PHXfoodnerds App

How the board is run, and how to make it better
azhotdish

6 years ago

Hey guys -

As some of you may know, when I'm not eating, reading about food, cooking or trying to get my stepkids to do their homework, I'm writing code for various web apps I've written. Ever since SkilletDoux setup this board, I've wanted to get the data that we collect into a format more suitable for mobile devices. During my forced PTO late last year, I wrote an Android app that took the Google Maps data from our Geographical Index and calculated the distance from the various restaurants based on GPS coordinates. I've only had the app on my own phone the last few months, and it works okay. It's time for me to take it to the next level.

Here are the two things that I want to do immediately:
1) Create a FNA section that highlights our award-winners. Full contact info, links to their website, pictures, map, links to threads, links to their Facebook, Twitter, etc.
2) Categorize our current data based on cuisine.

Once I have that done, I think I'll have an app that's worth distributing. Being able to see what PHXfoodnerds-discussed restaurant is close is fine, but there's no categorization. Our map data also doesn't capture board sentiment - just because it's been mentioned, how do I know whether or not it's worth a visit? These are things that I need to think about and figure out how to best deal with them.

What do you guys think, is this something that sounds useful? Do you guys have ideas for what you'd like to see and what you'd use? Are you an iPhone user and think this all sounds great but, um, Android? (BTW, my immediate next step after finishing the Android version would be to port it to iOS).

Time to dust off the code and get back to work.
---
Joel
@azhotdish
azhotdish

6 years ago

Brainstorming: Twitter feed, feed from other websites (Eater, Serious Eats, LTH, etc.), ability to take a picture and publish it for other app users, share to Facebook?
---
Joel
@azhotdish
BarbaraToombs

6 years ago

Love the app idea, Joel...but if there's not a Droid version, I'm really gonna pout about it!

I love the idea of making it Instagram/Foursquare-like in that you could have the option of posting pic and sharing on FB/Twitter...maybe even checking in?
PHXeater

6 years ago

I have no feedback except this sounds really awesome! I'm an Android user so happy that's where you'll start.
olllllo

6 years ago

I'd love to have an app like this for my homebrew club. Following with interest.
¡Salud!

Rob
BeerPHXation A local Phoenix Metro beer culture celebration and admonition
@olllllo
golbsalt

6 years ago

I think this is great! I frequently keep my iPad with me to refer to board posts about various establishments when making recommendations to other people. having an app would be soooo much easier. maybe a simple tally of the total number of posts would give some idea of a ranking? obviously a place the board is talking about in earnest is likely (though not always) to be a place worth trying... just a thought.
blog.golbsalt.com - "happiness IS just a lick away!"
@_go_lb_salt_ or @fhmarket
azhotdish

6 years ago

Hey guys - I made some pretty good progress on this project over the weekend. I took all the data from the Google Map and cleaned it all up so I now have good data to use for the app. I created categories (so far I have 59) and put every one of our 281 data points into one or more categories based on cuisine.

The thing I keep coming back to is how to make our data set unique - I'm not creating another Yelp or Foursquare here, so the venue / address / category isn't really ground-breaking stuff. One of the things that I think is really helpful with some of the places we get most excited about is "must order" dishes - that might be a compelling bit of info to display when pulling up a venue. I might crowdsource the data collection on that - if you're interesting in helping build out the data, shoot me a PM with your email so I can send you a link to the admin UI. "Is this your first time here? Here's what we love: _____".

The coding continues...
---
Joel
@azhotdish
Skillet Doux

6 years ago

I just need to jump in here and say that azhotdish has been sending me updates as he's working on this thing, and it's exceedingly cool. I'm really, really excited to see how this turns out.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
BarbaraToombs

6 years ago

Sent you a PM, Joel! :)