Home theater setup

There's more to life than food. Sometimes.
uhockey

7 years ago

Continuing my use of this thread to ask random questions:

Have a pretty decent home theater setup and am debating a new flatscreen. Looking for someone to mount the TV, run the cables to the rears (under carpet or through walls,) and do general system setup. Anyone have a company who has provided a good experience at a good price?
azhotdish

7 years ago

What kind of setup do you have? Components-wise.
---
Joel
@azhotdish
uhockey

7 years ago

5 speakers, a sub, amp, cd, dvd/blueray, tv. Nothing terribly complicated.
Dapuma

7 years ago

The new Panasonic plasma's are very good

they are probably on par with the Pioneer KURO
uhockey

7 years ago

Dapuma wrote:The new Panasonic plasma's are very good

they are probably on par with the Pioneer KURO
I've been looking at them, actually.

Trying to sort out rear speaker wiring options currently as the room is long and I'm not sure how I can run under the carpet without f'ing it up. Not so sure on the pros/cons of going wireless.
Dapuma

7 years ago

wireless speakers you will lose a lot of sound quality

the best option if price is not an object is to pay to have someone fish the wire through the wall, you will not see any wires, it only requires a small hole in the drywall, and then they can put a faceplate and banana plug / pin connectors for all the speakers so you can use thick gauge speakerwire

here are two pictues of how it would look

http://www.av-cables.net/connectors/connectors.html (those connectors)

plug into the wall: http://ak.buy.com/PI/0/500/214953821.jpg

If you have a small room you can get an infrared switch that can be fished through the walls as well, that you can control all of your components by "aiming" at the tv, and the signal will be routed to your components, generally the IR switch can be placed under the center of the front speaker grill or directly under the plasma mounted on the wall

That way you can place your components anywhere in the room and give yourself more flexibility in furniture placement

(as you can probably tell i have previously had small room av placement difficulties, found this to be an excellent solution)

Not expensive solution at all

example: http://www.smarthome.com/59501/Smarthom ... tem/p.aspx

good luck
Tallen234

7 years ago

I would avoid wireless if at all possible. I actually run my rear wires under an area rug. Eventually, in Stage 2 of my theater, I am going to run wires outside the house and then back into the house for the rears (and have outdoor speakers branch off the same spot).

IMO, the panny VT50 is the best out there this year. However, if you want to save some dinero, the Panny ST50 is supposed to be the best bang for the buck this year. I bought a 64" Samsung last year and am pleased with the performance. I think I am set for a while until the OLED's come out in full force and the price comes down a bit.