Not A Restaurant, No Brick & Mortar

How the board is run, and how to make it better
golbsalt

6 years ago

With M_L's comment regarding her vacillation about her one nomination for this year's FNA it dawned on me that, there are A LOT of great little companies that can be found week after week at some of the farmers markets around the valley that don't even have a brick and mortar, but do conduct local, public access business worth supporting. The Phoenix Knife House FNA reco is a great example of reach outside the main stream in support of local businesses that either have or are establishing themselves in a specific niche of the local food related market. Maybe we could get an entirely new section for these types of businesses? Even a one for a running dialogue on the various Farmers Markets / CSA's available?
blog.golbsalt.com - "happiness IS just a lick away!"
@_go_lb_salt_ or @fhmarket
Skillet Doux

6 years ago

Oh, gosh, please start threads on these people. That would be fabulous. I'm not sure a separate section is the best way to highlight them, though. That can cut both ways. On one hand, when they're set apart they stand out. On the other hand, when they're set apart in a separate section, that makes it easier to skip over them. If they're in a separate forum rather than simply in Valley Eats or In The Kitchen, my guess is they actually get fewer eyeballs on them. I'm definitely open to it, but my feeling is that they're better posted in one of the existing forums, probably Valley Eats or In The Kitchen, whichever seems more appropriate depending on what they're producing.

Though it might be a good idea to change the subtitle of the Valley Eats forum so it doesn't seem to limit discussion to traditional brick and mortar restaurants. That wasn't the intention, but now that I look at it, it definitely reads that way.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
themis

6 years ago

I think farmer's market and CSA threads are great ideas. I've supported Maya's for several years now, and when she's down for seasonal hiatus I split between Ahwatukee and Downtown markets. My time in industrial hygiene had me in all the major food distribution hubs and big food processors around the western US and I frankly can barely bring myself to shop a grocery store, the things I've seen, even from the 'greener' market chains.

M_L's a dude, BTW. ;) Think a shorter version of Jake Gyllenhaal.
M_L

6 years ago

themis wrote:M_L's a dude, BTW. ;) Think a shorter version of Jake Gyllenhaal.
Thanks for beating me to the clarification. Also you should add tubbier, or at least less "fit" ;)
golbsalt

6 years ago

MAJOR apologies for the M_L gender snafu. Was reading M_L and thinking meleyna... thats what happens when you post too late and night!
blog.golbsalt.com - "happiness IS just a lick away!"
@_go_lb_salt_ or @fhmarket
themis

6 years ago

Oh, golb, I have stuck my foot in it many times that way.

Who remembers the SAT analogy questions?

M_L : Jake Gyllenhall :: themis : Kristen Wiig