short rib, pulled pork, turkey, sausage, beans, grits & cole slaw. My first time on the pulled pork as I kept forgetting to order it. Everything was wonderful.
lmb-platter.jpg
Platter o' BBQ
lmb-platter.jpg (236.62 KiB) Viewed 5644 times
We also took fatty brisket & pulled pork to go for 4 other couples & as expected, more immediate fans.

I think pretty much everything we've had is excellent but the thing I just can't get out of my head is that fatty brisket. I don't know if I've ever had more flavorful meat or ever enjoyed fat quite as much.

I'm actually ready to go back right now.
lmb.jpg
Brisket.......
lmb.jpg (223.96 KiB) Viewed 5644 times
AZScott

5 years ago

So everyone here has been really,really supportive of us and I'd like to offer up two seats at the cocktail dinner we are doing with Bernie at The Gladly tomorrow night. It starts at 6:30 and there are 6 courses and cocktails. Send me a message and the first person to respond gets them.
AZScott

5 years ago

Gone!
BillBuitenhuys

5 years ago

Unhappiness is showing up extra early in the Little Miss BBQ parking lot, thinking you are first in line, but forgetting that they are closed on Monday. :oops:

Maybe we'll be first in line again today! :lol:
BillBuitenhuys

5 years ago

While I've tried bites of other people's pastrami before, today was the first day that I got a plate of it (along with some fatty brisket). Man oh man. Next up will be going on a Fri or Sat for the beef ribs. They sure looked good as Scott and his dad were putting them in the smoker today.

We got there at 10:40 and were 5th in line. By the time the doors opened, the line was 47 deep and cars kept streaming in.
davegorton54

5 years ago

I have nothing original to add. I've made about 6-8 trips down to Little Miss and am blown away every damn time. Everything is really good but the brisket is perfect. As lovely as the non-brisket items are (and the grits, pork ribs, and beans are excellent), I don't think I'll be sacrificing valuable stomach real estate to any of them any longer. I had the burnt ends of the fatty brisket for lunch today (with the obligatory white bread, pickles, and onions). I am meat-drunk right now. Awesome work to Scott and everyone over there. You've set the bar extremely high.
azhotdish

5 years ago

AZScott, thanks again for the tickets. Need more brisket! :D

Event write-up here.
---
Joel
@azhotdish
BillBuitenhuys

5 years ago

Pushed back my "fatty brisket only dammit" temptation to have a beef short rib and a side of slaw. Whoa! I don't know how long the rib is in the smoker but it definitely picks up more smoke than the brisket. Lovely lovely thing of beauty.

It is costly at $9 per half lb where a singular rib is 1 - 1.5 lbs but worth a try, for sure.
AZScott

5 years ago

Glad you liked the rib Bill. They do get more smoke than the brisket. I don't wrap those in paper while they are cooking since it's impossible to tell when they are done by feel that way. They are my favorite item we do. As far as the price, I'll be honest, I've never run my yield and food cost on them but I know it isn't good. At almost $6 a pound raw and more than likely a 55% - 50% yield my food cost % is downright horrible. I just know I love them and other people do too so I cook them. Here's an interesting article about them:

http://www.tmbbq.com/you-may-love-beef- ... ters-dont/

Joel, I'm really glad you and your wife had a great time at the event. It's been so long since I have done anything like that, 18 years or so, I was stressed like a mad man. Next time I think I'm going to just let my creative juices flow and not worry about things turning out. All I know is that egg didn't work out at all like we had planned.

Dave, thanks for always coming down. We changed our rub a minuscule amount and we are playing with the salt content. I'm really glad you are digging it.

