Hello from Washington DC

It's a community board, after all!
Saycheese

5 years ago

Hi,
I found you through DonRockwell.com, a DC-based board for food lovers. Your board is very impressive, and the food scene is so much more diverse than it was the last time I was in Phoenix/Scottsdale about 20 years ago. I will be attending a conference in Scottsdale next month for the National Asian Pacific American Bar Association, and was wondering if there are any great local late night places in Scottsdale -- no need to limit it to Asian cuisine. Late would mean after 10 pm and preferably until at least 2 am or later. Thanks very much for any suggestions.
Saycheese
(I love cheese)
azhotdish

5 years ago

Greetings, Saycheese! I love cheese too - my wife's a cheesemonger. :lol:

Several places are available to you late-night in Scottsdale proper.
Possibly an off-beat suggestion is Topgolf @ Riverwalk. It's actually a state-of-the-art driving range / restaurant & bar. Haven't had the food there, but the place is pretty awesome. Could be fun after sitting in a conference center all day.

If you're willing to drive a bit, a board-favorite is Cafe Ga Hyang for KBBQ. Hey, throw up an event on the event page, and you may even get a crowd. 8-) (NOTE: I know this sounds crazy for KBBQ, but they don't serve alcohol. Luckily, there's a bar just a few doors down that does.

Hope that helps!
---
Joel
@azhotdish
AZLobo

5 years ago

azhotdish wrote:I know this sounds crazy for KBBQ, but they don't serve alcohol. Luckily, there's a bar just a few doors down that does.
Lest you forget to point out it's a real shit-kicking Country bar. The overlap in the Venn diagram of "people who go to that bar" and "people who go to Ga Hang" is you and Dom and me. But it would be a genuine Arizona moment for the NAPABA crowd to experience them both back-to-back.
azhotdish

5 years ago

AZLobo wrote:Lest you forget to point out it's a real shit-kicking Country bar. The overlap in the Venn diagram of "people who go to that bar" and "people who go to Ga Hang" is you and Dom and me. But it would be a genuine Arizona moment for the NAPABA crowd to experience them both back-to-back.
Touché sir. Get a driver and come drunk. :D
---
Joel
@azhotdish
Skillet Doux

5 years ago

Hey, Saycheese!

I spent a good deal of time on DR when we lived in Baltimore for a couple of years -- I posted as Dmnkly.

Late night isn't so much Phoenix's thing. Once you pass 10:00, the pickings get pretty slim (which is why I usually truck out to Ga Hyang). Hotdish is on point (as usual), and I'll toss in Welcome Diner for good measure, since it's a 10-15 minute jaunt from Old Town. Southern-ish, over the top, really charming. Opinions on the board here have been mixed, but it remains one of my favorite late night spots.

Wherever you end up, let us know how it goes... and as azhotdish mentions, do consider posting a gathering if you decide to do Ga Hyang. There's always at least a 75% chance I'll jump in for a late night Ga Hyang run, and I'm not alone :-)
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
azhotdish

5 years ago

After a bit of crowd-sourcing yesterday, I was able to dig up a few more options for you...
---
Joel
@azhotdish
Skillet Doux

5 years ago

Just thought of another. The full menu at Frasher's is available until midnight every night. Not sure how you feel about Provel and toasted ravioli, but that's another option :-)
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
Saycheese

5 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions! Looking forward to visiting Phoenix/Scottsdale and it's warm climate! It is getting cold on the east coast!
M_L

5 years ago

Saycheese wrote:Looking forward to visiting Phoenix/Scottsdale and it's warm climate!
Warm climate? It is 66 out tonight. It may as well be snowing! Looks like sweater season has begun. Which to be fair starts when it gets below 76, but you get my meaning.
LaPan

5 years ago

Dude.
AZLobo

5 years ago

NAPABA conference or not, we've gotta do late night Korean soon. I'm serious.