PHXfn and Personal Blogs

How the board is run, and how to make it better
uhockey

6 years ago

Skillet Doux wrote:
uhockey wrote:I'd have cross posted, and I mentioned my thoughts in the crudo thread before ever writing my entry - even asked if service issues were always "issues," but no one responded.
Eep... I don't know how I missed that post, but I did. Modfail.

Though it provided a good opportunity to kind of show what I'm talking about, PHXeater... there's a link to uhockey's blog post in my reply, but it's in context, it's supplementary to the discussion rather than in lieu of it, and it draws in enough of the linked content that the conversation flows and it isn't a speedbump where anybody reading the thread has to stop, click over, read and return to follow the flow. They can go off and get more detail from the linked content if they like, or they can keep following the conversation down without becoming lost.

Again, this isn't a rule or edict... I just present it as an example of a way to do it that I think works in links in a constructive and non-distracting manner. I think doing something like this is far more conducive to the format -- personal and interactive -- than either dropping a link or blockquoting external blog posts in their entirety.
I think you make a good point here and backlinking certainly isn't a bad thing.....but yes, your LTH experience comes through with aplomb. They are a good board - and an educated one - but certainly not a welcoming one to "outsiders" so I don't know that I'd aspire to that. Not a 'criticism' per se, just my view - I know a number of people who won't post on LTH because of people like nxstasy and ronnie suburban
PHXeater

6 years ago

I see what you did there with uhockey's link to Crudo and I like that way of incorporating it. Good clarification/example - even though I don't have a blog of course.
uhockey

6 years ago

How do you insert a backlink like that?
Lunchbox

6 years ago

Get rid of the spaces below but it should look like this:

[ url = http://yourblog.com/link] Text goes here [ /url ]

You have to add the equal sign, then the link. Otherwise it looks like below:

text

Is that what you're asking?
-- LBX

Instagram: @zachary.garcia

Twitter: @zach_garcia
Skillet Doux

6 years ago

A little redundant, but this'll teach you a trick too, Lunchbox:

Code: Select all

[url=http://www.website.com]Link text here![/url]
...will produce...

Link text here!

...and can be inserted anywhere.

That box above, Lunchbox, is the "code" tag.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
Lunchbox

6 years ago

Skillet Doux wrote:A little redundant, but this'll teach you a trick too, Lunchbox:

Code: Select all

[url=http://www.website.com]Link text here![/url]
...will produce...

Link text here!

...and can be inserted anywhere.

That box above, Lunchbox, is the "code" tag.
That's what I said... You just said it a little more eloquently... :) I didn't know the "Code" tag existed...
-- LBX

Instagram: @zachary.garcia

Twitter: @zach_garcia
Skillet Doux

6 years ago

Yeah, I know, I just figured less chance of confusion, and I figured you'd enjoy the code tag :-)
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
BillBuitenhuys

6 years ago

I'm personally not a fan of PYP nor am I a fan of copy and pasting blog posts on a community forum.

I've been involved in numerous wine boards for the last decade+, mostly as a contributor but also had a lengthy stint on one board as one of the moderators. The most successful of those boards encourage vibrant discussion instead of "reporting". Posts with snippets of a blog post along with a blog link do little to stimulate local discussion. And Dom is right here. This type of board becomes most active, IMO, when it is made up of a series of discussions rather than a series of crafted opinions. I'll continue to shy away from reading and responding to blog related posts. I have nothing against blogs. I read quite a few of them. But I feel the need to comment on very few of them.
uhockey

6 years ago

BillBuitenhuys wrote:I'm personally not a fan of PYP nor am I a fan of copy and pasting blog posts on a community forum.

I've been involved in numerous wine boards for the last decade+, mostly as a contributor but also had a lengthy stint on one board as one of the moderators. The most successful of those boards encourage vibrant discussion instead of "reporting". Posts with snippets of a blog post along with a blog link do little to stimulate local discussion. And Dom is right here. This type of board becomes most active, IMO, when it is made up of a series of discussions rather than a series of crafted opinions. I'll continue to shy away from reading and responding to blog related posts. I have nothing against blogs. I read quite a few of them. But I feel the need to comment on very few of them.
I don't think you're alone here - my blog averages ~75,000 hits a month and generates ~5-10 comments despite a subscriber base currently counting 238. Even mega-blogs like Ulteriorepicure that generate a few million hits a year have perhaps 2-5 comments per post. I use blogs as I hope others use mine - a single opinion on a place I might want to go. Through the blog scene I've met some great people, and more importantly, made some good friends - people whose palates I know I can trust and through that I can usually put together a superb dining agenda no matter where I end up.