Once again everyone, thank you so much for the support. It's been a crazy ride for us and we really appreciate your tweets, reviews, instagrams and telling so many people about us.
mrln242

5 years ago

Ive blacked out this menu twice. Not hard to do they have 5 items. The pastrami brisket will be my last bight on death row. No BS. I went to TX in late may, early June for about 10 days and had BBQ every day while I was there. Literally once a day. Best I had was Coopers in the FW stock yards. My thing about LMBBQ is their regular brisket is not always 100%. They are batting .500 at this point on their regular brisket. Ive been dying to go back though and try it again because everything else has always been bomb.com but Im afraid of the lines at this point. What to do? In any case this place deserves 9/10 gold stars!
AZScott

5 years ago

mrin242 - I hear you about consistency. That has been the hardest thing to master and I won't be happy until it's 100%. My other pit guy, Travis, is putting out some seriously great brisket now when I'm not cooking it. He has come a really long way in four months. We've also had a few issues moving to full capacity plus a few days a week and we've learned a few things dealing with the smoker. Our other issue was packers. We, 99.999% of the time, use briskets from our normal source but a few times I've tried another supplier. Needless to say, I have yet to be happy with another suppliers briskets. Our consistency is getting better and one day I hope to never have that heavy hearted feeling I get slicing into a brisket that isn't perfect. Those days feel tear me up inside.

As far as lines, Tuesday is by far the best day if you don't want to wait too long. Also, very hot and sunny days tend to keep the line shorter but not always.
Skillet Doux

4 years ago

I was long overdue for a Little Miss fix, and I dropped in today for the first time in a few months. Hadn't even seen the new smoker yet! Travis told me it took them a while to get the air flow working the way they wanted, but if there was any learning curve at first, it certainly wasn't evident today. Brisket was perfect, sausage was awesome, and the beans continue to be one of my favorite sides in town.

The parking lot is a total zoo now. And today was the "slow" day. But watching the line from 10:45 until about 12:15 has me rethinking timing strategy. I think the message of "the line is huge, get there early" has worked its way into the general population, and the result -- at least today -- is that 20 minutes before opening, the line was 4-5 times longer than it was by noon. When the doors opened, there were about 30-35 people in line. From 11:45 forward, there were no more than six or seven. Going a little later, you gamble with the fatty brisket, but I'm starting to think that on Tuesdays at least, 11:45 or so might be the new sweet spot. As of 12:15, Scott indicated that he was a little more than halfway through his fatty brisket for the day, though he indicated that it goes faster some days. Still, for those looking to minimize their time investment, going a little later might actually be the smart move these days.

Though frankly, shorter lines would be really dangerous for me.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
BarbaraToombs

4 years ago

Ah, interesting strategy on the timing! Will have to try that...
NightBloom

4 years ago

As I sit to write this, I'm recovering from a Little Miss meat coma and pondering how much better my 2014 could have gone had I been eating LMB all along!
Because it was late in the day, I was worried that I wouldn't get to try the fatty brisket that I've heard & read so much about. Luckily, there were lean lovers in line earlier... yay me! I tasted the brisket, sausage, grits, beans, coleslaw, and all of the sauces. I liked it all, but the absoute star of my Little Miss Saturday was the BEEF SHORT RIB!!! Just WOW!
rps20150103_165000.jpg
rps20150103_165000.jpg (55.54 KiB) Viewed 3063 times
Little Miss BBQ is absolutely killin' it! I have definitely found my new favorite place to bring vegetarians for lunch. :lol:
CRISTEN :)
IG: oldtownfoodfanatic
Lunchbox

4 years ago

NightBloom wrote: I liked it all, but the absoute star of my Little Miss Saturday was the BEEF SHORT RIB!!! Just WOW!

Do yourself a favor and try the Pastrami (on Thursdays, I think)... I don't think I need to say anything more... ;)
-- LBX

Instagram: @zachary.garcia

Twitter: @zach_garcia
M_L

4 years ago

Lunchbox wrote:
NightBloom wrote: I liked it all, but the absoute star of my Little Miss Saturday was the BEEF SHORT RIB!!! Just WOW!

Do yourself a favor and try the Pastrami (on Thursdays, I think)... I don't think I need to say anything more... ;)
What Lunchbox said. That Pastrami may be the best thing I ate last year.
Mike Z

4 years ago

Three horrible words: Out of brisket :(

Been a while since I’ve been back. Serious improvement in a few places . . .

The beans are noticeably improved, especially when you add some of the spicy sauce. Lots of scraps of meat swimming around. Mmm

The jalapeno cheddar grits. Guess what, not only can you taste the jalapeno in them now, but there’s nice bits of them

The sausage is fantastic now. Not that it was any slouch before, but it’s spicier with an awesome grind. Really impressed