Nocino / Vin de Noix

Discussion of drinks, alcoholic and otherwise
grrlscout

6 years ago

I was up in Pine last weekend, and noticed the walnuts were a good size and still nice and green. So I gathered as many as I could reach, and recruited my friends to do the same.

We probably got about 30.

I waited a few days, then chopped them up. You're supposed to quarter them, but my poor knife got plenty of abuse just halving them. They do have a shell inside, after all. I assume they are Arizona walnuts (juglans major):

Into the jar they go, with a bottle of grain alcohol, and the remainder of some sauvignon blanc I had:

Doesn't look like I had quit enough. I'll top it off with some more wine or maybe vodka, which ever comes my way first.

Now it sits for a couple months, and then I'll strain it. I'll add sugar or honey and spices at some point along the way. Then it will need to age for a few more months.

As it ages, it should develop a deep, black color:

~ Korina
gardener | forager | permie | maker of things
BarbaraToombs

6 years ago

Arrrghh! You can get green walnuts in PINE?!?!? :o

Details as to WHERE?

My cousin makes Nocino all the time (and various delicious variations, like a Nocino port and a mocha nocino), and she's been getting her green walnuts online from a place in Oregon or Washington, something like that. And I missed the dang deadline again this year; I believe their cutoff is sometime in June for ordering.
grrlscout

6 years ago

We were just walking down the main street, and they were everywhere! Keep your eyes peeled, and you'll also see trees down the side roads.
~ Korina
grrlscout

6 years ago

Oohhhhhh... it's already developing a lovely, inky hue:

This morning, I added a split vanilla bean, some lemon verbena, and a few cloves. Then I topped it off with some 100 proof vodka and a sweet vermouth. Now, I wait.

BTW Barbara, if you don't find any walnuts, I have heard of people using green pecans -- which are plentiful in the Valley -- with some success.
~ Korina
Lunchbox

6 years ago

That looks like a fairly large pickle jar, but pictures can be deceiving... How many ounces is that jar?
-- LBX

Instagram: @zachary.garcia

Twitter: @zach_garcia
grrlscout

6 years ago

I don't have it in front of me, but I think that's a gallon jar... so 128 oz.
~ Korina
BarbaraToombs

6 years ago

grrlscout...My cousin is a "lurker" on this site (despite my urgings for her to dive in), but I made sure she saw this post...she makes this stuff every year. She is very curious to see how it will turn out, as she noticed your walnuts were already developing the hard shell, which is why it was so difficult to cut them. She said when you get them earlier, they've very easy to cut (like citrus) and they're VERY juicy.

Keep us posted! :)
Desert Gal

6 years ago

This whole thread makes me wish I was better acquainted with you Grrlscout!
grrlscout

6 years ago

And your growing pics do the same to me!
~ Korina
grrlscout

6 years ago

The first 40 days is up, so I strained out the goods, and added the sugar:

Initial testing reveals, it tastes like turpentine! :shock: Let's hope it mellows out a LOT over the next couple of months. :mrgreen:
~ Korina
grrlscout

3 years ago

UPDATE: Two years later, my nocino is finally quite drinkable. :D
~ Korina
BarbaraToombs

3 years ago

I gotta think something is very different to what my cousin does, as it never takes that long. I will consult the guru!