Pumpkin Ale

Discussion of drinks, alcoholic and otherwise
Dapuma

7 years ago

Best Pumpkin Ale? - Could use some suggestions to try - doesn't need to be happy hour if i can pick it up at Top's or AJ's that works for me

Schlafly's is the best I ever had, looking for something like that - 8% easy drinking and tastes of pumpkin

I don't care for the Pumpkin Porter from 4 peaks, no pumpkin flavor and too heavy and too light on the abv%
cactuschowdah

7 years ago

Got to agree with you on the Pumpkin Porter- tried it for the first time this weekend after hearing the raves, and I was underwhelmed.
olllllo

7 years ago

This is as comprehensive as you'll get here.

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bella/ ... --_its.php
¡Salud!

Rob
BeerPHXation A local Phoenix Metro beer culture celebration and admonition
@olllllo
Dapuma

7 years ago

blue moon's pumpkin was pretty disappointing

Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin sounds more up my alley, i like the higher abv brews

any idea who has that around town?

The Uinta Oak Jacked sounds interesting but i would bet it will be a bit to alcohol forward
M_L

7 years ago

Dapuma

7 years ago

Tried a few more suitable Pumpkin Brew's

Dogfish Head pumpking ale - 7% - pretty solid beer, not quite as pumpkin forward as I was really looking for but it was a good middle of the road pumpkin beer

Shipyard SMASHED Pumpkin Ale 9% - make sure it is the smashed version they have a regular version as well

This is more what I am talking about - Pumpkin forward actually tasting a bit graham crackerish on the initial sip then the hops cut back the sweetness a bit

This is not as good as Schlafly but it is in the right direction

I have a few more pumpkin brews to try but they are all the lower abv ones so i will get to them whenever...no rush there
M_L

7 years ago

cactuschowdah

7 years ago

I had the non-Smashed Shipyard pumpkin this weekend and couldn't even finish it- it was soooo sweet.
Dapuma

7 years ago

M_L wrote:SE put up a pretty massive review

http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2012/10/w ... mking.html
nice list, i have to try some more of those

Was quite happy to see the first one on the list: Schlafly Pumpkin Ale...oh so good...
Libster

7 years ago

The Smashed Pumpkin is much better - less sweet, and more ALC content.

Dogfish heads pumpkin is decent as well.
Mike Z

6 years ago

I'm late to this party . . . or a maybe early for next year . . .

Have tried near a dozen pumpkin brews, and my favorite is still the regular Shipyard's Pumpkinhead. With all the spices it's like christmas in a bottle.

Four Peaks Pumpkin Porter . . . was soooo good the first time I had it in 2006, but it's been weak to downright bleech since. I heard rumor that because of the huge demand they stopped using fresh pumpkins and went to canned? Don't quote me on that though, just know I've been underwhelmed since
olllllo

6 years ago

Mike Z wrote:I'm late to this party . . . or a maybe early for next year . . .

Have tried near a dozen pumpkin brews, and my favorite is still the regular Shipyard's Pumpkinhead. With all the spices it's like christmas in a bottle.

Four Peaks Pumpkin Porter . . . was soooo good the first time I had it in 2006, but it's been weak to downright bleech since. I heard rumor that because of the huge demand they stopped using fresh pumpkins and went to canned? Don't quote me on that though, just know I've been underwhelmed since
I don't know the first year Four Peaks introduced the Pumpkin Porter. What I can tell is is that the first year or so, they did use real pumpkin and encouraged people to bring in their leftover Halloween pumpkins. If you're familiar with the brewing process, this isn't as scary as it seems. The boil and the fermentation process are the reason why low strength beer served as a safe alternative to water.

These days such a practice wouldn't fly. All kinds of government agencies are getting involved. Maricopa Country is requiring 3 compartment sinks in brewhouse for absolutely no reason. (No brewery washes their fittings like beer glasses, they use caustic.)

I can tell you that Four Peaks and a ton of other breweries use pumpkin puree (if they use pumpkin at all in their pumpkin beers--some just use the pie spice). The puree is really the only annual variable. It's either as consistent or inconsistent as you believe canned puree can be. I think a lot of brewers scoff at the idea that you can remember last years compared to this years.
¡Salud!

Rob
@olllllo
Dapuma

6 years ago

I just ordered some Schlafly (Schlaff - lee) Pumpkin Ale, which should ship around the first week of October once the temp gets low enough not to skunk the beer

If anyone is interested in adding a 6 pack to the order I believe I can still place more on hold, it is $9.99 + shipping which they have not given me a quote on but I am assuming $5-10 for shipping / person ordering

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/583/32767
http://beeradvocate.com/community/threa ... rs.107264/

They also have some Southern Tier Pumpkin for $7 per bottle (I think it is like 1.5 pints or something like that, the size online seems to be similar to the bottle size of Shipyard Smashed)

Let me know if you would like me to add more the greatest pumpkin beer in existence to the order (PM me for details) :mrgreen:
Last edited by Dapuma 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
olllllo

6 years ago

An update. Four Peaks Pumpkin Porter will be canned this year. It will be brewery only and you won't be able to fill growlers.

I'm in for two sixers. One. To enjoy and one to raffle at my club.
¡Salud!

Rob
@olllllo
Dapuma

6 years ago

They still haven't responded back to my email, I think I am going to have to call them - hopefully will have an update tomorrow
Dapuma

6 years ago

Finally had a chance to call them and added your Schlafly olllllo

Pumpking is sold out so that is not avaliable

The shipping is filled up so to maximize shipping I would have to add 4 six packs to add anymore FYI
olllllo

6 years ago

Awesome! Thanks!
¡Salud!

Rob
@olllllo
Dapuma

6 years ago

This is shipping out Monday so if anyone else has a last minute request let me know so I can try to add it to the order
Dapuma

6 years ago

Order is shipping out today, the shipping was a bit more than I estimated came in at $130 - we have 9 people and I am covering for 2 people since i ordered about twice what everyone else ordered so we are at $13 for shipping

Olllllo total will be $33 for the 2x6 packs and I was able to get more souther tier pumpking so if you want one of those total is $40

Just let me know and let me know when is good to meet up (somewhere around the biltmore area is easy for me)

The order should arrive Thursday or Friday at the very latest

Olllllo: Do you know when Avery Rumpkin gets released this year? Pumpkin ale aged in Dark Rum Barrells <mind exploding> :o
jtkaya1

6 years ago

Rumpkin was released about a week before the GABF (Great American Beer Festival) as was briefly available at outlets around Boulder and Denver. The supply was quickly sold out and, as far as I am aware of, no longer available at retail outlets.