Hi! I'm Cristen... or, NightBloom... or, hungry!

It's a community board, after all!
NightBloom

4 years ago

Hey everyone, I'm Cristen. Or, NightBloom (because the flower on the cactus in front of my house is freakin' beautiful).
rps20150104_124004.jpg
Goofy, it happens... often.
rps20150104_124004.jpg (5.84 KiB) Viewed 373 times
Finding a site with so many wonderful people who like to geek out about food was certainly a perfect ending to my 2014!

A little about me... I'm a single, recovering workaholic, living in Old Town Scottsdale and eating out nearly every meal. I know how to cook, but it's no fun cooking for just one. Most of what comes from my kitchen these days is some version of "throw-an-egg-on-it."
rps20150104_121920.jpg
Throw an egg on it
rps20150104_121920.jpg (52.74 KiB) Viewed 373 times
I like wine, scotch, beer, and burbon, and I don't like to break the law, so I mostly stay close to home for my dining adventures. I avoid chain restaurants and I don't like chicken. To me, dining out is like going to an art gallery, but better, much much better. I don't have the most sophisticated palate, nor will I ever; but, I love experiencing new flavors and I love being surprised by food.

A few of my favorite restaurants which I visit regularly...

POSH - Who doesn't love Posh?! I've had some of the very best bites here. Recent drool worthy dishes include a truffled egg custard served right in its shell, a goat dish with a sauce that deliverd a powerful punch of flavor which almost made me lick the plate, baby squid over a japanese porridge, mmmmm the cardamom butter, and the most perfect soft shell crab I've ever had, ever! (I just decided where I'll be having spoil-myself-Sunday-dinner!)

PIG & PICKLE - I'm here so much Skotty put a sticker on my car... um, there's one on my tablet too. But if you're going to be "a regular" somewhere, this is the kind of place you want to be. The overall personality of this place and the unique people who work here keep me coming back again and again. Oh yeah, great drinks and food too ;) One of the best dishes I've ever had was probably 2 years ago, pig snout with red cabbage and grapefruit. Ohmigawd! The richness of the meat was perfectly balanced by the acidity in the grapefruit. Mmmm... an amazing combo. The marrow is always delicious, the trout, mussels, pork shanks... I could go on.

LITTLE MISS BBQ - after eating half a cow there yesterday, it definitely makes the list. I tasted the brisket, sausage, grits, beans, coleslaw, and all of the sauces. It's all amazing, but the absoute star of my Little Miss Saturday was the BEEF SHORT RIB!!! Just WOW!

And finally...

SUSHI J - If you've been here, then you've probaby already shared sake with me. If you haven't been, go, now! I haven't seen a discussion about this place yet, so I'll probably start one and share some of the best bites I've had here. And in case you're wondering whether or not I know what good sashimi is, I think I do... Hiro is the only other place I eat.

Ok, so that was a lot. Time for me to get back to my beer and figure out what Keenen's making for brunch!

Happy eating!

Cristen =)
CRISTEN :)
IG: oldtownfoodfanatic
BillBuitenhuys

4 years ago

Welcome Cristen!
Given your OT locale and love of brown spirits, have you had a chance to try Second Story Liquor Bar?
NightBloom

4 years ago

BillBuitenhuys wrote:Welcome Cristen!
Given your OT locale and love of brown spirits, have you had a chance to try Second Story Liquor Bar?
Yes! I've been there many times and that John Christy sure knows how to mix drinks =) I am quite a bit of a beginner when it comes to burbon, etc. so I usually just let him surprise me.
Skillet Doux

4 years ago

In fact, Cristen put up a great post on SSLB a few days ago!

Welcome again, Cristen... hope to catch you at a gathering sometime soon :-)
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
NightBloom

4 years ago

Skillet Doux wrote:In fact, Cristen put up a great post on SSLB a few days ago!

Welcome again, Cristen... hope to catch you at a gathering sometime soon :-)
Thanks Dom! I'm looking forward to it :)
BillBuitenhuys

4 years ago

Totally missed the SSLB thread update!
Good review for sure, Cristen...ya, Mr Christie sure does know his stuff. I learn something every time I sit in front of his bar.