Visiting from California

It's a community board, after all!
MCDForm

4 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I'll be visiting next week for a few days and staying in what seems like a food wasteland of North Scottsdale (North of the 101). I'll be travelling with my wife and kids (6 and 4). Obviously I can't be a regular contributor to the board but I've been digging in planning our trip and I'll provide my input on the places we visit when we are done. Any guidance would be welcomed on our trip as the food options in the Valley seem endless.

We plan on visiting the Musical Instrument Museum, the Desert Botanical Garden and the Camelback Sonoran Preserve so suggestions for lunch or early dinner around those places would be great. We all eat everything and also enjoy beer, coffee and ice cream!

Right now some of the options I've found are: Pig and Pickle, Beckett's Table, FnB, Pizzeria Bianco or LAMP. We'll be here for New Years Eve as well but we might just stick to a chain since that's one night it's easier with the kids.

Thanks
exit2lef

4 years ago

A few ideas near your destinations:

Musical Instrument Museum -- The Allegro Cafe located at the museum is quite good and kid-friendly. The nearby Desert Ridge retail area has locations of Humble Pie and Pita Jungle, two local chains that would work well for family dining.

Desert Botanical Garden -- The on-site restaurant, Gertrude's is worth visiting. Nearby, the Stockyards serves steakhouse fare with a huge side dish of Phoenix history. It doesn't explicitly cater to families, but I've brought my kids there without a problem.

Camelback Sonoran Preserve -- This phrasing could mean three different things: 1) The McDowell Sonoran Preserve, located in north Scottsdale 2) The Phoenix Sonoran Preserve, located in far north Phoenix 3) Camelback Mountain, located on the east side of Phoenix near the border with Paradise Valley and Scottsdale. They're all quite far from one another so perhaps you can clarify which one you intend to visit?

By the way, I would not recommend hiking #3 with young children. It's a steep, rocky, and rigorous trail that challenges most adults. For kids, I suggest the Marcus Landslide Trail, which is accessible from the Tom's Thumb trailhead in northeast Scottsdale. It's a 1.5-mile trail without much elevation gain but lots of interesting rock formations to keep children entertained.

Back to food, I highly recommend LAMP, and by all means bring the kids. After hiking the Marcus Landslide Trail, we usually reward our little hikers with a meal there.
Last edited by exit2lef 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
MCDForm

4 years ago

Thanks for the help!

We were planning on visiting the McDowell Sonoran Preserve so the Landslide trail/Lamp Pizza combo seems like a perfect fit.

I also read the reviews on here about Allegro Cafe and it did look tasty.
BarbaraToombs

4 years ago

I would also add Coconuts Fish Cafe and Perk Eatery in there as casual options in the Frank Lloyd Wright Blvd/Scottsdale Rd/Kierland area. Coconurs has some of the best fish tacos anywhere (and the blackened mahi mahi sandwich is awesome). Perk's breakfasts (particularly the pancakes) are great and served all day; sandwiches also excellent...and bonus: they also serve alcohol. :)
The Cosmic Jester

4 years ago

One of my favorite little places up in that area is Greasewood Flat, pretty close to the Four Seasons resort. It's a cute little place, really more of a bar than a restaurant. Seating is almost entirely outside picnic benches, with plentiful fire pits for guests to build fires (from a large pile of supplied wood) to keep warm. There's a country western band in the evening Thursday through Sunday and in the afternoon on the weekends, and a dance floor to kick up your heels under the stars.

The food is basic, but good. I usually get a green chile bacon cheeseburger and am quite satisfied. Beer selection is fantastic, with plentiful local brews.
exit2lef

4 years ago

The Cosmic Jester wrote:One of my favorite little places up in that area is Greasewood Flat, pretty close to the Four Seasons resort. It's a cute little place, really more of a bar than a restaurant. Seating is almost entirely outside picnic benches, with plentiful fire pits for guests to build fires (from a large pile of supplied wood) to keep warm. There's a country western band in the evening Thursday through Sunday and in the afternoon on the weekends, and a dance floor to kick up your heels under the stars.

The food is basic, but good. I usually get a green chile bacon cheeseburger and am quite satisfied. Beer selection is fantastic, with plentiful local brews.
If Greasewood Flat appeals to you, now is the time to enjoy it. It may not be around much longer: http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/loc ... /18041785/